Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby StlSluggers » Tue May 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Case 39

Bonus points for going a route that was unexpected and for some genuine creepiness at times
Major demerits for wasting a crap-ton of potential and having a generally poopy script

5.5/10
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The Hangover Part II - 5/10

It had its laughs, but there was just a ton left to be desired. When you talk about recycling a plot, this pretty much took the cake. I understand not deviating from what works, but c'mon...

QFT
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 pm

Pirates 4-5/10, meh. Too much special effects/not much plot/not much character development at all
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby joejlitz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:25 am

RugbyD wrote:Black Swan - 7/10
Darren Aronofsky's latest film is about a severely emotionally repressed ballerina who progressively 'loses it' as she preps for the lead role in Swan Lake. I'm a big fan of his films (haven't seen The Fountain yet tho) and this one does not disappoint. The ending was a bit unclear and depending on what you think happens; it stretches beyond believable unless you view the ending as metaphorical and not literal. I would also have liked to have seen more screen time and development of the play director and Nina's mother, but it was all-around a pretty good flick.

More lesbo scenes between Portman and Kunis = better movie.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:39 pm

j24jags wrote:Pirates 4-5/10, meh. Too much special effects/not much plot/not much character development at all

You mean Pirates of the Caribbean right? Because I don't think anyone watched Pirates for plot or character development.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:12 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
j24jags wrote:Pirates 4-5/10, meh. Too much special effects/not much plot/not much character development at all

You mean Pirates of the Caribbean right? Because I don't think anyone watched Pirates for plot or character development.

That's what I meant, but maybe I should have clarified :-b
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Machete - cheesy action movie is cheesy. bonus points for portraying an interesting way to conceal a cell phone. also was surprised to find myself thinking Michelle Rodriguez is way hotter than Jessica Alba
8/10

Was that really LILO's boobs or a body-double?
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:32 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
TheRock wrote:The Crazies 9/10: This was a great flick, how had I not heard about it til I saw it on Netflix? A remake of some 60's movie I never heard of either. More suspense/thriller than horror I thought, bit still had some pretty horrifying scenes. Will keep you on the edge of your seat for sure

Srsly? I'd heard such meh things about it. And it has Timothy Olyphant. The guy's named after a LotR creature, fcs.

Dare I put it back on a list?

Late to the party, but to defend Timothy Olyphant - he was awesome and worth rooting for in Deadwood; and pretty darn good in Justified - a better writer for Justified would likely propel his notoriety.

Oh! And don't forget "The Girl Next Door" where he played a pimp!
Last edited by joejlitz on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 pm

kab21 wrote: 127 hours - (9/10) - It's not nearly as good as Into the Wild but it portrays a very similar character and a tragedy. I might rate this higher than others because in a lot of ways that character is myself so it hits closer to home.

9/10, but not nearly as good? So Into the Wild must be a 14/10? :-? ;-)

kab21 wrote: Suckerpunch (8/10) - I disagree with the previous review of this movie. I thought the camera work/angles were excellent as well as the sets/costumes. It is a little hard to follow but individually the scenes are very well done and if you were able to pay attention then the whole movie makes sense when she discovers the fifth part of the plan.

So given the differing opinions, I decided to watch the 2:31 trailer and I think I understand why some love it and some don't. The first 1:15 with the Led Zeppelin song playing is awesome; she's crazy in a mental institution, etc. The remaining 1:16 is, well, not awesome. She's on a mystical quest in her mind and - uh...I don't even know what else because I got so bored I stopped paying attention. So I guess there are those who would love the first half and those who would love the 2nd half.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Fantastic Mr. Fox 9.5/10
The best of Wess Anderson and George Clooney. Hiliarious and the kids will enjoy it even if they don't understand it.

George Clooney's best movie was an animation voice over? 8-o

Seriously, I think his "best work" might be Three Kings - at least as far as entertainment goes.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk