Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Just came to post about The Adjustment Bureau.....absolutely the most misleading trailer ever. I didn't really care for the movie at all. 5/10.

I haven't seen the actual movie, but what I got from the trailer was that it is a poor attempt at taking Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and moving it into a sci-fi setting.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Tavish wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Just came to post about The Adjustment Bureau.....absolutely the most misleading trailer ever. I didn't really care for the movie at all. 5/10.

I haven't seen the actual movie, but what I got from the trailer was that it is a poor attempt at taking Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and moving it into a sci-fi setting.

I thought it was going to be a classic fate v. free will movie with this couple trying desperately to be together while being stopped at every turn by the 'bureau' who enforces fate on the masses.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:15 pm

The Last Airbender - 1/10

May very well be the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I actually enjoy watching movies that get terrible reviews on Netflix - generally because most of the people that give those movies 1/5 are prisoners of the moment. I thought that with a director that I admittedly enjoy, a huge movie budget, and a premise that I think is relatively interesting, that it would be at least worth a watch. It actually was - but only for the fact that it now tops my list of worst movies I've ever seen. The acting was atrocious, the dialogue was even worse, the martial arts sequences - I don't know what the hell they were but it wasn't fighting but more like dancing, and the special effects, which I thought would be this movie's saving grace, were so poorly executed that I actually felt bad for every person whose reputation or finances were tied to this piece of crap.

I actually recommend people watching it, just for the spectacle.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Tavish wrote:

I thought it was going to be a classic fate v. free will movie with this couple trying desperately to be together while being stopped at every turn by the 'bureau' who enforces fate on the masses.

For sure, what I meant was I saw it more as a love story wrapped in a bizarre concept instead of being an action flick wrapped in a bizarre concept in the vein of The Matrix or Inception.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:54 pm

Tavish wrote:

heh... just read this in the io9 review of the movie:

All of which is to say, taking a quintessentially alarming Philip K. Dick story and adding rom-com tropes to it is a weirdly compelling notion, which could conceivably end up in a brilliant fusion — something like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Or it could turn into a bland muddle, in which neither Dick's raw ideas nor the charm of a romantic comedy is allowed to flourish.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby thedude » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 am

Adjustment bureau

6.25/10

Meh. My girlfriend of course loved it. I found the concept to be intriguing and interesting. If it is her turn to pick the film, this is not a bad choice.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Hall Pass - 6/10

I originally thought this would suck, and then I saw the R Rated trailer and got excited for it. It had some pretty good laughs and wasn't a bad way to pass the time, but don't waste $20 to see it in the theater. Once it's out for on-demand it's worth the $3 - 4 to stay in.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:50 pm

127 Hours

Good for how they went about making it. Felt like it dragged at times, and you had to fill in some blanks yourself. I'm fine with that, but it's not always something people enjoy.

8/10
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dAnzac » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 am

Rare Exports (2010) - 6/10

What a weird movie. I liked the premise. Doesn't quite live up to expectations, but wasn't awful.
My wife hated it, and she's the equivalent of GiantsFan at rating movies. :-b

Bad ass Scandinavian names like Pietari and Piiparinen :-L
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:21 pm

Inception 7/10

nothing special ...

why doesn't the van rolling over 300 times count as a kick that wakes them up? :-S

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk