100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:39 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:American Hustle 9/10
Went in skeptical but was totally sold. Great film.
I do not like Christian Bale at all but he was terrific. If anyone from this movie should be nominated for an award its this guy.

American Hustle sucked. Super slow and boring until they unravel the whole thing in the last 5 minutes.

It's only saving grace was Jennifer Lawrence. :-L

GF thought it was terrible? I've never been more convinced that I should see a movie.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:American Hustle 9/10
Went in skeptical but was totally sold. Great film.
I do not like Christian Bale at all but he was terrific. If anyone from this movie should be nominated for an award its this guy.

American Hustle sucked. Super slow and boring until they unravel the whole thing in the last 5 minutes.

It's only saving grace was Jennifer Lawrence. :-L

GF thought it was terrible? I've never been more convinced that I should see a movie.

I wish I could enjoy terrible movies. Having good taste can be a curse.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:04 pm

I got around to watching Gravity because of the Oscar hype. It made me regret not seeing this on IMAX or 3D. For all the pretty visuals, it's an average movie that reminds me of a 90 minute simulation ride at Disneyland. 5.5/10.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:56 am

I watched the two Lincoln movies this weekend.

Lincoln with Daniel Day Lewis was a solid 8/10. A little dry but that is probably because it's about politics and Lincoln.

Vampire Hunter is a borderline train wreck. About the only redeeming part of the movie is the cool axe tricks, killing vampires and Rufus Sewell. I will still give it a 5/10 because I like vampires but I feel that is a generous rating.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:I got around to watching Gravity because of the Oscar hype. It made me regret not seeing this on IMAX or 3D. For all the pretty visuals, it's an average movie that reminds me of a 90 minute simulation ride at Disneyland. 5.5/10.

I think it was better than average. Not great story wise, but you are right, you missed out not seeing it in 3D. It really pushed the format to entirely different level and it was really amazing to view. I'm not a believer that 3D will stick around so I think there will be a lot of people who never see the movie as it was intended. For good reason, I've never seen a movie in 3D before Gravity where the 3D was necessary.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 am

jfg wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I got around to watching Gravity because of the Oscar hype. It made me regret not seeing this on IMAX or 3D. For all the pretty visuals, it's an average movie that reminds me of a 90 minute simulation ride at Disneyland. 5.5/10.

I think it was better than average. Not great story wise, but you are right, you missed out not seeing it in 3D. It really pushed the format to entirely different level and it was really amazing to view. I'm not a believer that 3D will stick around so I think there will be a lot of people who never see the movie as it was intended. For good reason, I've never seen a movie in 3D before Gravity where the 3D was necessary.

I was impressed by the visuals and cinematography. IMO, the movie felt immersive enough for home viewing but it must have been that much more fun in IMAX/3D. This is the sort of film that can get away with a thin plot and it probably has more allegorical depth than it's credited for. I enjoyed it, but just felt considering other factors, it was average.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Previous

Return to General Talk