Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Urban Cohorts » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:53 am

j24jags wrote:The Grey 7/10
Had a lot less action than I expected and some deeper meaning/discussions than what I was expecting. Good movie, nothing special.

Remind me to keep some glass nips and duct tape in my survival pack...
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:29 pm

I've been slowly catching up on more recent movies...

The Hurt Locker - 8/10 - A refreshing take on a war film. There's decidedly less emphasis on large-scale battles and the melodramatic psychological effects of war, but rather this was a character-driven slice of life film. What impressed me most was the film wasn't just suspenseful throughout without having convey that suspense so explicitly, but it also provoked the feeling of actually being immersed in the moment.

The Social Network - 7.5/10 - Played out as expected. Somewhat over-the-top depiction of the Facebook story seen through a Hollywood lens and it seemed the role of Sean Parker was custom-fit for Justin Timberlake. This isn't the Facebook movie, but rather a well-acted, well-crafted film made with the intention of extracting a story resonating certain themes rather than a film pretending to be a relatively faithful biopic.

The King's Speech - 8/10 - The antithesis of The Social Network. This film depicts the ebb and flow of the friendship between the to-be King George VI and his unorthodox speech therapist, circa mid-late 1930's. The premise of the story isn't all that interesting but it's the character portrayals and on-screen chemistry which make the film shine. Colin Firth does an exceptional job, not just portraying a royal insecure about his stammering but a man who must overcome self-doubt and traumatic memories. Geoffrey Rush does excellently as the irreverent eccentric who sincerely wants to help "Bertie" become the man he thought he could never be. It's a feel-good, lighthearted film with a witty script and a beautifully shot film for what was destined to be no more than a play.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:00 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:The King's Speech - 8/10 - The antithesis of The Social Network. This film depicts the ebb and flow of the friendship between the to-be King George VI and his unorthodox speech therapist, circa mid-late 1930's. The premise of the story isn't all that interesting but it's the character portrayals and on-screen chemistry which make the film shine. Colin Firth does an exceptional job, not just portraying a royal insecure about his stammering but a man who must overcome self-doubt and traumatic memories. Geoffrey Rush does excellently as the irreverent eccentric who sincerely wants to help "Bertie" become the man he thought he could never be. It's a feel-good, lighthearted film with a witty script and a beautifully shot film for what was destined to be no more than a play.

Yeah, well made movie but the better story is the Wallis Simpson one. They only touch on it tangentially and it is so much more worthy of a film than George VI. She's even more worthy than Edward VIII. I wonder when her story is going to get told by Hollywood.

George VI is boring and his speech impediment is boring. This is just an excuse to see Colin Firth and Rush act. Blah 6/10
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby stevethumb » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:The King's Speech - 8/10 - The antithesis of The Social Network. This film depicts the ebb and flow of the friendship between the to-be King George VI and his unorthodox speech therapist, circa mid-late 1930's. The premise of the story isn't all that interesting but it's the character portrayals and on-screen chemistry which make the film shine. Colin Firth does an exceptional job, not just portraying a royal insecure about his stammering but a man who must overcome self-doubt and traumatic memories. Geoffrey Rush does excellently as the irreverent eccentric who sincerely wants to help "Bertie" become the man he thought he could never be. It's a feel-good, lighthearted film with a witty script and a beautifully shot film for what was destined to be no more than a play.

Yeah, well made movie but the better story is the Wallis Simpson one. They only touch on it tangentially and it is so much more worthy of a film than George VI. She's even more worthy than Edward VIII. I wonder when her story is going to get told by Hollywood.

George VI is boring and his speech impediment is boring. This is just an excuse to see Colin Firth and Rush act. Blah 6/10

your wish has been granted.. "W/E" is the title of the Wallis/Edward film coming soon to a theater near you
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby jbird669 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:12 pm

The Thomas Crown Affair (original) - 6.5/10 Not a lot of things going on, not what I was expecting. Full disclosure, I saw the remake first. Still, as a McQueen fan, it was nice to watch, but rather bland.

The Grey - 8.510 - well acted by Neeson and Frank Grillo, a different (which goes for original now in Hollywood sadly) story and philosophical themes that weren't over the top or preachy. And that poem has stuck with me since I left the theater.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 pm

I enjoyed The Grey, wasn't anything spectacular but it was suspenseful and entertaining and I liked how they chose to end it.

The Hurt Locker, on the other hand, was just awful.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:The Hurt Locker, on the other hand, was just awful.

8-o :-S
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:01 am

Just watched The Happening. At least it was better than Gerry.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:30 am

Priest - 5.5/10. I was entertained enough to finish it. :-°
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:41 am

The secret world of arrietty 6/10

This thing got 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and everybody else in the theatre loved it. I was bored senseless. Forget the fact that there was not a single explosion, gun, swear word or nipple there was barely anything going on. I can buy a long silent knowing look in a live action movie but the same thing in an animated movie is called a picture. Not a moving picture but just a picture. There were way too many silent knowing looks. I was not swept away into a fairy land of whimsy, I barely stayed awake. Slow quiet movie.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk