Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:You should probably watch it then.

I don't give many negative reviews (I can usually find something I like about most movies) but I really think this is a very good one. To me it's a "must watch". The first 10-15 min will make you wonder what you've gotten yourself into but you'll be rewarded if you stick with it. Chances you'll be disappointed are slim IMO.

I watched it last night. It was pretty good but I don't see how there is a debate that it's a hoax. It's defintiely a hoax. First, it's Banksy. Second, when Thierry decided to do his own street art, they never showed him actually creating the art and when they showed him plastering a stencil he struggled with it. The best part though is that you can watch the movie and think it's just a mockumentary but the fact is that he's fooled the art world.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:30 pm

I love me some Banksy. LOVE his art. But this movie sucks. Don't get me wrong, but eff this movie . Thoroughly annoyed with the whole Mr.Brainwash nonesense. We get it, you're satirizing street art and art buying hipsters. How about you take those other thousands of hours and show me something because I didn't want to watch your "Documentary" for some fat turd to teach moral lessons.

The first half is some great stuff, very fun and interesting. The 2nd half isn't as bad as I am making it out to be, but it was lame. Also, I am drunk. Just a little, but drunk nonetheless.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 am

That True Grit is a flippin' masterpiece. Coen brothers confirmed for best in the business. Only thing better than the written dialog was how it's delivered by a cast of superb actors, including the 14 year old girl, but in particular, Jeff Bridges. The cinematography was a 10. Dialog a 10. It was hilarious. It was massively entertaining. It was about as good as it can ever be.

True Grit 9.9999999999999/10
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:07 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:True Grit (2010):
First 1:45: 7/10
Last 0:05: 1/10

What a horrible ending to an otherwise pretty good movie. If I've seen the original, it was so long ago I don't remember, and I'll take Jeff Bridges over John Wayne any day (I'll take just about anyone over John Wayne, for that matter).

The original True Grit was one of John Wayne's best (this and The Searchers). Other than that, Wayne wasn't really a great actor and if anything, he was just a box office favorite in his day. He suits the tough guy hero mentality to a tee, but that's the only type of character he could portray.

Bad mouthing The Duke? Look at these two pretentious hipsters go against the grain. OMG so cool and edgy! You wouldn't say that to his face, because he'd slap the PBR can out of your little girl hands.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:56 am

There's no way a movie with an ending that horrible can rate anywhere close to a 10. And I don't think you understand hipsters. They would love John Wayne, but ironically. They'd find it kitschy, which is like the most important thing to hipsters. Then they'd grab a piece of bacon (hipsters fell in love with bacon recently, I've learned), hop on their fixie in their skinny jeans and go gentrify another neighborhood.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am

I was in the mall with my girl a couple months before Christmas and we saw a couple teenage boys shopping in the woman's section for skinny jeans. Just thought I'd share that. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:There's no way a movie with an ending that horrible can rate anywhere close to a 10. And I don't think you understand hipsters. They would love John Wayne, but ironically. They'd find it kitschy, which is like the most important thing to hipsters. Then they'd grab a piece of bacon (hipsters fell in love with bacon recently, I've learned), hop on their fixie in their skinny jeans and go gentrify another neighborhood.

I live in the hipster capitol and disliking a legend like John Wayne is EXACTLY something they would do. Well, maybe co-capital, I'm sure you'd find just as many hipsters in Seattle as you can in LA.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:07 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:There's no way a movie with an ending that horrible can rate anywhere close to a 10. And I don't think you understand hipsters. They would love John Wayne, but ironically. They'd find it kitschy, which is like the most important thing to hipsters. Then they'd grab a piece of bacon (hipsters fell in love with bacon recently, I've learned), hop on their fixie in their skinny jeans and go gentrify another neighborhood.

I live in the hipster capitol and disliking a legend like John Wayne is EXACTLY something they would do. Well, maybe co-capital, I'm sure you'd find just as many hipsters in Seattle as you can in LA.

You've obviously never been to Portlandia.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:53 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:True Grit (2010):
First 1:45: 7/10
Last 0:05: 1/10

What a horrible ending to an otherwise pretty good movie. If I've seen the original, it was so long ago I don't remember, and I'll take Jeff Bridges over John Wayne any day (I'll take just about anyone over John Wayne, for that matter).

The original True Grit was one of John Wayne's best (this and The Searchers). Other than that, Wayne wasn't really a great actor and if anything, he was just a box office favorite in his day. He suits the tough guy hero mentality to a tee, but that's the only type of character he could portray.

Bad mouthing The Duke? Look at these two pretentious hipsters go against the grain. OMG so cool and edgy! You wouldn't say that to his face, because he'd slap the PBR can out of your little girl hands.

I actually like John Wayne's films. Feeling like an actor/film is overrated doesn't necessarily mean that someone dislikes that actor/film. I enjoy Duke's works like someone else would with Arnold Schwarzenegger's movies, but it would take a brave man to think they stood out as great films.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

I think you meant to say...

"...but it would take a brave man to think they stood out as great actors."

Both Wayne and Ahnold have been in great films, neither are great actors though IMO.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk