Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby J35J » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:The Fighter - 8/10

MovieBob pretty much nailed my thoughts on this one, as usual.

Black Swan - 9/10

MovieBob pretty much nailed my thoughts on this one, as usual.

Ok, so MovieBob is awesome. I'm not a movie buff so I don't usually go check these types of things out but I love that guy...I had no interest at all in going to see Black Swan but he just made it to where I need to go see it now...and yes, the hot chicks do matter!! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:23 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Don't think this counts as a 2010 film, but I've got A Prophet (Un Prophete) in my Netflix queue for some time now and have heard nothing but rave reviews about it. I suppose I owe it to myself to see it.

Think A Prophet, True Grit (2010), and The Fighter will be the next three movies I'll see and review as soon as this weekend.

A Prophet (Un Prophete) - 9/10

Finally got to see this and it delivered. It's a French prison drama about a young, illiterate, and naive half-Arab man sentenced to prison and eventually works up the ranks of the prison mafia. It's sort of a cliche Godfather/Scarface wannabe story, albeit not quite as unpredictable and in general, it's well done. Well-nuanced film although some will find it too gritty and disturbing. Still, brilliant film.

True Grit and The Fighter will have to wait another weekend, as I'm feeling a bit under the weather. !+)

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Black Swan 7/10

Pros - Portman is amazing, chick scene was great, imagery was top notch (transformation on stage especially), creep factor was occasionally over the top and the story was ok.

Cons - slow build up. The mood was set pretty early (and it is a well build pervasive mood) but then kept up with the "mood-building scenes" that were not really necessary to advance the story. The first part of the movie moved so slow that it was actually a little plodding.

Good movie that I would recommend to some and not to others.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 pm

No Strings Attached - 5/10

Serviceable date movie if you need to give in on a movie choice. Some funny stuff, some pointless stuff. No need to see it again.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:10 pm

RugbyD wrote:No Strings Attached - 5/10

Serviceable date movie if you need to give in on a movie choice. Some funny stuff, some pointless stuff. No need to see it again.

I'm sooooo glad my gf hates movies like this. She'd rather go see The Mechanic or The Rite or anything other than a romantic comedy, thank baby Jesus.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 pm

2010 Documentary edition

Pat Tillman Story 10/10. Excellent, heatbreaking, and infuriating how we all got sucked into the war propaganda. I'm ashamed of myself.

Waiting For Superman 9/10. America has the world's best higher education system and a substandard gradeschool education. Why is that: The teacher's unions.

Last Train Home 9/10. Really sad how millions of people in China only exist to work 15 hour days making jeans for fat Americans - and do so while living 1,000 miles away from their family for 51 weeks out of the year. I had absolutely no idea. Also kind of cool that no matter how different their circumstances, teenage girls are all the same.

The three above are Must-Sees of the year.

Inside Job 8/10. Really good. However, they blamed conspiracies and underhanded greed to things that were really the fault of incompetence and and the Milgram effect

Exit Through the Gift Shop 8/10 - the history of graffiti artists and the time with Banksy were awesome, but the ending and the whole Mister BrainWash bit was annoying and seemed disingenuous.

Restrepo 6/10. Kind of overrated. But it documented some pretty heavy fighting in Afghanistan, so it was compelling in that manner, especially since one of the main people was killed during the filming and so the emotional fallout from that was gritty.

The Lottery 6/10 - a similar subject to Waiting For Superman, but not done as well.

Client #9 - 6/10. This was nothing more than a puff piece about Spitzer. The guy was a massive hypocrite as are the rest of these anti-prostitution/drug warriors who think that THEY can handle it, but others shouldn't. instead of getting into detail about his various malfeasance throughout his career, they made it about the massive right wing conspiracy against him. Poor Eliott.

A Film Unfinished - 6/10. It seemed like it was going to be a lot more interesting than it really was.

Collapse - 5/10. He annoyed me. He smoked too much. What he claims as "facts" aren't really so much.

Joan Rivers - 4/10. I hate Joan Rivers. This made her go from annoying as hell, to pathetic.
Last edited by Curtis Pride on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:28 pm

I've been wanting to see Restrepo for some time.

Anyhow, I got a chance to see The Fighter last Saturday. Don't really want to sum up a review right now, but I feel an 8/10 is fair.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 am

Date Night

I laughed a lot more than I thought I would.

That is all/What did you expect from a drunk?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby jfg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:26 pm

I loved Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre. So, I saw a couple days ago that Jared Hess made another movie in 2009 called Gentlemen Broncos and wondered how I missed it so I added it to the top of the Netflix queue. It has Sam Rockwell and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords... it has to be good! Man, what an awful movie. It has none of the humor that I loved about the other two and the stupidest storyline ever. Avoid at all costs.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:43 pm

If you liked Nacho Libre, and you hate this, then this must be a must see.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk