Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Tavish » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:58 am

Inception - 9/10
I think the ending, while great for discussion, takes a little away from the movie. Probably the best movie I've seen in the theater since the first Matrix.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:19 am

Megamind 7/10
Good fun. Evil mastermind turns out to have a heart of gold.

Despicable Me 8/10
Evil mastermind turns out to have a heart of gold. Steve Carrel > Will Farrel. A little more for the adults in this one and a few more cute moments for the kids.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:43 pm

The Prestige - 6.5/10

Finally got the chance to see this recently and it made for interesting viewing. That said, I do think it's some distance away from Christopher Nolan's best. Although I found the flow of the movie to be a bit disjointed in the first half hour or so, the storytelling method is pretty ingenious; the film flows exactly like an elaborate magic trick would.

I found the acting to be more one-dimensional than I was hoping for and was more disappointed in Christian Bale's performance than anything. Even more so than Scarlett Johansson's performance and a poor attempt at a working-class London accent. I would've expected a more well-nuanced, complex character than what Bale portrayed, especially in light of the final twist. I didn't think the two big reveals at the end were all too surprising. You either had to think of the most ridiculous thing to happen (otherwise plausible in fantasy land) or the most reasonable thing and you got both. What's more important is, the film does a good job of lulling the viewer to sleep before the revelations and it succeeds there. The film sets the tone that you'd have to suspend your disbelief a bit, especially from the opening scene, which made the ridiculous revelation easier to accept. Still, it feels the sci-fi bit thrown in is lazy (I've yet to read the book though).

Good film, but nowhere near a somewhat similar film of Nolan's, Memento, in delivering a near-flawless film.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby RugbyD » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 am

Black Swan - 7/10
Darren Aronofsky's latest film is about a severely emotionally repressed ballerina who progressively 'loses it' as she preps for the lead role in Swan Lake. I'm a big fan of his films (haven't seen The Fountain yet tho) and this one does not disappoint. The ending was a bit unclear and depending on what you think happens; it stretches beyond believable unless you view the ending as metaphorical and not literal. I would also have liked to have seen more screen time and development of the play director and Nina's mother, but it was all-around a pretty good flick.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:51 am

Scott Pilgrim vs The World it was just alright for me dawg
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:14 pm

127 hours - 8/10

Thought this was a good one, basically Franco alone for the entire movie but it was about 90 minutes long, just right for a movie like this, not dragging on forever like Cast Away. It'll probably get the oscar noms based on the director.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - 8.5/10 despite Michael Cera who I'm really tired of by now

Kick Ass - 8.25/10

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:32 am

Winter's Bone - 8/10

It looks great, feels authentic, and the acting is very good. One of the better films of 2010 IMO. Definitely worth seeing.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby jfg » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:53 am

Lennon Naked: 5/10

Tough one to watch. It doesn't try to mask the fact that John was quite the prick to almost everyone. But, maybe they could have shown just a little bit of kindness? For all the demons he had, I can't imagine that he spent every waking moment making other people's lives miserable.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:24 pm

Tron: 4/10 in imax 3d. 1/10 otherwise.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk