Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:58 pm

jfg wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but there are some movies where you don't even need to suspend disbelief even though they are ludicrous when you think about it. Children of Men and V For Vendetta come to mind. Then you have other movies that do such a poor job of setting up the story that you are scoffing at the premise the whole time and can't flip the switch to just enjoy the movie. Hunger Games comes to mind. For how good the first two were, I'm hoping that I don't agree with you on Dark Knight Rises.

I don't understand your critcism. I think that you like Children of Men and V for Vendetta and you don't like Hunger Games. Fwiw I like all three of these movies. Don't know why you would scoff at the premise of Hunger Games, it's similar to all post-apocalyptic movies. Running Man, Mad Max etc have similar settings.

Suspension of disbelief is an indulgence that the filmmaker asks of you when it is necessary to the story. Star wars cannot get off the ground without you agreeing with the filmmaker asking you to believe in the force, Avatar cannot be made without a suspension of science-fiction disbelief. This batman movie doesn't ask for a suspension of disbelief, it's asking you to ignore creative laziness so that you can bask in its cinematic beauty. And it is beautiful to watch, but it's lazy with continuity and consistency. All the things listed by me and GF are just annoying. I didn't pay for McGyer, I wanted Batman.

Suspension of disbelief does not apply to motivation. You can't just gloss over the motivation of the bad guys and sweep it under the rug. Too many people in my theatre were just asking each other why the hell the bad guys were sacrificing their lives. That's the underpinning of the entire story and the answer was just unsatisfying.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:23 pm

Mookie said it better than I ever could. I didn't have a problem with there being a flying invisible aircraft carrier in The Avengers because it's just there to be cool/visually impressive and doesn't hurt the characters/plot/motivations by being there. Meanwhile TDKR completely ignores structure, motivation, and leaves ridiculous plot holes. I guess the term "suspension of belief" isn't the best way to describe it but you basically have to not care about those things to enjoy the movie.

I did expect quite a bit out of going in, but I can objectively look back on it and say it was just a bad movie. My expectations had nothing to do with it, I gave it multiple chances to redeem itself and it failed time after time. Saying that movie is on the same level as the first two is just insanity.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 829)

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:43 pm

In regards to Hunger Games, they did an awful job with how it was setup. Maybe if I'd read the books I'd feel different, but they put a couple sentence "Here's what happened" on the beginning of the movie and then expected me to believe that all of these people just deal with it. 15-20 minutes to setup the story would have done wonders for the plot.

My favorite movies are sci-fi, fantasy and dystopia related stuff, but there has to be some kind of opening where you believe that the world can exist as the film maker wants it.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:49 pm

jfg wrote:In regards to Hunger Games, they did an awful job with how it was setup. Maybe if I'd read the books I'd feel different, but they put a couple sentence "Here's what happened" on the beginning of the movie and then expected me to believe that all of these people just deal with it. 15-20 minutes to setup the story would have done wonders for the plot.

My favorite movies are sci-fi, fantasy and dystopia related stuff, but there has to be some kind of opening where you believe that the world can exist as the film maker wants it.

Yup, it's almost as if they just expected everyone to have read the book before hand. I'm very much glad I did read the book first otherwise I don't think I would have liked the movie much at all...

Book = 9/10
Movie = 6/10
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Rate the last movie you saw

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:03 pm

J35J wrote:
jfg wrote:In regards to Hunger Games, they did an awful job with how it was setup. Maybe if I'd read the books I'd feel different, but they put a couple sentence "Here's what happened" on the beginning of the movie and then expected me to believe that all of these people just deal with it. 15-20 minutes to setup the story would have done wonders for the plot.

Yup, it's almost as if they just expected everyone to have read the book before hand. I'm very much glad I did read the book first otherwise I don't think I would have liked the movie much at all...

Book = 9/10
Movie = 6/10

I don't know if that's completely necessary. The road didn't, book or movie. We were just there.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 405)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I never read the hunger games and I thought the movie was pretty good. I had heard a general synopsis of it but didn't know much else.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 829)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:11 pm

J35J wrote:

Book = 9/10
Movie = 6/10

I was really expecting it to be excellent and was sadly disappointed. Not reading the book probably put me at a huge disadvantage, but movie adaptations aren't supposed to be that way.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:40 am

Ice Age 3D 5/10

took the kids

I don't get it...first of all, animals can't talk
the sloth family is able to make a sled, that takes them right to where the other sloth lives? They just happen to hit the mountain lion on their way down? they then take off in the sled again and it goes downhill. How do they get home?

I really don't think that the earth shifts so much that you can see it move, never mind it moving as fast as it does forcing everyone to run.

What is the pirates motivation for wandering the seas? That's never explained.

So many more plot holes and problems, I couldn't enjoy it.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:49 pm

bigken117 wrote:
What is the pirates motivation for wandering the seas? That's never explained.

Booty!!! Arrrrrr
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby jfg » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:39 pm

Avengers- 6/10

It was good, but far from the best superhero movie ever. The ending was really good, if it wasn't, I think I would have hated the movie because it took far too long to setup. The whole movie felt like a setup for the sequel, which I think should be better since they don't have to waste time with the origin story. Don't get me wrong, I like superhero origin stories, X-Men First Class and Batman Begins were both great, but this one was a little drawn out and not all that interesting.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk