Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:45 am

I'm pretty pumped for this week. I have off of school and I'm planning to see Blades of Glory, the Lookout, and Grindhouse.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 877
Joined: 9 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Jersey

Postby statsman88 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:32 pm

I finally got around to seeing "Fight Club" after hearing that its a must-see movie for so long. I guess I don't get it, I really don't see what was so amazing about it. I'll give it a 5.5/10, and I know I'll probably take some heat for rating "one of the greatest movies ever" so low
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 727
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:42 pm

statsman88 wrote:I finally got around to seeing "Fight Club" after hearing that its a must-see movie for so long. I guess I don't get it, I really don't see what was so amazing about it. I'll give it a 5.5/10, and I know I'll probably take some heat for rating "one of the greatest movies ever" so low


I thought it was great. Great concept, great execution, great acting and great storyline with lots of action. And it was about fighting. What more could a heterosexual male possibly want in a movie?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby Coppermine » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Yoda wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I finally got around to seeing "Fight Club" after hearing that its a must-see movie for so long. I guess I don't get it, I really don't see what was so amazing about it. I'll give it a 5.5/10, and I know I'll probably take some heat for rating "one of the greatest movies ever" so low


I thought it was great. Great concept, great execution, great acting and great storyline with lots of action. And it was about fighting. What more could a heterosexual male possibly want in a movie?


Yeah, I'd never put it on a greatest movies ever list, but I thought it was very cool.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Coppermine » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:38 pm

I've been reading reviews for Blades of Glory; I'd never go see it in the theater because I find most comedies to be a waste of money for something I could get the same enjoyment out of from Netflix... but the reviews are pretty mixed, but generally favorable. My favorite though, so far, is the New York Post's review:

You know those one-joke "Saturday Night Live" sketches that start to age after six minutes? Blades of Glory is one joke that lasts 93 minutes, costs $11 and could involve sitting next to a guy who retells the movie into his cellphone.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I finally got around to seeing "Fight Club" after hearing that its a must-see movie for so long. I guess I don't get it, I really don't see what was so amazing about it. I'll give it a 5.5/10, and I know I'll probably take some heat for rating "one of the greatest movies ever" so low


I thought it was great. Great concept, great execution, great acting and great storyline with lots of action. And it was about fighting. What more could a heterosexual male possibly want in a movie?


Yeah, I'd never put it on a greatest movies ever list, but I thought it was very cool.


I just can't understand a guy not loving that movie... maybe you ought to try renting Marie Antoinette and see if that one rings your bells a little bit more. :-b
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby statsman88 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:43 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I finally got around to seeing "Fight Club" after hearing that its a must-see movie for so long. I guess I don't get it, I really don't see what was so amazing about it. I'll give it a 5.5/10, and I know I'll probably take some heat for rating "one of the greatest movies ever" so low


I thought it was great. Great concept, great , great acting and great storyline with lots of action. And it was about fighting. What more could a heterosexual male possibly want in a movie?


Yeah, I'd never put it on a greatest movies ever list, but I thought it was very cool.


I just can't understand a guy not loving that movie... maybe you ought to try renting Marie Antoinette and see if that one rings your bells a little bit more. :-b


Thanks for the suggestion, I have to check it out ;-D





I just really didn't like that there was no explanation for his having a split personality. In the end, if he shot himself and he didn't die, wouldn't Brad Pitt's alter character not die also? If the real Tyler Denton really was the narrator, how could Brad Pitt be having and beating people up while the narrator/main character watched if he is really is Tyler Denton? Could someone answer me these questions?

Also, I don't see how watching guys with their shirts off (especially Brad Pitt) is supposed to be the ultimate guy movie
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 727
Joined: 19 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:14 pm

statsman88 wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Yoda wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I finally got around to seeing "Fight Club" after hearing that its a must-see movie for so long. I guess I don't get it, I really don't see what was so amazing about it. I'll give it a 5.5/10, and I know I'll probably take some heat for rating "one of the greatest movies ever" so low


I thought it was great. Great concept, great , great acting and great storyline with lots of action. And it was about fighting. What more could a heterosexual male possibly want in a movie?


Yeah, I'd never put it on a greatest movies ever list, but I thought it was very cool.


I just can't understand a guy not loving that movie... maybe you ought to try renting Marie Antoinette and see if that one rings your bells a little bit more. :-b


Thanks for the suggestion, I have to check it out ;-D





I just really didn't like that there was no explanation for his having a split personality. In the end, if he shot himself and he didn't die, wouldn't Brad Pitt's alter character not die also? If the real Tyler Denton really was the narrator, how could Brad Pitt be having and beating people up while the narrator/main character watched if he is really is Tyler Denton? Could someone answer me these questions?

Also, I don't see how watching guys with their shirts off (especially Brad Pitt) is supposed to be the ultimate guy movie


There being no explanation is what makes it better than other movies.

The Narrarator shooting himself and not dying, but Tyler Durden dying was more symbolic. It's a bit of a reach to suggest they were the same person, so I don't think it's asking much to believe that after he shot himself he killed his alter ego.

Also, he only he thought was watching Tyler Durden beat people up while he watched, when in fact it was him beating people up. The point is the guy is a nutcase, so I don't think that's much of a stretch either considering the movie. The part I'd be confused with is when they fight each other, but they clearly show he was really beating himself up. If you're ok with that aspect, then I don't see how difficult it is to believe he was watching himself.

Also, if you're watching the fighting, you don't even notice guys with their shirts off... I'd be more concerned if that's all you noticed ;-7

Boxing is a guy's sport; shirtless. In wrestling most of them wear tight speedos, and no one contends the manliness of the sport. It was definitely an awesome guy's guy film.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:32 pm

I thought the explanation (multiple personality disorder) was clear enough. I don't know if it was an accurate portrayal of someone with multiple personalities, doubt it was, but I thought it worked pretty well.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Tukka » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:31 pm

I've seen the movie and read the book, and I have to say that Fight Club is one of the few instances where I actually enjoyed the movie more. It was a pretty faithful adaptation and the cinematic version, I felt, had more impact. Let's face it, although it has an interesting theme and twist, it's not exactly a cerebral experience, or at least not an intellectual one.

It was great to see the gritty violence, the gritty living conditions and the gritty sex all come alive on the big screen.

I give Fight Club an 8.5/10.
Tukka Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 174
Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact