Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby j24jags » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Metroid wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I'm not going through them one by one but listing out the movies further confirms my belief in Bale being better. Also lmfao at he wasn't the lead actor in Rescue Dawn.

Yeah you should be lyfao at my saying Bale wasn't the lead in Rescue Dawn, i was totally thinking of a different film. My bad. :-/

Anyway, why wouldn't you got through his films one by one to compare them to Leo's resume? There are only 3 where he dominated as the lead and wasn't upstaged, it really shouldn't take that long. Subtract Batman Begins, American Psycho, The Machinist, and Rescue Dawn and he's done very little to write home about. I don't know how a rational person could look at those two resumes and say with a serious face that Bales is more impressive. lmafo at that. :-S

Hell Mark Wahlberg's resume is more impressive than Bale's...

We Own the Night
The Departed
Invincible
I Heart Huckabees
Three Kings
Boogie Nights

Bale does edge Leo out in the pompous arsehole category though. :-D

Wahlberg has also had a few subpar performances though. The Happening (maybe he was just the victim of M Night Shitlayan) was awful, he was not great at all in Shooter. You can't argue that he dominated The Departed. I am not going to defend Bale over Leo, but both of those guys are heads and shoulders above Wahlberg.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:27 pm

j24jags wrote:
Metroid wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I'm not going through them one by one but listing out the movies further confirms my belief in Bale being better. Also lmfao at he wasn't the lead actor in Rescue Dawn.

Yeah you should be lyfao at my saying Bale wasn't the lead in Rescue Dawn, i was totally thinking of a different film. My bad. :-/

Anyway, why wouldn't you got through his films one by one to compare them to Leo's resume? There are only 3 where he dominated as the lead and wasn't upstaged, it really shouldn't take that long. Subtract Batman Begins, American Psycho, The Machinist, and Rescue Dawn and he's done very little to write home about. I don't know how a rational person could look at those two resumes and say with a serious face that Bales is more impressive. lmafo at that. :-S

Hell Mark Wahlberg's resume is more impressive than Bale's...

We Own the Night
The Departed
Invincible
I Heart Huckabees
Three Kings
Boogie Nights

Bale does edge Leo out in the pompous arsehole category though. :-D

Wahlberg has also had a few subpar performances though. The Happening (maybe he was just the victim of M Night Shitlayan) was awful, he was not great at all in Shooter. You can't argue that he dominated The Departed. I am not going to defend Bale over Leo, but both of those guys are heads and shoulders above Wahlberg.

I was being sarcastic mostly, forgot the ;-7 . But really, Bale's resume is more comparable to Wahlbergs. Both have had about the same number of high quality movies in which they dominated the screen as the lead. Comparing Bale's to Dicaprio's is completely laughable.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:28 pm

No comparison. Dicaprio blows him out of the water. I think this proves it.

ImageImage

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:34 pm

DiCaprio's only real misses were Body of Lies and Man in the Iron Mask, and Body of Lies is pushing it. Otherwise he's been golden and has always been the lead character in his films (outside of maybe The Departed but that was one of the best movies of the decade either way). Hell, even Romeo + Juliet was an awesome movie.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Totally agree Aqua, I actually really like Body of Lies though. Even in Gilbert Grape he was fantastic, he really showed his range, at the ripe old age of 19, in that one.

Bale is a really good actor though, I mean he was VERY convincing in Velvet Underground. In fact, I don't think he was acting one bit. :-b

Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:07 pm

The Tempest - live theatre with Christopher Plummer as Prospero 8/10

Christopher Plummer the best actor of my generation. In one of the scenes he came into the audience and was standing right beside me, I had goose bumps :-B
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:26 pm

Metroid wrote:

Anyway, why wouldn't you got through his films one by one to compare them to Leo's resume? There are only 4 where he dominated as the lead and wasn't upstaged, it really shouldn't take that long. Subtract Batman Begins, American Psycho, The Machinist, and Rescue Dawn and he's done very little to write home about. I don't know how a rational person could look at those two resumes and say with a serious face that Bales is more impressive. lmafo at that. :-S

I didn't compare them because I was posting from my phone. I'm not even addressing Wahlberg, because to use your quote I don't know how a rational person can compare them. Lmfao at that. :-S

By the way, you left out a number of movies for Bale...I'm Not There, Harsh Times, Equilibrium, and Laurel Canyon to name a few more. I think he was the one overshadowing Jackman in The Prestige but I'll give you 3:10 To Yuma. Leo's always solid and I like his movies but nothing on his list jumps out at me as "actor of his generation" except maybe The Aviator. It's pointless to even argue at this point though because I'm not going to be convinced otherwise and neither are you so to each his own.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:You're right, it's not close...he's far and away better than Leo. And I'm hardly counting The Dark Knight among his best work. I'm talking American Psycho, The Machinist, Rescue Dawn, etc.

lol ok....well considering American Psycho is probably the last movie he's starred in where he was both A. excellent and B. not overshadowed by another performance I'd say you must just be a big fan of his.....I don't even think Bale is in the conversation to be honest......not that he's not a good actor

I'm a big Bale fan but he's not half the actor Leo is.

Bale's memorable performances

Public Enemies
The Dark Knight
3:10 to Yuma
The Prestige
Batman Begins
The Machinist
American Psycho
Rescue Dawn

He was either overshadowed or shared the stage in Public Enemies by Depp, in The Dark Knight by Ledger, in 3:10 by Crowe, and in The Prestige by Jackman. He was really good in Batman Begins, and was fantastic in The Machinist and American Psycho. Rescue Dawn...meh, he wasn't really the lead there either. Other than that he's done a bunch of mediocre movies with mediocre performances.

Leo's memorable performances

Inception
Shutter Island
Body of Lies
Blood Diamond
The Departed
The Aviator
Catch Me If You Can
Gangs of New York
Titanic
Romeo + Juliet
The Basketball Diaries
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

With the exception of Gangs of New York and What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Leo was the dominant lead in every one of those films and commanded the screen. In Gangs he was fantastic but it's hard not to be upstaged by Daniel Day-Lewis, and in What's Eating Gilbert Grape...well he just wasn't Gilbert Grape.

Leo's resume is just head and shoulders better than Bales and it's not even close.

Also the reason I didn't mention guys like Depp, Clooney, or Pitt, is because I was focusing on actors in Leo's age range (mid 30's).

you forgot This Boy's Life
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Like I said, I was mostly being sarcastic with the Wahlberg comparison. But I stand by saying that it's a more honest comparison than Leo and Bale. "Only the Aviator"...that's funny. :-b

teddy ballgame wrote:It's pointless to even argue at this point though because I'm not going to be convinced otherwise and neither are you so to each his own.

Word. ;-D

I thought for sure both Leo and Bale would have both been nominated for several Academy Awards. I was slightly surprised to find that Bale has never, not once, been nominated for an Oscar. On the other hand, even though Leo has never won an Oscar (that might change this year), he has be nominated for best supporting actor once and twice for best actor. Not saying that strengthens my case for Leo being the better actor, but it certainly doesn't hurt it. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:03 pm

"But I stand by saying that it's a more honest comparison than Leo and Bale"...that's funny. :-b
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk