Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Basterds was boring as all hell.

Boring in that a few scenes drag a bit too long due to the dialogue, although I find that to be a minor criticism. There's not a wasted line in the most pivotal scenes.

I haven't seen Django a second time yet, but I'd say Basterds gets better on repeat viewing. Basterds is sort of on a par with Pulp Fiction, in that they're both laden in subtext, which makes repeat viewings easier to appreciate the film. IMO, Basterds had better dialogue, acting, characters, and pacing. Django is probably more enjoyable, but that doesn't make it better.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Ya, my issue with Basterds is that almost every scene lasted for 30 minutes and just dragged on. I loved the first 15 minutes but the rest of it bored the hell out of me.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 811)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:33 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Ya, my issue with Basterds is that almost every scene lasted for 30 minutes and just dragged on. I loved the first 15 minutes but the rest of it bored the hell out of me.

Is that the one where they play Celebrity Heads for 3 hours?
I can't remember how good the movie was, all I can remember is being bored by that scene :-b
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:46 am

AussieDodger wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Ya, my issue with Basterds is that almost every scene lasted for 30 minutes and just dragged on. I loved the first 15 minutes but the rest of it bored the hell out of me.

Is that the one where they play Celebrity Heads for 3 hours?
I can't remember how good the movie was, all I can remember is being bored by that scene :-b

Exactly.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 am

First time I think we've ever agreed on a movie. And it's complete agreement here. Loved the opening sequence/scene and after that it was somewhat forgettable. I'm actually considering going back and watching it again, because based on your assessment now I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't actually a brilliant film. :-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 am

The Artful Dodger wrote: Django is probably more enjoyable, but that doesn't make it better.

To me "enjoyable" is all that matters.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

J35J wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: Django is probably more enjoyable, but that doesn't make it better.

This.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

First time I think we've ever agreed on a movie. And it's complete agreement here. Loved the opening sequence/scene and after that it was somewhat forgettable. I'm actually considering going back and watching it again, because based on your assessment now I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't actually a brilliant film. :-D

Then this is the first time you've ever been right about a movie. Congratulations!
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby stevethumb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... pxSdXnykTA

new jackie robinson movie coming out this spring...titled "42"...Harrison Ford as Branch rickey looks pretty good
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 pm

J35J wrote:

Fair enough. I've enjoyed films I could never fathom giving more than a 6/10. Conversely, I don't think a film like say, Schindler's List can be enjoyable in terms of entertainment value, but on artistic merits, it's a very well made film. I see evaluating a film as different as rating based on how much it can be subjectively liked.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk