Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 21, 2007 3:00 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Yoda wrote:The Last King of Scotland - 8.5/10 - great acting with a deep story and very entertaining. Highly recommended.

V for Vendetta - 9/10 - I liked it much better the second time around probably because I wasn't as critical on the comic book to celluloid translation. Great story and acting. Probably the best comic book/graphic novel movie ever made.

still haven't seen the 1st one, but have really wanted to.

I thought V started out very strong, but rushed itself starting about halfway through. I would have liked to have seen them dig into V more, though I'm not familiar with how the novel goes or how many liberties the Wachowski Brothers took with it.

I believe, though I'm not certain, that the author was so displeased with the movie that he actually asked for his name to not show up in the credits.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 21, 2007 3:01 pm

J35J wrote:28 Days Later - 6/10

Just ok for me.....thought they could have done more....

28 Days or 28 Weeks?

If the former, what didn't you like?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby J35J » Mon May 21, 2007 3:10 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
J35J wrote:28 Days Later - 6/10

Just ok for me.....thought they could have done more....

28 Days or 28 Weeks?

If the former, what didn't you like?


28 Days...

I don't know......there really wasn't a ton of action I didn't think....I mean they made you think there was virtually no one left but yet you hardly ever saw any of the infected either....where was everyone or at least where were all the zombies. I just think they could have done more with it. It was an ok movie but not one that I will be talking about or telling others that they have to go see it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 393)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 21, 2007 3:16 pm

J35J wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
J35J wrote:28 Days Later - 6/10

Just ok for me.....thought they could have done more....

28 Days or 28 Weeks?

If the former, what didn't you like?


28 Days...

I don't know......there really wasn't a ton of action I didn't think....I mean they made you think there was virtually no one left but yet you hardly ever saw any of the infected either....where was everyone or at least where were all the zombies. I just think they could have done more with it. It was an ok movie but not one that I will be talking about or telling others that they have to go see it.

The movie had a small budget, and you could tell in some of the "urban wasteland" scenes that they didn't do nearly enough to make it look like a disaster had occurred. I remember one scene where there was either a car or a bus in the middle of the intersection. If that was a real disaster - as sudden as the movie let on - there should have been dozens of abandoned vehicles.

I just pretended it was accurate. That's the price of watching a low-budget flick, I guess.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
RugbyD wrote:
Yoda wrote:The Last King of Scotland - 8.5/10 - great acting with a deep story and very entertaining. Highly recommended.

V for Vendetta - 9/10 - I liked it much better the second time around probably because I wasn't as critical on the comic book to celluloid translation. Great story and acting. Probably the best comic book/graphic novel movie ever made.

still haven't seen the 1st one, but have really wanted to.

I thought V started out very strong, but rushed itself starting about halfway through. I would have liked to have seen them dig into V more, though I'm not familiar with how the novel goes or how many liberties the Wachowski Brothers took with it.

I believe, though I'm not certain, that the author was so displeased with the movie that he actually asked for his name to not show up in the credits.


Yeah it was different from the book for sure but still, the premise and story were very good. Nice action scenes and great acting as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue May 22, 2007 2:22 am

Just rented Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang. Utterly, hilarious. Downey Jr. and Kilmer are a crack up to watch. Hopefully, Kilmer does some more comedic roles in the future, cause he's always been quite good at it. Good Lord, the girl who plays Downey's love interest is a fox. Michelle Monaghan was also in MI:3 for those that have seen it. In any case, very fun movie. I'm a bit surprised it came and went from theaters so quickly, though it was rather acclaimed by the media.

9/10
Image
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Posts: 1785
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Here, there and everywhere

Postby Coppermine » Tue May 22, 2007 10:01 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just rented Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang. Utterly, hilarious. Downey Jr. and Kilmer are a crack up to watch. Hopefully, Kilmer does some more comedic roles in the future, cause he's always been quite good at it. Good Lord, the girl who plays Downey's love interest is a fox. Michelle Monaghan was also in MI:3 for those that have seen it. In any case, very fun movie. I'm a bit surprised it came and went from theaters so quickly, though it was rather acclaimed by the media.

9/10


Here is my take of Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang

First hour of movie: 9/10
Rest of movie: 2/10

The movie lost all of it's cleverness and momentum; or is it just me? It started out so great... the scenes with Kilmer and Robert Downey, Jr. were excellent as well as the voice-overs and cut scenes through. The script and filmmaking were original and fun, like you said not to mention the dialog was clever and entertaining. Then, the movie just died and clunked along like a boring romantic comedy... the voice overs, cut scenes and campy film-noir spoofage all just kind of fell apart and all we were left with was a smug Roberty Downey, Jr. whining for an hour.

It deserves the recognition it gets for starting out so clever, but it just couldn't maintain it IMO.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Amazinz » Tue May 22, 2007 12:32 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Yoda wrote:I believe, though I'm not certain, that the author was so displeased with the movie that he actually asked for his name to not show up in the credits.

Yeah it was different from the book for sure but still, the premise and story were very good. Nice action scenes and great acting as well.

From what I understand Moore was upset over the political message, not the movie itself.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue May 22, 2007 12:35 pm

I recently saw The Prestige. It was a solid effort. I'd give it about a 7/10.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 22, 2007 12:57 pm

I saw Underworld: Evolution on DVD yesterday. I enjoyed it quite a bit, as I did with the original. 7 or 8 out of 10, definitely worth seeing, despite me being a little slow on the draw. :-B
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 359)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact