Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:06 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
J35J wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: Django is probably more enjoyable, but that doesn't make it better.


To me "enjoyable" is all that matters.


Fair enough. I've enjoyed films I could never fathom giving more than a 6/10. Conversely, I don't think a film like say, Schindler's List can be enjoyable in terms of entertainment value, but on artistic merits, it's a very well made film. I see evaluating a film as different as rating based on how much it can be subjectively liked.


I've never seen Schindler's List because it never looked enjoyable to begin with. I really could care less about "artistic merit". If I'm going to waste 2-3 hours of my time on a movie I better enjoy it.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10464
(Past Year: 620)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:30 pm

J35J wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
J35J wrote:
To me "enjoyable" is all that matters.


Fair enough. I've enjoyed films I could never fathom giving more than a 6/10. Conversely, I don't think a film like say, Schindler's List can be enjoyable in terms of entertainment value, but on artistic merits, it's a very well made film. I see evaluating a film as different as rating based on how much it can be subjectively liked.


I've never seen Schindler's List because it never looked enjoyable to begin with. I really could care less about "artistic merit". If I'm going to waste 2-3 hours of my time on a movie I better enjoy it.


J35J, couldnt have said it better myself.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 920
(Past Year: 68)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:26 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Django Unchained - 7.5/10

A sloppy, disjointed mess of a film, but it was very entertaining throughout and lived up to expectations. The last half-hour of the movie hurt the rating, all in all, and the characters seemed underdeveloped. Outside of that, a satisfying Tarantino film. Waltz steals the show, even though it seems like he's playing a re-hashed, more benevolent version of Hans Landa. DiCaprio's Calvin Candie is delightfully sinister, although I wish he had more screen time. It has more action scenes than the other historical Tarantino revenge fantasy Inglourious Basterds had, which sates any action aficionado. (Comparing Django with Basterds, Basterds was a better film in general.)


I second this opinion. Just watched it this afternoon. 7/10.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 920
(Past Year: 68)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:36 am

The Life of Pi - BORING - I dont see why they made this movie. Very odd attempt at being a transcendent epic about survival and it came across as sanctimonious. Yuck.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 920
(Past Year: 68)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:50 am

Didn't really have a thing to do yesterday and stumbled across Instinct on some cable channel and since I like Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding, Jr., I figured I'd give it a watch...wow, not sure if I was just that bored or what but I was pleasantly surprised. 8/10
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10464
(Past Year: 620)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:49 am

I've just tuned into Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on HDNet just now. I haven't watched it in ages. One of my favorite movies, which I'll rate 9/10.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21672
(Past Year: 452)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 am

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:The Life of Pi - BORING - I dont see why they made this movie. Very odd attempt at being a transcendent epic about survival and it came across as sanctimonious. Yuck.


Yeah this^

Life Of PI 3D: 2/10

Disappointing what this could have been.
If you're one of those magpies who loved the shiny objects of Avatar, this is for you.
If someone whacking off about religion every 5 minutes is not your cup of tea, AVOID

RICHARD PARKER!
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11338
(Past Year: 143)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby j24jags » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Silver Linings Playbook - 9/10
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Bradley Cooper & Jennifer Lawrence were both outstanding. It was much less about sports than I expected going in. The soundtrack really played a vital part in setting the tone and I thought it was great. Very well-done. Good combination of comedy & a strong storyline.

Lincoln - 7/10
I understand that Daniel Day-Lewis will win the Oscar for this, and it was a great performance. Overall, it was a bit long & boring. I found myself almost falling asleep at one point. It was very well-done & the kind of film that the Academy will love, but it doesn't have a high re-watchability or entertainment score.

Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10
Somewhat similar to Lincoln except IMO a more interesting story with some action. I'd say until the final 30 minutes, ZDT was closer to a 7 in my book, but I really enjoyed the raid at the end. I thought it was very intense & well-done. Jessica Chastain was great. Kathryn Bigelow overall did a great job setting the tone, but it was also a bit long and dragged on at times.

The Usual Suspects - 10/10
Wow. I watched this on Netflix for the first time yesterday and found that I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. That is the sign of a great movie. I don't want to get into any details to risk spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it. This jumped into my top 5-10 films of all-time though. Kevin Spacey and believe it or not Stephen Baldwin were both great. A must watch for anyone who enjoys crime/thrillers.
Image
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10340
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:46 pm

j24jags wrote:The Usual Suspects - 10/10
Wow. I watched this on Netflix for the first time yesterday and found that I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. That is the sign of a great movie. I don't want to get into any details to risk spoiling it for anyone who hasn't seen it. This jumped into my top 5-10 films of all-time though. Kevin Spacey and believe it or not Stephen Baldwin were both great. A must watch for anyone who enjoys crime/thrillers.


Its an older movie but a classic so I wouldnt worry about spoiling it for everyone. Kaiser Soze is one of the greatest mythical characters of all time. I could talk about how awesome this movie is for days at a time. The scene at the end where Spacey is telling his story from what he sees around the police office is pure genius as well as the walk to the car where he changes his walking pattern.

Other movies are left in this masterpieces shadow. Simply one of the greatest stories ever told.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 920
(Past Year: 68)
Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:43 pm

j24jags wrote:Lincoln - 7/10
I understand that Daniel Day-Lewis will win the Oscar for this, and it was a great performance. Overall, it was a bit long & boring. I found myself almost falling asleep at one point. It was very well-done & the kind of film that the Academy will love, but it doesn't have a high re-watchability or entertainment score.

Watched this a few weeks ago. Not impressed. It was pretty boring. Not impressed with Daniel Day-Lewis, either. I really like his other work but at this point they're just lauding him because of his name. I also hate Joseph Gordon-Levitt with a passion so that didn't help matters (he's terrible, and it seems like he's been in half the movies I've watched lately).

I'll probably watch Zero Dark Thirty just for some AMERICA, F*&% YEAH! laughs. They actually cast Bert Macklin as a Navy Seal!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3033
(Past Year: 528)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact