Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 am

saw The Town...i was entertained
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:25 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Confessions of a Shopaholic 0/10

FYP
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jfg » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Best movie recommendation site. Ever.

criticker.com
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:44 pm

Just heard that Paranormal Activity 3 will be released October 21, 2011. ;-D I don't care what other people say, I like these movies.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby j24jags » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Kickass-8/10-Far exceeded my expectations. It was very entertaining, but you have to go in with the right expectations. I think it's based off a graphic novel, it is not realistic at all, but it has some pretty cool action scenes. Definitely entertaining, not quite a "must-see."

Harry Potter 7 Part 1-7.5/10-I've read all the books (but forgotten a lot of the minor details). I did not love the ending as I feel it was a little abrupt. Having read the books, I appreciate the attention to detail and this movie probably paid the most attention to detail of all of them. All of the scenes were very well done (good acting and special effects), but I feel they could have crammed a little more into 2.5 hours. Obviously this is a must-see for the Harry Potter fanatics, and it is entertaining for others.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 pm

j24jags wrote:Harry Potter 7 Part 1-7.5/10-I've read all the books (but forgotten a lot of the minor details). I did not love the ending as I feel it was a little abrupt. Having read the books, I appreciate the attention to detail and this movie probably paid the most attention to detail of all of them. All of the scenes were very well done (good acting and special effects), but I feel they could have crammed a little more into 2.5 hours. Obviously this is a must-see for the Harry Potter fanatics, and it is entertaining for others.

the fact that this one paid so much attention to detail is what made it suck. in the book there was quite a bit of time spent traveling around which did not translate well to the movie. there was a good hour to an hour and a half where NOTHING HAPPENED. pretty much everything between when they got the locket and when they finally destroyed it was a complete waste of time and was super boring. i mean that dance scene? srsly?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby dAnzac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:00 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:there was a good hour to an hour and a half where NOTHING HAPPENED. pretty much everything between when they got the locket and when they finally destroyed it was a complete waste of time and was super boring. i mean that dance scene? srsly?

It's modern Hollywood, why are you surprised?. 90% of what's coming out now is unwatchable dumbed-down garbage. Also, there may not have been much happening, but I bet there was plenty of product placement. (This comment was bought to you by KFC and the Toshiba people.)
Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dAnzac » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:14 am

The Face Of Fu Manchu (1965) 5/10

Woah. Racist movie is racist.
If you can get past that, an interesting story.
Making a bad guy more threatening by actually letting them succeed isn't a bad idea.
Christopher Lee as always a no-nonsense "unstoppable" villain.
I missed the end of this, as I recorded it and it was on free tv - they were 20 minutes late (of course they were, I have no idea why free tv is being killed [sarcasm]).

Unintentional comedy:
They obviously ran out of Asian extras to be henchmen, and a couple of English extras look hilariously out of place mixed in with them.

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade (1989) 2/10

Hugely lame.
You have Sean Connery, an acknowledged ass-kicker, playing a role where every time a baddie threatens him he looks pleadingly for help and DOESN'T THROW A PUNCH THROUGH THE ENTIRE MOVIE.
Then you have Harrison Ford, definitely nearing his use-by date, basically looking like a swashbuckling accountant. Hooray?
Then there is a bunch of religious hokum, some Nazis and a woman who is good or evil with every change of the weather.

This crap gets one point for having a half-interesting idea (treasure hunts chasing medieval or Norman clues are usually interesting), and one point for finding Forever Alone Guy at the end.

Avoid.

Cafe bets 2010:
W/j24jags - Oakland A's more wins then NYM
W/mweir145 - Oakland A's more wins then TOR (hat-trick?)
dAnzac
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 am

Iron Man 2 - meh...
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part I) - 7.5/10 - As a standalone movie this doesn't hold up as well as some of the others because of it being broken in half, but in the context of the series as a whole it's another solid installment. I appreciate them being so true to the book after everything that was left out of Half-Blood Prince, even if it means there's some filler (which I didn't really mind).
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk