Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 10:59 am

josebach wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
Coppermine wrote:although I do have some issues with running zombies.

That's one of the things I liked! I loved that the "zombies" were so ferocious. I loved that the disease could be spread so easily. I loved that the zombie make-up wasn't over the top (contacts and some powder).

I remember being legitimately frightened in the first one. Even though it was a ridiculous idea, it was still believable.


You guys forget that these aren't "zombies" in the traditional sense. Zombies were once dead and brought back to life. The "zombies" in the 28 Days/Weeks Later are humans that are infected with a virus that causes uncontrollable rage.

Note quotes around zombie. :-]

After I saw the first one, I called my sister up and chastised her for telling me it was a zombie movie. It's only a zombie movie in the sense that people don't control themselves anymore. After that, the term zombie is barely applicable.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby knapplc » Mon May 14, 2007 11:05 am

I know this is an older movie but I finally saw Talledega Nights last weekend.

I want those two hours of my life back. What a waste of a DVD! :-t :-P
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 11:05 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
riiighhht...../10


It was on TV and I think my favorite part was from the DVD extras that they also show. Connery said "Well around the same time I was offered roles in The Matrix and Lord of the Rings, but I didn't really understand those movies so I didn't take them."

Nice choice Sean.


Wow, he really said that? Oooookay. :-?

Yeah, he showed his age with that comment.

Saw Children of Men this weekend.
4/10

Interesting plot idea (humanity can no longer reproduce), but the movie had more holes and political agendas in it than all the movies I saw last year combined. First, the world is in total chaos, but it really doesn't say why. I mean, I understand that 20 years without a new human would cause economic problems, but this was bad. It seemed like there had to have been something else going on, and they never really elaborated. Second, the movie's set in Britain and they're having problems with illegal immigrants and Muslim radicals. There was a government agency in Britain that was violently cracking down on these people, and the department's name was Homeland Security. The back of the box actually said, "Special director commentary about how this movie pertains to today's society." Talk about unnecessary.

In the end, it was an interesting sci-fi idea that was used to mask an overt and blunt political agenda. The story was so focused on making a point that it was not entertaining at all.

Someone needs to let these people know that if you want to make a point in a movie, they need to check out 28 Days Later. That movie is one of the most finely crafted, subtle pieces of social commentary I've ever seen - and it was entertaining, too. *gasp*

Anyway... Don't waste your money on Children of Men.


I couldn't disagree more. I think a lot of people let their political beliefs affect how much they enjoyed this movie. Being a moderate, I really could care less about the filmmaker's agenda and judged the movie on it's merits alone. I thought it was probably the best movie I've seen all year and was very disappointed that the director didn't get nominated for best director. The action/war sequences were amazing and were very scary and realistic. Some of the action shots were over 5 minutes long and the way the director filmed them made you feel like you were in the movie. It was awesome.

As far as you not understanding the total chaos, what do you think would happen if humans were on the verge of extinction? Do you think everybody would just keep going on as normal? Of course not. It would be pandemonium, just like what was described in the movie.

9.5/10
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 am

StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
Coppermine wrote:although I do have some issues with running zombies.

That's one of the things I liked! I loved that the "zombies" were so ferocious. I loved that the disease could be spread so easily. I loved that the zombie make-up wasn't over the top (contacts and some powder).

I remember being legitimately frightened in the first one. Even though it was a ridiculous idea, it was still believable.


You guys forget that these aren't "zombies" in the traditional sense. Zombies were once dead and brought back to life. The "zombies" in the 28 Days/Weeks Later are humans that are infected with a virus that causes uncontrollable rage.

Note quotes around zombie. :-]

After I saw the first one, I called my sister up and chastised her for telling me it was a zombie movie. It's only a zombie movie in the sense that people don't control themselves anymore. After that, the term zombie is barely applicable.


I noticed your quotes after the fact. My comments were aimed more towards the comment copper made about them running. I remember after the first movie came out Danny Boyle correcting an interviewer for calling them zombies.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 14, 2007 11:17 am

This is a silly argument but I'm going to jump in anyway because I'm bored. :-D

Zombies, by definition, are not undead they are are souless. So I think calling 28 Days/Weeks Later a zombie movie is correct in the traditional sense. It is not a zombie in the contemporary sense (Romero-style zombies).
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 11:20 am

knapplc wrote:I know this is an older movie but I finally saw Talledega Nights last weekend.

I want those two hours of my life back. What a waste of a DVD! :-t :-P


Yeah, I thought it was pretty bad too. :-t

I think good sports movies for the most part should at least respect whatever sport they're about. In Talladega Nights, they tried to make the actual racing funny which to me completely missed it's mark. The only scenes in it I thought were funny were the ones with his kids in it.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 am

Amazinz wrote:This is a silly argument but I'm going to jump in anyway because I'm bored. :-D

Zombies, by definition, are not undead they are are souless. So I think calling 28 Days/Weeks Later a zombie movie is correct in the traditional sense. It is not a zombie in the contemporary sense (Romero-style zombies).


I'm bored too. Where did you get your definition from? Dictionary.com, has this:
zom·bie /ˈzɒmbi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[zom-bee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. (in voodoo) a. the body of a dead person given the semblance of life, but mute and will-less, by a supernatural force, usually for some evil purpose.
b. the supernatural force itself.


2. Informal. a. a person whose behavior or responses are wooden, listless, or seemingly rote; automaton.
b. an eccentric or peculiar person.

3. a snake god worshiped in West Indian and Brazilian religious practices of African origin.
4. a tall drink made typically with several kinds of rum, citrus juice, and often apricot liqueur.
5. Canadian Slang. an army conscript assigned to home defense during World War II.


Answers.com has this:
zom·bie (zŏm'bē)
n.
A snake god of voodoo cults in West Africa, Haiti, and the southern United States.

A supernatural power or spell that according to voodoo belief can enter into and reanimate a corpse.
A corpse revived in this way.

One who looks or behaves like an automaton.
A tall mixed drink made of various rums, liqueur, and fruit juice.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 11:24 am

josebach wrote:I couldn't disagree more. I think a lot of people let their political beliefs affect how much they enjoyed this movie. Being a moderate, I really could care less about the filmmaker's agenda and judged the movie on it's merits alone. I thought it was probably the best movie I've seen all year and was very disappointed that the director didn't get nominated for best director. The action/war sequences were amazing and were very scary and realistic. Some of the action shots were over 5 minutes long and the way the director filmed them made you feel like you were in the movie. It was awesome.

As far as you not understanding the total chaos, what do you think would happen if humans were on the verge of extinction? Do you think everybody would just keep going on as normal? Of course not. It would be pandemonium, just like what was described in the movie.

9.5/10

I have no problem with political/social issues in movies. I have a problem with them when I feel that the director/screenwriter lets that "agenda" get in the way of telling an entertaining story, which is what I think happened here.

I did overlook the battle sequence at the end when I was reviewing this. When Clive Owen is trying to get into that apartment complex... That scene was absolutely amazing. At one point, I looked at my wife and said, "This is either one of the greatest single-shot scenes I've ever seen, or a shining example of film editing and special effects." If I were a film student, I would die to know the ins and outs of that scene.

That said, I still think the basis for the degredation of society wasn't adequately explained. At 18 years, no one had even reached working age yet. The wage earners most certainly hadn't started to disappear. Sure, economies would definitely slow, but I don't think the real impact would have hit for another 5-10 years when the 20-somethings would start disappearing. Why was something always burning? It seemed like every time they showed a farm, there were cattle burning. Why? Was there a disease? If so, it must have been new, otherwise the cattle would have been burned long ago. I didn't see anything on the news, so who knows. Why was the government passing out suicide kits? Did they want people to die? Could have used some explanation there. How is it that the world economies are falling apart yet everyone is carrying around super hi-tech gadgetry (this is a problem I've seen in many movies, The Matrix just to give an example)? Why were they so concerned about terrorism? Sure, we were in the middle of an underground movement, but what had they done and why? Why did the terrorists hate the government?

But the biggest part of all was never even touched on. Why couldn't people have babies anymore? I mean, that's the whole basis for the movie. At least try to touch on it. They mentioned the flu pandemic right before the birth dearth. Was I supposed to assume that was the cause? I don't know. If there was no understanding of the problem, I would have liked to have seen some scientists telling me that they were were still baffled after nearly 20 years of research. Even the ending was bad. It was so abrupt. No explaination of anyone's intents. No hint as to how this might help save humanity. Just a final shot of a large metaphor and then the credits.

There were some redeeming aspects to the movie, but there were so many holes that I could not rate it higher than I did. I just feel that those holes would have been filled if people had concentrated more on entertainment and less on agenda. Still, I've seen much, much worse. Tailor of Panama will always hold a special place in my heart.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 11:30 am

StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:I couldn't disagree more. I think a lot of people let their political beliefs affect how much they enjoyed this movie. Being a moderate, I really could care less about the filmmaker's agenda and judged the movie on it's merits alone. I thought it was probably the best movie I've seen all year and was very disappointed that the director didn't get nominated for best director. The action/war sequences were amazing and were very scary and realistic. Some of the action shots were over 5 minutes long and the way the director filmed them made you feel like you were in the movie. It was awesome.

As far as you not understanding the total chaos, what do you think would happen if humans were on the verge of extinction? Do you think everybody would just keep going on as normal? Of course not. It would be pandemonium, just like what was described in the movie.

9.5/10

I have no problem with political/social issues in movies. I have a problem with them when I feel that the director/screenwriter lets that "agenda" get in the way of telling an entertaining story, which is what I think happened here.

I did overlook the battle sequence at the end when I was reviewing this. When Clive Owen is trying to get into that apartment complex... That scene was absolutely amazing. At one point, I looked at my wife and said, "This is either one of the greatest single-shot scenes I've ever seen, or a shining example of film editing and special effects." If I were a film student, I would die to know the ins and outs of that scene.

That said, I still think the basis for the degredation of society wasn't adequately explained. At 18 years, no one had even reached working age yet. The wage earners most certainly hadn't started to disappear. Sure, economies would definitely slow, but I don't think the real impact would have hit for another 5-10 years when the 20-somethings would start disappearing. Why was something always burning? It seemed like every time they showed a farm, there were cattle burning. Why? Was there a disease? If so, it must have been new, otherwise the cattle would have been burned long ago. I didn't see anything on the news, so who knows. Why was the government passing out suicide kits? Did they want people to die? Could have used some explanation there. How is it that the world economies are falling apart yet everyone is carrying around super hi-tech gadgetry (this is a problem I've seen in many movies, The Matrix just to give an example)? Why were they so concerned about terrorism? Sure, we were in the middle of an underground movement, but what had they done and why? Why did the terrorists hate the government?

But the biggest part of all was never even touched on. Why couldn't people have babies anymore? I mean, that's the whole basis for the movie. At least try to touch on it. They mentioned the flu pandemic right before the birth dearth. Was I supposed to assume that was the cause? I don't know. If there was no understanding of the problem, I would have liked to have seen some scientists telling me that they were were still baffled after nearly 20 years of research. Even the ending was bad. It was so abrupt. No explaination of anyone's intents. No hint as to how this might help save humanity. Just a final shot of a large metaphor and then the credits.

There were some redeeming aspects to the movie, but there were so many holes that I could not rate it higher than I did. I just feel that those holes would have been filled if people had concentrated more on entertainment and less on agenda. Still, I've seen much, much worse. Tailor of Panama will always hold a special place in my heart.


Fair enough. I dont' think they explained why the women were infertile because nobody knew. They also didn't know how the black woman became pregnant, which was why she was so important. The ending occurred showing the "Human Project" boat getting ready to pick her up and gave the viewer the sense that all hope was not lost and that a cure would be possible.

Different strokes, I guess. :-)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2036
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 11:32 am

josebach wrote:Fair enough. I dont' think they explained why the women were infertile because nobody knew. They also didn't know how the black woman became pregnant, which was why she was so important. The ending occurred showing the "Human Project" boat getting ready to pick her up and gave the viewer the sense that all hope was not lost and that a cure would be possible.

I got that. I didn't want to mention the ending explicity in case anyone was thinking of seeing it. But you have to admit that the fact that the boat was named "Tomorrow" was a bit trite.

josebach wrote:Different strokes, I guess. :-)

God bless America! :-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kyyldynra and 4 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 1:00 hours
(and 97 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact