Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:30 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:"The place behind the pines" - It was a good movie but the middle of the movie threw me for a loop. I dont want to spoil it for others but there is a surprising transition...

Seconded. Excellent movie.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Looper 9/10

Very compelling and intelligent SF flick. Joseph Gordon Levitt is very good as is the story.

9/10 for me as well right up until the very end. I don;t think it was at all necessary to take the evolutionary power to the next level, let alone to that degree. Cheapened it a little for me but the other 99% was great.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bleach168 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:48 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Looper 9/10

Very compelling and intelligent SF flick. Joseph Gordon Levitt is very good as is the story.

9/10 for me as well right up until the very end. I don;t think it was at all necessary to take the evolutionary power to the next level, let alone to that degree. Cheapened it a little for me but the other 99% was great.

I didn't care for it. The premise of the movie is that the Looper is supposed to kill his future self. There's no reason given why it has to happen this way and it just could as easily be some other guy doing the deed. It's pretty clear that Loopers are going to have issues killing themselves.

I felt like the twist at the end was added because up until then, the story was quite predictable and running dry.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Rate the last movie you saw

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 am

So, I just saw world war z. I guess it was pretty good, but I liked it a lot better when it was called 28 days later.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby jfg » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:11 pm

I saw Upstream Color last night... really interesting. Lately I haven't liked this art house stuff because it's all about cinematography and mood without a coherent story, but this one had a very intriguing story. There isn't a ton of dialogue in the movie so I don't even know how to summarize the plot without giving away the story... but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something outside of the summer blockbuster realm. Plus it's only 90 minutes long, it's easy to give it a shot and if you hate it, you only wasted 90 minutes. There will be people who hate it for sure.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:24 pm

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 8/10 -- So I saw the original Hunger Games movie in the theater and was kinda ehh on it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but ultimately I found myself for the better part of the early movie just having trouble immersing myself in the environment, and it really took away from me following a lot was going on. Just the whole style and dress and districts and all that was going on and probably explained very clearly within the pages of the book were just laid out for me to digest in the opening few scenes and I was meh about it. Not to say I couldn't follow it, but I wasn't into it. So when I left the movies, I said, eh, it was okay, worth seeing I guess. So my fiance wants to see Catching Fire, so I suggest that we re-watch the original movie on Netflix prior to it. Man I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the movie much, much more with a second viewing. I was able to jump right into the plot, follow smaller details, and get into all of the happenings. I enjoyed it a lot, and it made me enthusiastic about seeing Catching Fire. I thought Catching Fire was a better movie than the original Hunger Games. The ending has a very Empire Strikes Back feel to it, which may leave some dissatisfied, but I really thought it was well done, and enjoyed it thoroughly. The only issue I had was being able to, almost too closely, script the entire movie before ever seeing it, or having read a single word of any of the books. When I was talking to my fiance's sister, who has read them all, I told her what I expected from this movie, and really nailed even some of the details on how Katniss would be drawn back into the games, and the ultimate result. I mean the foreshadowing was there from the first book/movie, of course, and one would assume that as the main character, she'd presumably wind up back in the games, but still, it's very rare I can predict so clearly what I'm about to watch (except when I'm watching a Jets game). Still, very much worth seeing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby pjalst » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:50 pm

12 Years a Slave - I was an enlightening true story. It showed another view/aspect of the cruelties of slavery. I think I lot was left untold by the movie, it leaves you wanting to know more about this story. It would have been nice to know more about the familiy of the slave after he was taken away and more about the female slave that played opposite the main character. This story needed a "Roots" type epic to be properly told. The lack of details in the film makes you want to run out and get the book to fill in the blanks. I'm sure the book would be more entertaining, but I am glad that this story was brought to the mainstream by the movie.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 33)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:44 am

bigh0rt wrote:The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 8/10 -- So I saw the original Hunger Games movie in the theater and was kinda ehh on it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but ultimately I found myself for the better part of the early movie just having trouble immersing myself in the environment, and it really took away from me following a lot was going on. Just the whole style and dress and districts and all that was going on and probably explained very clearly within the pages of the book were just laid out for me to digest in the opening few scenes and I was meh about it. Not to say I couldn't follow it, but I wasn't into it. So when I left the movies, I said, eh, it was okay, worth seeing I guess. So my fiance wants to see Catching Fire, so I suggest that we re-watch the original movie on Netflix prior to it. Man I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed the movie much, much more with a second viewing. I was able to jump right into the plot, follow smaller details, and get into all of the happenings. I enjoyed it a lot, and it made me enthusiastic about seeing Catching Fire. I thought Catching Fire was a better movie than the original Hunger Games. The ending has a very Empire Strikes Back feel to it, which may leave some dissatisfied, but I really thought it was well done, and enjoyed it thoroughly. The only issue I had was being able to, almost too closely, script the entire movie before ever seeing it, or having read a single word of any of the books. When I was talking to my fiance's sister, who has read them all, I told her what I expected from this movie, and really nailed even some of the details on how Katniss would be drawn back into the games, and the ultimate result. I mean the foreshadowing was there from the first book/movie, of course, and one would assume that as the main character, she'd presumably wind up back in the games, but still, it's very rare I can predict so clearly what I'm about to watch (except when I'm watching a Jets game). Still, very much worth seeing.

+1

I might even go as high as 8.5/10
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 am

American Hustle 9/10
Went in skeptical but was totally sold. Great film.
I do not like Christian Bale at all but he was terrific. If anyone from this movie should be nominated for an award its this guy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:American Hustle 9/10
Went in skeptical but was totally sold. Great film.
I do not like Christian Bale at all but he was terrific. If anyone from this movie should be nominated for an award its this guy.

American Hustle sucked. Super slow and boring until they unravel the whole thing in the last 5 minutes.

It's only saving grace was Jennifer Lawrence. :-L
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk