Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Splice - it was pretty good, although it's pretty sad when the monster is hotter than the female lead
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:37 pm

The Fighter - 7/10

Well acted. good, true story. Christian Bale was really good, the mom was really good. I don't know what it was exactly, but this movie was missing something. Somehow missing the quality to really draw you in that great movies and Rocky 4 have. I liked it, I didn't love it.

on the other hand...

Black Swan - 9.2/10

This movie was fantastic. Dark, depressing, gripping, and tense. Couldn't pull my eyes from the screen to watch how the whole thing unfolds. can't see a possibility that Natalie Portman doesn't win best actress for this. everyone else was also quite fantastic. The whole use of imagery from light to dark was done really well. As the previous poster that saw this movie said, we would have liked to have seen more of the mother and director's story... but, there's only so much screen time available and it doesn't feel like any of it was wasted. blah, blah, blah.. really good movie, go see it.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Black Swan - 9.2/10

...Couldn't pull my eyes from the screen...

Not even during the scene where she's picking at her cuticles in the bathroom? :-{
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:31 pm

RugbyD wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Black Swan - 9.2/10

...Couldn't pull my eyes from the screen...

Not even during the scene where she's picking at her cuticles in the bathroom? :-{

oh yeah.. except when the movie forcefully makes you take you eyes off the screen. :-o
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby j24jags » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Black Swan-8/10

It is difficult to give this movie a rating in my opinion. From an artistic perspective it is near perfect. Aronofsky uses mirrors, music, angles, lighting, and just about every other tool a director can use to set the tone for this movie. The directing makes you feel uneasy throughout. Even when they are dancing you are on the edge of your seat feeling the suspense. It's pretty rare that a movie keeps you this uneasy the whole time. I'd give the visuals/effects a 10/10, as well as Portman, Winona Ryder, the choreographer, and Portman's mother. Kunis was good (I'm a huge FSM fan), but not outstanding. It's the first time I've really seen her in a serious role. From a storyline perspective, I wish we saw a little bit more of the choreographer and Portman's mother, but the main story is Portman's character development. I also agree that she is probably the favorite to win best actress (well-deserved). Overall, the movie does not really distinguish between what is real and what is metaphorical. If you focus on the emotions and character development of Portman, this may not bother you, but some casual movie-goeers will be a little irritated that Aronofsky does not come out and say exactly what is real and what is not. Definitely worth seeing. I have not seen any other Aronofsky films although he is the reason that I saw this movie (based on recommendations by friends of Requiem for a Dream, The Wrestler, and Pi).
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 am

Anybody else excited to see True Grit?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby j24jags » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:15 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Anybody else excited to see True Grit?

I plan on watching True Grit, The Fighter, Tron, and The Town before I go back to school in January :-°
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:49 am

Toyko Zombie (English dub) - 7.5/10

If I were to choose a word to describe this movie, it would undoubtedly be "AHHHHHHHH!" Not because it's scary at all, but because it's just so completely insane. It's a comedy involving awkward jujitsu, zombies, and a crazy afro. Think Shaun of the Dead meets Kung Pow Enter the Fist meets a heavy dose of insanity, and it's Japanese, so you know it's going to be weird as hell. Do not watch it alone!

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Snatch-8.5/10

Really cool movie where a bunch of different crime rings (with different motivations) cross paths. Brad Pitt is awesome, the dog is awesome, and most of the actors do a good job. Definitely worth watching. Some cool action scenes, solid plot, fairly short (doesn't drag on).
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:12 pm

j24jags wrote:Snatch-8.5/10

Really cool movie where a bunch of different crime rings (with different motivations) cross paths. Brad Pitt is awesome, the dog is awesome, and most of the actors do a good job. Definitely worth watching. Some cool action scenes, solid plot, fairly short (doesn't drag on).

one of my all time favorites
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk