Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 am

Exit Through The Gift Shop - 9/10

Wow. This is an awesome movie. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It centers around Thierry Guetta, a strange Frenchmen who is impossible to figure out. Really, nobody seems to know what to make of the guy. Everything he does in the film looks like it will lead to inevitable disaster but it never turns out the way you think it will. Basically through his love of filming absolutely everything that happens in his life he's able to go deep inside the underground society of graffiti artists where he meets some of the biggest names in the world. Including the infamous Banksy, who actually directed this movie and compiled it from thousands of hours of Thierry's tapes.

All of it is strange, interesting, confusing, and hugely entertaining. You can stream this from Netflix.
Image
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 4264
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:32 am

Gangs of New York - 5.5/10

First time viewing for me. Part of me always wanted to check this film out because I do find the time period in which the film is set in fascinating, but never got the chance to see it.

I think the strengths of the film lie in the visual choreography and the detail in giving a fairly accurate snapshot of Civil War-era New York (albeit with its historical flaws as well). In the end, the movie is too ambitious for its own liking. There's so much detail in trying to piece so many things together about the era, to the point that the storyline and characters are uneven. Daniel Day-Lewis' performance stands out by a country mile, but there's only so much he can portray as an undeveloped character (just don't see a natural egress from act to act). DiCaprio is too passive of a protagonist in this one and I have no idea why he doesn't sustain the dodgy take of a mish-mash of an Irish-American accent on the voiceover. In fact, I'll go as far as to say he wasn't right for the role. The story itself is too formulaic, as the typical revenge story one could surmise from the first 15 minutes or so.

As much as I liked the spectacle of the whole thing, I'd say it's one of Scorsese's weakest efforts. Good on entertainment value, lacking in substance to call it great. Could have been extended by 20 minutes to iron out some flaws or 15-20 minutes shorter, concentrated on telling a more deliberate, focused story.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21943
(Past Year: 677)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby silentjim » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:59 pm

Shutter Island - 8.5/10

This was a second viewing by me and I have to say I think it's even better the second time through. When you watch it the second time (or have read the book) every actor gets 10 times better than you originally thought. Mark Ruffalo was perhaps the most under-appreciated character. The nuances of playing his role are fantastic the first and second time. DiCaprio was good as well and just a well done movie. Not a weak character in the film.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
Posts: 1290
(Past Year: 76)
Joined: 22 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jfg » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:55 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Exit Through The Gift Shop - 9/10

Wow. This is an awesome movie. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It centers around Thierry Guetta, a strange Frenchmen who is impossible to figure out. Really, nobody seems to know what to make of the guy. Everything he does in the film looks like it will lead to inevitable disaster but it never turns out the way you think it will. Basically through his love of filming absolutely everything that happens in his life he's able to go deep inside the underground society of graffiti artists where he meets some of the biggest names in the world. Including the infamous Banksy, who actually directed this movie and compiled it from thousands of hours of Thierry's tapes.

All of it is strange, interesting, confusing, and hugely entertaining. You can stream this from Netflix.


I have yet to hear a negative review of this and of all the movies out this year it's the one I've been recommended the most.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby j24jags » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:32 pm

Pride and Glory-7.5/10

I bought this for $2 at a Blockbuster that was going out of business a couple of years ago and I finally got around to watching it on my laptop on a plane this week. Edward Norton and Colin Farrell are brother in-laws, Jon Voight plays Norton's father. They all are police officers, and a crime which results in four dead cops leads to investigations and the discovery that there were dirty cops. It was a very good plot I thought. I liked how they showed not only the police department's internal conflicts, but they also touched on the PR aspect and introduced some reporters to the picture. I thought that was a nice touch. The acting was pretty good by those three actors, I didn't love the guy who played Norton's other brother. The soundtrack was horrible. Rarely do you notice the soundtrack, but I found that trains/subways were louder than voices during some conversations and some of the background songs did not match/set the mood properly. It was entertaining and worth watching though.
Image
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10340
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm

jfg wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:Exit Through The Gift Shop - 9/10

Wow. This is an awesome movie. One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. It centers around Thierry Guetta, a strange Frenchmen who is impossible to figure out. Really, nobody seems to know what to make of the guy. Everything he does in the film looks like it will lead to inevitable disaster but it never turns out the way you think it will. Basically through his love of filming absolutely everything that happens in his life he's able to go deep inside the underground society of graffiti artists where he meets some of the biggest names in the world. Including the infamous Banksy, who actually directed this movie and compiled it from thousands of hours of Thierry's tapes.

All of it is strange, interesting, confusing, and hugely entertaining. You can stream this from Netflix.


I have yet to hear a negative review of this and of all the movies out this year it's the one I've been recommended the most.

You should probably watch it then.

I don't give many negative reviews (I can usually find something I like about most movies) but I really think this is a very good one. To me it's a "must watch". The first 10-15 min will make you wonder what you've gotten yourself into but you'll be rewarded if you stick with it. Chances you'll be disappointed are slim IMO.
Image
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 4264
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:30 pm

The Road
8/10 - not nearly as depressing as the book

The Book of Eli
7/10 - much better than expected

The Christmas holidays seem to be a time for post-apocalyptic movies.



Harry Potter and the deathly hallows
7/10 - less if it has been a while since you've read the books and you're constantly asking yourself when something is going to happen.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:07 am

True Grit (2010):
First 1:45: 7/10
Last 0:05: 1/10

What a horrible ending to an otherwise pretty good movie. If I've seen the original, it was so long ago I don't remember, and I'll take Jeff Bridges over John Wayne any day (I'll take just about anyone over John Wayne, for that matter). As far as filmmakers go, I'll put the Coen brothers right up there with the best of them, and some of what they usually bring to the screen stands out in this one, but the ending is just atrocious. Also, the dialog seemed weird to me, then I realized that nobody used any contractions when they spoke, which seemed very unauthentic and became a distraction. I found myself paying more attention to whether or not someone uttered a contraction than what they actually said. Unless I missed one, there aren't any in the whole film. Still worth checking out, though I would sincerely suggest leaving **SPOILER ALERT** right after they rescue the girl from the well. It's all downhill from there.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 am

Black Swan - 5/10 - I really didn't care for it. It was shot very well, from a cinematic standpoint I guess, and pleasant in that regard. I just didn't care much for the rest of it, save one memorable scene with Mila Kunis that essentially made the movie bearable and is worth 3 or 4 of the 5 points I gave it. I usually enjoy artsy fartsy movies like this, but Black Swan fell way short of expectations for me.

The Town - 8/10 - This was very good. It wasn't spectacular the way some people painted it to be, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good plot, good pacing, good dialogue, hit all the right nerves. Definitely worth seeing.

Next up is The Fighter next Saturday, which I've heard nothing but stellar reviews about from friends and family. Can't wait.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24817
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:True Grit (2010):
First 1:45: 7/10
Last 0:05: 1/10

What a horrible ending to an otherwise pretty good movie. If I've seen the original, it was so long ago I don't remember, and I'll take Jeff Bridges over John Wayne any day (I'll take just about anyone over John Wayne, for that matter).


The original True Grit was one of John Wayne's best (this and The Searchers). Other than that, Wayne wasn't really a great actor and if anything, he was just a box office favorite in his day. He suits the tough guy hero mentality to a tee, but that's the only type of character he could portray.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21943
(Past Year: 677)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Sep. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Colorado
(3:10 pm)
San Francisco at Arizona
(3:40 pm)
Toronto at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Miami at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact