Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:11 pm

Tukka wrote:I've seen the movie and read the book, and I have to say that Fight Club is one of the few instances where I actually enjoyed the movie more. It was a pretty faithful adaptation and the cinematic version, I felt, had more impact. Let's face it, although it has an interesting theme and twist, it's not exactly a cerebral experience, or at least not an intellectual one.

It was great to see the gritty violence, the gritty living conditions and the gritty sex all come alive on the big screen.

I give Fight Club an 8.5/10.

Agreed; I find Pahlaniuk's writing obtuse and awkward. I don't like the short-sentence, inner monologue thing. The film was better.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 pm

I've never read any of his other books. Thought Fight Club was OK but enjoyed the move more also.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:21 pm

I haven't read the book but I like the movie alot. Will get around reading it eventually.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:51 am

I was just jibing you there statsman, I don't actually suggest you or anyone else ever watch Marie Antoinette. ;-D

I've read a good amount of Palahniuk's older stuff and liked it a great deal. I agree he's got a unique and sometimes annoying writing style, but I like the way he reveals clues throughout his books that eventually form a big picture at the end. Interesting, gritty characters and plots too.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:48 am

i love the scene in Fight Club where Brad Pitt is in the room with Helene Bonham Carter (who somehow is better looking as an ape in Planet of the Apes remake than in real life :-? ) and he's wearing a rubber glove and says "you want to finish her off, or should i"? i just always wonder, what exactly does he have the glove on for

i also like her line "I havent been banged that hard since grade-school", although the line they supposedly had to cut "i think you just gave me my next abortion" would have been just as good

P.S. i think Cu and Sim like it so much because of the spliced in crank at the end ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:14 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:P.S. i think Cu and Sim like it so much because of the spliced in crank at the end ;-7

Not quite !+) ; my favorite part is when they steal the fat from the liposuction clinic to make soap and the narrator says, "We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

But the rubber glove thing was great too; it wasn't just a latex glove, it was one of those huge, yellow, rubber gloves your mom used to used to wash the toilet.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:15 am

statsman88 wrote:I just really didn't like that there was no explanation for his having a split personality. In the end, if he shot himself and he didn't die, wouldn't Brad Pitt's alter character not die also?

He didn't really shoot himself. Well, he did, but he didn't. It was in his head just as much as it was real. Shooting himself was a symbolic representation of him overcoming his split personality. It's like in Identity. As each of the characters die off, another split personality goes away in reality.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm not sure it is playing in the US yet, but The Host started playing in Canada last Friday. It's a Korean monster movie released last year and it became the all time box office leader in Korea. The movie is about a pissed off monster in the waters of the Han river in the middle of Seoul. The monster eats people and likes to take little girls as hostages. ;-D

If you do check out the movie and like it, there is another movie by the same director, Bong Joon Ho, called Memories of Murder that is very good. Although they are completely different genres, as a movie I think Memories of Murder is even better than The Host.

The Host - 8/10
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:21 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I just really didn't like that there was no explanation for his having a split personality. In the end, if he shot himself and he didn't die, wouldn't Brad Pitt's alter character not die also?

He didn't really shoot himself. Well, he did, but he didn't. It was in his head just as much as it was real. Shooting himself was a symbolic representation of him overcoming his split personality. It's like in Identity. As each of the characters die off, another split personality goes away in reality.

I always thought it was because he'd hit "rock bottom." He no longer feared death and therefore no longer needed Tyler.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:57 am

Grindhouse - it pretty much pwn3d, but i will rate each movie seperatley

Planet Terror by Robert Rodriguez. Awesome, awesome zombie flick. i cant think of one thing to complain about. actually an interesting plot, some great action and gore and just enough cheesy lines. all the actors did a nice job (we're not talking Oscar caliber but they played their roles effectively)...and it had Fergie ;-D

10/10

Death Proof by Quenten Tarantino. I was expecting so much more, instead we basically get two awesome actions scenes both preceeded by very lengthy discussions about nothing. normally i'm a fan of Quentin's witty dialogue, but for some reason in this one it seemed so forced, or maybe i was just pissed because i wanted to see some action. Kurt Russell is AWESOME though, and it gets better towards the end. still, i was disapointed

6.5/10 (but hoping a repeat viewing helps it out)

all the fake trailers were pretty sweet too, i wont spoil anything about them though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk