Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby wrveres » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:Other movies are left in this masterpieces shadow. Simply one of the greatest stories ever told.
spot on.
Easily in my top 5 of all time.
It's an 11/10 for me.

Gangster Squad. 6/10
good movie, not great. Wasn't one of Sean Penns best, and the movie was very predictable, right up to the fight scene at the end. It had it's moments, mostly due to cinematography and solid editing.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Rate the last movie you saw

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Not impressed with Daniel Day-Lewis, either.

Now, I didn't love this movie, but this statement I absolutely do not understand. DDL was epically great as Lincoln. I think, to help you understand how good he was, try to imagine someone else in the role.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:05 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:

Now, I didn't love this movie, but this statement I absolutely do not understand. DDL was epically great as Lincoln. I think, to help you understand how good he was, try to imagine someone else in the role.

Havent seen Lincoln but "There will be blood" was not that great. I get it, he likes other peoples milkshakes.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

Havent seen Lincoln but "There will be blood" was not that great. I get it, he likes other peoples milkshakes.

There Will Be Blood was a great character study. I suppose those who didn't like it didn't like an emotionally draining film with little redeeming qualities, but that was exactly what it was meant to be.

As far as Lincoln goes, I'd like to see it, but just haven't rushed out to see it. Like TWBB, it is another character study film which happens to be led by the same actor who has shown to do a character study film well.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:33 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:There Will Be Blood was a great character study. I suppose those who didn't like it didn't like an emotionally draining film with little redeeming qualities, but that was exactly what it was meant to be.

Terrific and accurate breakdown. :-D
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:59 pm

Best DDL role was Bill the Butcher. I think that movie in whole was a lot better than people said, but mostly because of the way he played Bill the Butcher. Top 10 film character of all time in my book.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:25 pm

Zero Dark Thirty 9/10. Great movie and story. I remembered all the different events happening in the run up to the big night. It got high marks for avoiding all the politics, but I took one small point for hollywoodizing the chics role in everything.

Parker 8/10. The roles been played by some of the greats, but it's always a good story. And even though half the rappers in NYC have seen Jennifer Lopez in her panties, it's still worth an extra point in my rankings.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:34 pm

wrveres wrote:
Parker 8/10. The roles been played by some of the greats, but it's always a good story.

Best played by the great Corin Nemec.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 am

jfg wrote:Best DDL role was Bill the Butcher. I think that movie in whole was a lot better than people said, but mostly because of the way he played Bill the Butcher. Top 10 film character of all time in my book.

I thought Gangs of New York was a bloated mess. DDL is by far the best thing going in that movie. Had Bill the Butcher been a better written character, it probably would have been as good a portrayal as Daniel Plainview.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 am

lastingsgriller wrote:

He kinda looked like him and used a raspy voice? Just not getting it, I guess. He was just kind of "there". As he should have been.

Watched Zero Dark Thirty yesterday. I'll say 7/10. Entertaining, but obviously not entirely realistic. Wasn't as entertaining as it could have been since I already knew everything that was going to happen, but that's not the film's fault. I thought it was kinda funny how it was like "attack on America" fast forward 8 years "OK now lets really get serious about finding this guy". Up until then it was a bunch of arabs being unlawfully detained and tortured and a crazy woman running around looking for Abu Ahmed. Should have had Daniel-Day Lewis play Osama. Then he could have got "Best Extra" in addition to whatever he wins from Lincoln. I also now have the urge to go and watch the Usual Suspects again.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk