Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu May 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just saw The Salton Sea with Val Kilmer. Often, I have a hard time deciding whether I like Val Kilmer or not. With every strong outing, he has a really crappy one. This is the former, not the latter. His character dives deep into the meth culture in order to avenge the murder of his wife. I'm not really feeling like giving a full review here, but it was one of the more disturbing films I've seen a while. Not gory, just Vincent D'onofrio. Trust me when I say, Vincent's character "poohbear" is easily one of the most insane characters I've ever seen in cinema. To put it mildly, he's a drug pusher who's done so much smack, they had to cut his nose off. I think it's safe to say, they may have cut off part of his frontal lobe.

Agreed ;-D

Salton Sea was excellent and the Pooh Bear character is amazing. This movie is the only reason I ever watched Law & Order: Criminal Intent
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun May 13, 2007 9:52 pm

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
riiighhht...../10

It was on TV and I think my favorite part was from the DVD extras that they also show. Connery said "Well around the same time I was offered roles in The Matrix and Lord of the Rings, but I didn't really understand those movies so I didn't take them."

Nice choice Sean.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon May 14, 2007 1:31 am

CheeseBeger wrote:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
riiighhht...../10

It was on TV and I think my favorite part was from the DVD extras that they also show. Connery said "Well around the same time I was offered roles in The Matrix and Lord of the Rings, but I didn't really understand those movies so I didn't take them."

Nice choice Sean.

Wow, he really said that? Oooookay. :-?

I was so excited when LXG came out several years ago. Man, was I disappointed on so many levels. Easily one of the worst Connery films I've ever seen. Well, Meteor might have been worse, but not by much. :-P
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bass_ » Mon May 14, 2007 4:31 am

SpiderMan 3.

5/10 Didn't like it at all. :-P
Bass_
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 8:27 am

I saw 28 Weeks Later this weekend, and if you like 28 Days Later and/or you like the Zombie genre, It's a must see. Upon first viewing, I liked it better than the first one.

9/10 ;-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 8:30 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
riiighhht...../10

Nice choice Sean.

Wow, he really said that? Oooookay. :-?

Yeah, he showed his age with that comment.

Saw Children of Men this weekend.
4/10

Interesting plot idea (humanity can no longer reproduce), but the movie had more holes and political agendas in it than all the movies I saw last year combined. First, the world is in total chaos, but it really doesn't say why. I mean, I understand that 20 years without a new human would cause economic problems, but this was bad. It seemed like there had to have been something else going on, and they never really elaborated. Second, the movie's set in Britain and they're having problems with illegal immigrants and Muslim radicals. There was a government agency in Britain that was violently cracking down on these people, and the department's name was Homeland Security. The back of the box actually said, "Special director commentary about how this movie pertains to today's society." Talk about unnecessary.

In the end, it was an interesting sci-fi idea that was used to mask an overt and blunt political agenda. The story was so focused on making a point that it was not entertaining at all.

Someone needs to let these people know that if you want to make a point in a movie, they need to check out 28 Days Later. That movie is one of the most finely crafted, subtle pieces of social commentary I've ever seen - and it was entertaining, too. *gasp*

Anyway... Don't waste your money on Children of Men.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 8:32 am

josebach wrote:I saw 28 Weeks Later this weekend, and if you like 28 Days Later and/or you like the Zombie genre, It's a must see. Upon first viewing, I liked it better than the first one.

9/10 ;-D

Really?!? It wasn't just a slasher flick?

The first one wasn't (see my last post), but I figured this one would be.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Coppermine » Mon May 14, 2007 8:41 am

StlSluggers wrote:
josebach wrote:I saw 28 Weeks Later this weekend, and if you like 28 Days Later and/or you like the Zombie genre, It's a must see. Upon first viewing, I liked it better than the first one.

9/10 ;-D

Really?!? It wasn't just a slasher flick?

The first one wasn't (see my last post), but I figured this one would be.

Reviews have been positive; I was afraid of the same thing... the first one was awesome because it was a semi-low-budget UK indie film. I figured there's no way this could come close to that, but the buzz is positive. People like it.

I'm excited to see it considering I have a certain affinity for zombie flicks... although I do have some issues with running zombies.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Mon May 14, 2007 8:47 am

Coppermine wrote:although I do have some issues with running zombies.

That's one of the things I liked! I loved that the "zombies" were so ferocious. I loved that the disease could be spread so easily. I loved that the zombie make-up wasn't over the top (contacts and some powder).

I remember being legitimately frightened in the first one. Even though it was a ridiculous idea, it was still believable.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Mon May 14, 2007 10:56 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Coppermine wrote:although I do have some issues with running zombies.

That's one of the things I liked! I loved that the "zombies" were so ferocious. I loved that the disease could be spread so easily. I loved that the zombie make-up wasn't over the top (contacts and some powder).

I remember being legitimately frightened in the first one. Even though it was a ridiculous idea, it was still believable.

You guys forget that these aren't "zombies" in the traditional sense. Zombies were once dead and brought back to life. The "zombies" in the 28 Days/Weeks Later are humans that are infected with a virus that causes uncontrollable rage.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk