100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby j24jags » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:26 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Hunger Games book 9/10
Hunger Games movie 8/10
very good adaptation. Had to soften it somewhat to avoid the R rating but still true to the book and they did a great job creating the world. My wife and her friend cried 3 or 4 times.

;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Hunger Games movie 8/10
very good adaptation. Had to soften it somewhat to avoid the R rating but still true to the book and they did a great job creating the world. My wife and her friend cried 3 or 4 times.

Have not read the book, but I would also give the movie an 8. Very compelling storyline, well developed I thought. I'm now actually really interested in reading the books.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Acts Of Valor 3/10

I hadn't read anything about the movie so I was just expecting something along the lines of a new age war movie in the vein of Black Hawk Down. I won't condemn the movie for the bad acting now that I know they used real-life SEALs to play the roles, besides it is not really a character driven movie anyways. What I do condemn the movie for is having battle scenes and cut sequences that make the entire film seem like nothing more than a trailer for the next Call of Duty video game mixed with a Navy recruiting commercial. The plot is idiotic, the special effects subpar, and the combat tactics reminded me of how I used to plan out battles with green army men when I was 7.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Tavish wrote:Acts Of Valor 3/10

I hadn't read anything about the movie so I was just expecting something along the lines of a new age war movie in the vein of Black Hawk Down. I won't condemn the movie for the bad acting now that I know they used real-life SEALs to play the roles, besides it is not really a character driven movie anyways. What I do condemn the movie for is having battle scenes and cut sequences that make the entire film seem like nothing more than a trailer for the next Call of Duty video game mixed with a Navy recruiting commercial. The plot is idiotic, the special effects subpar, and the combat tactics reminded me of how I used to plan out battles with green army men when I was 7.

not really defending the movie... But, kind of. I heard that special effects seem bad because they are not special effects, but instead, live rounds.

I didn't see it,
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:06 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Tavish wrote:Acts Of Valor 3/10

not really defending the movie... But, kind of. I heard that special effects seem bad because they are not special effects, but instead, live rounds.

I didn't see it,

I guarantee the majority of the scenes were not using live rounds. I'm assuming that the boat rescue scene was live fire because that definitely had a different look than what you normally see, but pretty much all the other gun battles were fairly generic to what you would see in any other movie. But the bullet effects, whether live or CGI, aren't really the problem with the special effects though. Explosions were way over the top in some cases (grenades that level buildings) or completely underwhelming (the suicide vests that they track the entire movie are avoided by running around the corner). Headshots to terrorists look strikingly similar to what happens in CoD. And on and on.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:07 pm

j24jags wrote:
Hunger Games movie 8/10

;-D

Just finished the book...agreed it's a solid book...9/10 is probably right. I wanted to wait to read the book before seeing the movie as I don't usually go back and read a book if I saw the movie but I will sit down for the movie if I already read the book....if that makes any sense at all.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 pm

J35J wrote:
j24jags wrote:
Hunger Games movie 8/10

;-D

Just finished the book...agreed it's a solid book...9/10 is probably right. I wanted to wait to read the book before seeing the movie as I don't usually go back and read a book if I saw the movie but I will sit down for the movie if I already read the book....if that makes any sense at all.

plenty of sense. Much easier to sit through a 2 hr movie that you already know the ending to then to sit through a 10 hr book that you already know the ending to.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

J35J wrote:
j24jags wrote:
Hunger Games movie 8/10

;-D

Perfect sense. I did the same thing. ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:25 pm

Moneyball - 9/10 - Loved it. Very well done. No complaints.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:57 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Moneyball - 9/10 - Loved it. Very well done. No complaints.

still waiting to see it and have heard such good things. i figured the movie would just all glitz and glam compared to the book but it doesnt seem to be the case. definitely next up in my movie queue.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk