Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:51 am

If TDK is a 10/10, TDKR is a 9/10. They're not on the same playing field, but I still thoroughly enjoyed TDKR and thought it was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy. There's probably a 30 minute stretch during the later stages in TDKR prior to the very end that stands up to TDK, and I really loved. Otherwise it had a different feel than TDK, which I can imagine some people not really liking, but I enjoyed. I'm actually going to create a TDKR thread so we can discuss it and not ruin this thread with spoilers...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:42 pm

El Bulli: Cooking in Progress - 3/10.
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 8/10.

El Bulli is about a restaurant. Jiro Dreams of Sushi is about a father who is trying to pass his legacy on to his two sons.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am

The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10

Meh, it was ok. Not great, but solid.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 pm

The dark knight rises. 6/10
Meh
Beautifully shot and some good action.
Cons - the baddies motivation and powers were murky at best. Why exactly was this mercenary army ready to throw their lives away to destroy the city? Anne Hathaway was nice to look at but her character was unbelievable. Suspension of disbelief is one thing but they asked too much. The filmmaker has to make a little effort to make the motivation seem plausible.

How did the cop from Grimm get in there playing the exact same role?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:06 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Suspension of disbelief is one thing but they asked too much. The filmmaker has to make a little effort to make the motivation seem plausible.

Yup. I don't understand how so many people are in love with that movie. It absolutely paled in comparison to the first two.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jfg » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:13 pm

I held off on watching The Descendants for awhile because it looked kind of boring but it was great. One of the best movies of the past 5 years or so.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby TheRock » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm

The Dark Knight Rises: 9.5/10 I held out seeing this movie for a while to let the crowds die down, and mostly so I could use a discount pass. It was a spectacular wrap-up to the series, everything we've come to expect from the new Batman franchise. I didn't give it a 10 because I'm not sure it was quite as good as the one before. Now to go read some of GF's lunatic ravings as to why he thought it was terrible....
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:11 pm

TheRock wrote:The Dark Knight Rises: 9.5/10 I held out seeing this movie for a while to let the crowds die down, and mostly so I could use a discount pass. It was a spectacular wrap-up to the series, everything we've come to expect from the new Batman franchise. I didn't give it a 10 because I'm not sure it was quite as good as the one before. Now to go read some of GF's lunatic ravings as to why he thought it was terrible....

My ravings are way more sane than people who think it was anywhere near as good as the first two movies. I guess some people are able to suspend all belief and enjoy movies like that, but there comes a point when it's just silly. TDKR hit that point about 30 minutes in.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby jfg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:41 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but there are some movies where you don't even need to suspend disbelief even though they are ludicrous when you think about it. Children of Men and V For Vendetta come to mind. Then you have other movies that do such a poor job of setting up the story that you are scoffing at the premise the whole time and can't flip the switch to just enjoy the movie. Hunger Games comes to mind. For how good the first two were, I'm hoping that I don't agree with you on Dark Knight Rises.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:If TDK is a 10/10, TDKR is a 9/10. They're not on the same playing field, but I still thoroughly enjoyed TDKR and thought it was an excellent conclusion to the trilogy. There's probably a 30 minute stretch during the later stages in TDKR prior to the very end that stands up to TDK, and I really loved. Otherwise it had a different feel than TDK, which I can imagine some people not really liking, but I enjoyed. I'm actually going to create a TDKR thread so we can discuss it and not ruin this thread with spoilers...

With you on this - 9/10. Saw it last night and found it to be a fitting conclusion. Looks like some attempt to hold this movie to a higher standard, especially GF, but we should all be used to him taking the minority's stance by now.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk