Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:56 pm

21 jump street 8.5/10
Soo much better than expected. Many laugh out loud moments.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:21 jump street 8.5/10
Soo much better than expected. Many laugh out loud moments.

;-D
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 322)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Rate the last movie you saw

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:45 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:21 jump street 8.5/10
Soo much better than expected. Many laugh out loud moments.

;-D

+1
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:51 pm

The Hunger Games - 6.5/10

I didn't read the book and neither did my girlfriend, which is maybe why we weren't blown away by this movie? I know the bookies are doing the typical "oh the movie is so much better!" the the movie is still a monstrous success and I believe is getting excellent ratings. It was alright, pretty entertaining, but very slow moving for me. Otherwise it's a bunch of kids killing kids and everybody dressed up like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. The acting isn't great. There's nothing really throughout the duration of the film where I was like wow, that's cool, be it plot line, scenery, visuals, anything. It just didn't do it for me.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 322)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:49 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The Hunger Games - 6.5/10

I didn't read the book and neither did my girlfriend, which is maybe why we weren't blown away by this movie? I know the bookies are doing the typical "oh the movie is so much better!" the the movie is still a monstrous success and I believe is getting excellent ratings. It was alright, pretty entertaining, but very slow moving for me. Otherwise it's a bunch of kids killing kids and everybody dressed up like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. The acting isn't great. There's nothing really throughout the duration of the film where I was like wow, that's cool, be it plot line, scenery, visuals, anything. It just didn't do it for me.


Saw this last weekend. I haven't read the books and I thought it was an overglorified re-fabricated Battle Royale (book and film), or at least the premise. My girlfriend liked it, but that's because she's read the trilogy.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby silentjim » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:54 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The Hunger Games - 6.5/10

I didn't read the book and neither did my girlfriend, which is maybe why we weren't blown away by this movie? I know the bookies are doing the typical "oh the movie is so much better!" the the movie is still a monstrous success and I believe is getting excellent ratings. It was alright, pretty entertaining, but very slow moving for me. Otherwise it's a bunch of kids killing kids and everybody dressed up like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. The acting isn't great. There's nothing really throughout the duration of the film where I was like wow, that's cool, be it plot line, scenery, visuals, anything. It just didn't do it for me.


Saw this last weekend. I haven't read the books and I thought it was an overglorified re-fabricated Battle Royale (book and film), or at least the premise. My girlfriend liked it, but that's because she's read the trilogy.


Kind of feel the same way. I enjoyed this movie, but it reminded me of Running Man the movie and a bunch of other Dystopia style society books. I'm in the middle of reading the books since everyone liked them and I will say the character development in just the first few chapters of book one is better than the whole movie. Without having Daniel Stern style inner monologues a la the Wonder Years, books that have a little dialogue with a lot of internal thought processes by the narrator are generally hard to translate into film.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
Posts: 1290
(Past Year: 76)
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 pm

silentjim wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The Hunger Games - 6.5/10

I didn't read the book and neither did my girlfriend, which is maybe why we weren't blown away by this movie? I know the bookies are doing the typical "oh the movie is so much better!" the the movie is still a monstrous success and I believe is getting excellent ratings. It was alright, pretty entertaining, but very slow moving for me. Otherwise it's a bunch of kids killing kids and everybody dressed up like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. The acting isn't great. There's nothing really throughout the duration of the film where I was like wow, that's cool, be it plot line, scenery, visuals, anything. It just didn't do it for me.


Saw this last weekend. I haven't read the books and I thought it was an overglorified re-fabricated Battle Royale (book and film), or at least the premise. My girlfriend liked it, but that's because she's read the trilogy.


Kind of feel the same way. I enjoyed this movie, but it reminded me of Running Man the movie and a bunch of other Dystopia style society books. I'm in the middle of reading the books since everyone liked them and I will say the character development in just the first few chapters of book one is better than the whole movie. Without having Daniel Stern style inner monologues a la the Wonder Years, books that have a little dialogue with a lot of internal thought processes by the narrator are generally hard to translate into film.


The Running Man is awesome.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:18 pm

silentjim wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:The Hunger Games - 6.5/10

I didn't read the book and neither did my girlfriend, which is maybe why we weren't blown away by this movie? I know the bookies are doing the typical "oh the movie is so much better!" the the movie is still a monstrous success and I believe is getting excellent ratings. It was alright, pretty entertaining, but very slow moving for me. Otherwise it's a bunch of kids killing kids and everybody dressed up like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. The acting isn't great. There's nothing really throughout the duration of the film where I was like wow, that's cool, be it plot line, scenery, visuals, anything. It just didn't do it for me.


Saw this last weekend. I haven't read the books and I thought it was an overglorified re-fabricated Battle Royale (book and film), or at least the premise. My girlfriend liked it, but that's because she's read the trilogy.


Kind of feel the same way. I enjoyed this movie, but it reminded me of Running Man the movie and a bunch of other Dystopia style society books. I'm in the middle of reading the books since everyone liked them and I will say the character development in just the first few chapters of book one is better than the whole movie. Without having Daniel Stern style inner monologues a la the Wonder Years, books that have a little dialogue with a lot of internal thought processes by the narrator are generally hard to translate into film.


That's true. Even Battle Royale the movie only touched the surface of character development than the book did. Like you said, it's difficult to squeeze in backstories and character POV's on film, especially one that's tailored to reach a wider audience.

I'll probably give the Hunger Games books a whirl too. From what I understand, Battle Royale the book and Hunger Games the book are similar in premise, but the stories, backdrops, and themes are quite different.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:20 pm

but the chick is hot.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:23 pm

Hunger Games book 9/10
Hunger Games movie 8/10
very good adaptation. Had to soften it somewhat to avoid the R rating but still true to the book and they did a great job creating the world. My wife and her friend cried 3 or 4 times.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 268)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact