Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:13 am

StlSluggers wrote:
j24jags wrote:The Departed
Gah! Talk about violent. I think 95% of the kills in that movie were head shots. The plot was intriguing. My heart was racing during the scene with the Chinese thugs. Overall, I thought it was a bit over-hyped. I didn't think Jack Nicholson's character was good at all. There was nothing new about it. It was just crazy Jack being crazy Jack. He didn't do anything in this movie that I hadn't already seen from him in other movies.

I know they were the stars and all, but with so many big names, it's worth saying that DiCaprio and Damon stole this movie. They were awesome. I thought that Wahlberg's character, while over the top, was commanding when he was on-screen.

while a small role, how bout alec baldwin. he was HILARIOUSLY in the departed. there's so many quote worthy items he said.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:32 pm

j24jags wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
j24jags wrote:Premonition
5/10
Good movie, awful awful ending. The ending made me angry lol, it was so dull and cliche. They did not tie up all the loose ends.

What loose ends? What cliche ending? I thought everything was tied up quite well, and without saying too much, the ending was definitely not cliche. There were some temporal inconsistencies, but that was the worst of the movie, imo. I thought it was better than a five. Maybe a 6.5/10 or so... The filming was very intense with all of those close-ups and everything. My wife was very stressed out after watching it.

WARNING SPOILERS, DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW
Cliche ending, not the accident but the whole "faith" voiceover and the fact that she is pregnant. The pregnancy was needed as a way to show that her quest to save his life - and her fight for their love - wasn't in vein even though he still died. I actually thought it made sense for once.

Also why were her days mixed up? I find this question odd. I don't know how to answer it. The whole premise of the movie was that she would bounce back and forth from past, present, and future. It's not something you question. It's a plot driver. It's what answers other questions.

What was the point of the priest and his book? They needed some way for her to overcome the emotional dichotomy that her husband wanted to cheat on her but hadn't. They chose that plot line. I didn't like it, but it wasn't long, and it accomplished what they were shooting for. He ended up doing the right thing because she fought for his love.

Why did the husband triple his life insurance that morning if it actually was an accident? She warned him that he would die. He believed her.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
j24jags wrote:The Departed
Gah! Talk about violent. I think 95% of the kills in that movie were head shots. The plot was intriguing. My heart was racing during the scene with the Chinese thugs. Overall, I thought it was a bit over-hyped. I didn't think Jack Nicholson's character was good at all. There was nothing new about it. It was just crazy Jack being crazy Jack. He didn't do anything in this movie that I hadn't already seen from him in other movies.

I know they were the stars and all, but with so many big names, it's worth saying that DiCaprio and Damon stole this movie. They were awesome. I thought that Wahlberg's character, while over the top, was commanding when he was on-screen.

while a small role, how bout alec baldwin. he was HILARIOUSLY in the departed. there's so many quote worthy items he said.

Totally agree. I loved his character even though it somehow reminded me of the types of characters he normally plays on SNL.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j24jags » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:28 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
j24jags wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
j24jags wrote:Premonition
5/10
Good movie, awful awful ending. The ending made me angry lol, it was so dull and cliche. They did not tie up all the loose ends.

What loose ends? What cliche ending? I thought everything was tied up quite well, and without saying too much, the ending was definitely not cliche. There were some temporal inconsistencies, but that was the worst of the movie, imo. I thought it was better than a five. Maybe a 6.5/10 or so... The filming was very intense with all of those close-ups and everything. My wife was very stressed out after watching it.

WARNING SPOILERS, DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW
Cliche ending, not the accident but the whole "faith" voiceover and the fact that she is pregnant. The pregnancy was needed as a way to show that her quest to save his life - and her fight for their love - wasn't in vein even though he still died. I actually thought it made sense for once.

Also why were her days mixed up? I find this question odd. I don't know how to answer it. The whole premise of the movie was that she would bounce back and forth from past, present, and future. It's not something you question. It's a plot driver. It's what answers other questions.

What was the point of the priest and his book? They needed some way for her to overcome the emotional dichotomy that her husband wanted to cheat on her but hadn't. They chose that plot line. I didn't like it, but it wasn't long, and it accomplished what they were shooting for. He ended up doing the right thing because she fought for his love.

Why did the husband triple his life insurance that morning if it actually was an accident? She warned him that he would die. He believed her.

I mean I guess it's a little better than I gave it credit for, but I still won't be buying it when it comes out.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby ironman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Saw Blades of Glory last weekend. Pretty funny. Not as funny as Anchorman but definitely funnier than the overrated Talladega Nights.

I also saw Idiocracy. A real shame with what the studio did to that movie. You can tell that it got butchered up during editing and there have been several stories about Fox completely botching the marketing for it (eventually opting for none). Either way, it's pretty funny and at 84 minutes, doesn't take a lot of your time.

Blades of Glory - 7.5 out of 10
Idiocracy - 7 out of 10
Talladega Nights - 5 out of 10
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:25 pm

Haha, love this:

"Disturbia" is like "Rear Window," only if "Rear Window" had been written and directed by morons and James Stewart had been replaced by a kid from the Disney Channel
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:25 pm

Just saw Rocky Balboa yesterday. Like most people, I laughed during the previews for the movie. In my mind, there was simply no way this movie was going to be good, especially considering how old Stallone is. Ok, here's the shocker...

It was the best Rocky film I've seen since the first one! Sure, the third and fourth installments have some off the wall characters like Clubber and Drago, but Rocky Balboa had the best story and the most heart of any film in the series besides the opener. You really feel badly for the Rocky character given what he's had to go through since we last left him. His wife has died, his son isn't close with him and he's considered a "has been" by industry standards. His personal journey in this episode is powerful and one most of us can relate to. I won't give much away, but it's truly one of the best sequels I've seen and the perfect way to end the Rocky saga.

Honestly, 10/10 - I can't imagine this film being any better considering what it was trying to accomplish
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Stejay » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Wild Hogs. Great movie, but a bit boting at times. Good storyline, and good acting especially by Liotta.
8/10
Stejay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just saw Rocky Balboa yesterday. Like most people, I laughed during the previews for the movie. In my mind, there was simply no way this movie was going to be good, especially considering how old Stallone is. Ok, here's the shocker...

It was the best Rocky film I've seen since the first one! Sure, the third and fourth installments have some off the wall characters like Clubber and Drago, but Rocky Balboa had the best story and the most heart of any film in the series besides the opener. You really feel badly for the Rocky character given what he's had to go through since we last left him. His wife has died, his son isn't close with him and he's considered a "has been" by industry standards. His personal journey in this episode is powerful and one most of us can relate to. I won't give much away, but it's truly one of the best sequels I've seen and the perfect way to end the Rocky saga.

Honestly, 10/10 - I can't imagine this film being any better considering what it was trying to accomplish

I've been wondering about whether or not to see this movie. I'm going to have to check it out now! Thanks for the heads up.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby luckygehrig » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Just saw The Wedding Singer and Blues Brothers for the first time this week. Both were on TV, censored, and had commercials so my opinions might be biased because of this.

I really liked Blues Brothers. It had it all. There was comedy, music legends, and a pretty decent storyline. Not to mention Belushi. 9/10

The Wedding Singer started out awesome for the first half hour or so and then turned into a romantic comedy. I loved the first part and kept hoping for a return to it, even though I knew it wasn't going to happen. Still pretty funny though. 7/10
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk