Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:14 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:I couldn't finish this movie. I wasn't that it was bad, I just couldn't get over the premise of the movie. There is no culture messed up enough to find entertainment in the killing children.

With all the terrible people and effed up things in this world (child soldiers, prison camps, torture, etc), this is really what prevented you from getting through the movie? I honestly couldn't disagree more.

Watching children kill each other for entertainment is completely irrational. Real life humans can sink pretty low, but I don't think they have ever sunk that low. Not on the grand scale described in the Hunger Games.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm

bleach168 wrote:I just couldn't get over the premise of the movie. There is no culture messed up enough to find entertainment in the killing children.
ive never seen the movie, nor do i plan too, based upon this alone
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 702)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:03 pm

bleach168 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:I couldn't finish this movie. I wasn't that it was bad, I just couldn't get over the premise of the movie. There is no culture messed up enough to find entertainment in the killing children.

With all the terrible people and effed up things in this world (child soldiers, prison camps, torture, etc), this is really what prevented you from getting through the movie? I honestly couldn't disagree more.

Watching children kill each other for entertainment is completely irrational. Real life humans can sink pretty low, but I don't think they have ever sunk that low. Not on the grand scale described in the Hunger Games.

Is it that different than ancient Rome or Greece? Were children ever part of the 'games'? They were pretty brutal in Sparta, no?

I gotta agree with GF, here. I wasn't really wowed by the movie or anything, but I didn't have much trouble suspending disbelief to accept the world as being acceptable.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 349)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:55 pm

bleach168 wrote:Hunger Games ?/10

I couldn't finish this movie. I wasn't that it was bad, I just couldn't get over the premise of the movie. There is no culture messed up enough to find entertainment in the killing children. This world could never exist. I didn't read the books but I did wiki the Hunger Games universe and couldn't find an explanation. Am I missing something?

You obviously haven't read nor seen Battle Royale.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am

I couldn't finish this movie. I wasn't that it was bad, I just couldn't get over the premise of the movie. There is no culture messed up enough to find entertainment in the killing children. This world could never exist. I didn't read the books but I did wiki the Hunger Games universe and couldn't find an explanation. Am I missing something?

I liked the movie. I was a fan of the first book (the others are not nearly as good) so I was looking forward to it but I disappointed a little, just a little.

There is an explanation in the book. Something about keeping the districts submissive while at the same time giving hope. The winner becomes a hero and his/her district gets tons of food. At the same time it is a message to the districts that rebelled that the government can take their finest and kill them at any time...or something like that.

As for the suspension of disbelief, gladiator games did exist and even today people watch dog fights and combat sports so this isn't too much of a stretch to be able to suspend disbelief and enjoy, at least for me.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby silentjim » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:41 am

Mookie4ever wrote:

I liked the movie. I was a fan of the first book (the others are not nearly as good) so I was looking forward to it but I disappointed a little, just a little.

There is an explanation in the book. Something about keeping the districts submissive while at the same time giving hope. The winner becomes a hero and his/her district gets tons of food. At the same time it is a message to the districts that rebelled that the government can take their finest and kill them at any time...or something like that.

As for the suspension of disbelief, gladiator games did exist and even today people watch dog fights and combat sports so this isn't too much of a stretch to be able to suspend disbelief and enjoy, at least for me.

I think you need to either watch the movies or read the books to make a comment like the one above. I'm not saying the premise isn't a bit horrific, but based on everything provided I don't think this is far fetched at all. It's a brutal combination but when you look at things our so called civilizations have done in the past 100 years even, I don't see this as crazy. It's a creepy alternative that many people would embrace if it meant their own survival. The combination of the two classes of people, the rewards for the winners and their districts, and then as Mookie pointed out, submission only works when their is a glimmer of hope. Otherwise people would quit, not work, or provide for what the first class needs.

Again not saying you can't think it's creepy and sick, just that its hard to form an opinion on something if you don't give it a chance. I think to say "this world could never exist" is pretty crazy though. Far-fetched maybe, but if you knew nothing of History and I explained Gladiator games, or Nazis, or Rwanda, or 100s of other massacres and horrible civilizations you'd be horrified as well. Most movies need a person to suspend some form of logic and disbelief.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:46 am

silentjim wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

I think you need to either watch the movies or read the books to make a comment like the one above. I'm not saying the premise isn't a bit horrific, but based on everything provided I don't think this is far fetched at all. It's a brutal combination but when you look at things our so called civilizations have done in the past 100 years even, I don't see this as crazy. It's a creepy alternative that many people would embrace if it meant their own survival. The combination of the two classes of people, the rewards for the winners and their districts, and then as Mookie pointed out, submission only works when their is a glimmer of hope. Otherwise people would quit, not work, or provide for what the first class needs.

Again not saying you can't think it's creepy and sick, just that its hard to form an opinion on something if you don't give it a chance. I think to say "this world could never exist" is pretty crazy though. Far-fetched maybe, but if you knew nothing of History and I explained Gladiator games, or Nazis, or Rwanda, or 100s of other massacres and horrible civilizations you'd be horrified as well. Most movies need a person to suspend some form of logic and disbelief.

Yeah, if you didn't read the books I can see where the movie might just confuse you. But I agree with Mookie and silentjim here.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Someone needs to make a movie out of the Ehud-King Eglon story.

Haha, the birth of the southpaw advantage!
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Tavish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 pm

The hardest part for me of watching The Hunger Games was that I felt like at any moment someone would tell me Whitman, Price, and Haddad were last season's losers.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:With all the terrible people and effed up things in this world (child soldiers, prison camps, torture, etc), this is really what prevented you from getting through the movie? I honestly couldn't disagree more.

Is it that different than ancient Rome or Greece? Were children ever part of the 'games'? They were pretty brutal in Sparta, no?

I gotta agree with GF, here. I wasn't really wowed by the movie or anything, but I didn't have much trouble suspending disbelief to accept the world as being acceptable.

I believe I heard the author of the Hunger Games was inspired when flipping between channels and seeing coverage of war and reality TV. Anyway, the plot is somewhat similar to Myth of Theseus:

In Greek mythology, the people of Athens were at one point compelled by King Minos of Crete to choose 14 young noble citizens (seven young men and seven maidens) to be offered as sacrificial victims to the half-human, half-bovine monster Minotaur for devour in retribution for the death of Minos' son Androgeos. The victims were drawn by lots, were required to go unarmed, and would end up either being consumed by Minotaur or getting lost and perishing in the Labyrinth, the maze-like structure where Minotaur was kept. The offerings were to take place every one, seven or nine years and actually lasted until Theseus volunteered to join the third group of the would-be victims, killed the monster and led his companions safely out of the Labyrinth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificia ... f_Minotaur
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk