Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Metroid wrote:Sucker Punch looks like a visual orgasm.

False advertising. No orgasms, not even any bewbs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Metroid wrote:Sucker Punch looks like a visual orgasm.

False advertising. No orgasms, not even any bewbs.

Well it hasn't been rated yet...there still might be bewbs. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j24jags » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Inception 9.5/10
Amazing visuals, great concept, very well-done. I did really enjoy it, I felt like they over-did it a little bit "because they could," but for me I can't give it a 10. 10s are reserved for my favorite movies of all-time (Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Memento come to mind), but this is the best movie that I have seen in a long-time. I do think it will be even better during a second viewing also.

One quick question to those who have seen it:

SPOILER ALERT (kind of)-Best left unread if you haven't seen it.
One issue I had was that of dying in a dream. Early on, when it is just Ellen Page and Leo in the dreams during her "training," Leo's wife kills Ellen and she just wakes up. I recall this happening to others early on too. How come during the big mission death in the dream leads to "limbo" rather than just waking up? Was that just because it was multiple layers deep or because of the sedative? I didn't understand that distinction between dying and waking up in some dreams, but then dying and being in limbo. I feel like they either A) Did not adequately explain this, or B) They just did it to raise the stakes and make you care more about all the gunfire/explosions/etc in the dreams. Also, the first "layer" of the dream was on the street. They were driving, they just kidnapped Fischer, and there was gunfire and such. How come if you get shot in the first layer of that dream, you don't just wake up? All I recall as the explanation was that this was "unconstructed dream space" or something, what the heck does that mean in English?
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 pm

j24jags wrote:Inception 9.5/10
Amazing visuals, great concept, very well-done. I did really enjoy it, I felt like they over-did it a little bit "because they could," but for me I can't give it a 10. 10s are reserved for my favorite movies of all-time (Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Memento come to mind), but this is the best movie that I have seen in a long-time. I do think it will be even better during a second viewing also.

One issue I had was that of dying in a dream. Early on, when it is just Ellen Page and Leo in the dreams during her "training," Leo's wife kills Ellen and she just wakes up. I recall this happening to others early on too. How come during the big mission death in the dream leads to "limbo" rather than just waking up? Was that just because it was multiple layers deep or because of the sedative? I didn't understand that distinction between dying and waking up in some dreams, but then dying and being in limbo. I feel like they either A) Did not adequately explain this, or B) They just did it to raise the stakes and make you care more about all the gunfire/explosions/etc in the dreams. Also, the first "layer" of the dream was on the street. They were driving, they just kidnapped Fischer, and there was gunfire and such. How come if you get shot in the first layer of that dream, you don't just wake up? All I recall as the explanation was that this was "unconstructed dream space" or something, what the heck does that mean in English?

they mentioned a few times that it was because of the sedative.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:18 pm

Anybody have an opinion on the ending of The Shining? I've now watched this movie probably six times and I have opinions on it.....just wondered what everybody else's theories might have been on it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby silentjim » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
j24jags wrote:Inception 9.5/10

they mentioned a few times that it was because of the sedative.

Yeah, they mentioned they were in too deep of a sleep to be woken up and that only the kick could do so.

I also question why you need to use one of the IV drug machines to go into a dream state inside of a dream. It doesn't really make any sense as the machine or the drug isn't real in the dream. You should just be able to think, "Hey, I'd like to dream inside a dream, and it should happen"

Right?
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:27 pm

Inception: 9.75/10

like many others said, i kind of reserve the 10s for multiple viewings that hold up as well as the first time. i think i have a pretty good analysis of the ending that i havent heard many people discuss.

Cobb doesnt stay to watch the top spin. it doesnt matter to him either way if it falls or keeps spinning. he's accepted it as reality whether it is or not. he's actually moved on and got to face his kids (figuratively and literally). Cobb's children are now his life as opposed to be being opposed with his guilt over his wife. He gets to choose his own reality.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:53 pm

Snakes, that's a really good point. I hadn't thought of that scenario.

Personally, I think the final scene was first-layer dreaming. The kids were wearing identical or nearly identical clothes, they were in exactly the same positions as his memory, and they didn't appear to have grown all that old - and I thought Cobb was gone for years and years from the States. Further, if he couldn't go to the States to see the kids, why not put them on a plane with grandpa and visit them in Paris? It seemed very metaphoric to me, the kind of metaphors dreams are constructed of.

I think the sequel will start with the top still spinning. That's your opening scene.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:39 pm

Inception, in IMAX, is an orgasm for the eyeball. Leonardo Dicaprio is as good an actor as you will ever see. The story line was complex, but not so much that you get lost. It demands your attention. It made me hold my urine for at least half the movie, after breaking my seal at the bar before hand. I would have waited longer even if it meant slight leakage. That's how I know it was a damn good film. Best I've seen in a while at the theater. Superb acting, fantastic and realistic (as realistic as bending a city street can look) effects.

I can't help but wonder what the people responsible for making this film would have done with Transformers.

Also, the previews to Tron look amazing but I thought the same thing about Clash of the Titans.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:55 pm

knapplc wrote:Snakes, that's a really good point. I hadn't thought of that scenario.

Personally, I think the final scene was first-layer dreaming. The kids were wearing identical or nearly identical clothes, they were in exactly the same positions as his memory, and they didn't appear to have grown all that old - and I thought Cobb was gone for years and years from the States. Further, if he couldn't go to the States to see the kids, why not put them on a plane with grandpa and visit them in Paris? It seemed very metaphoric to me, the kind of metaphors dreams are constructed of.

I think the sequel will start with the top still spinning. That's your opening scene.

Oh come on, no sequel, screw that. The film ended perfectly and there's absolutely no reason to ruin it. Not every awesome movie has to have a sequel. That said...

The question of why the kids never visited him in Paris isn't consistent with the dream theory. It would imply that everything since the episode with Mal would be a dream, including meeting Saito, Ellen Page, etc. Also, first layer dreams are only 20 times as fast as reality, so for it to all have been a dream, Cobb would have to have been asleep for days, weeks, or even months. The reason the kids never visited him was because grandma believe that Cobb killed Mal. If we accept that everything up to the plane trip with Fischer was real, as it was stated before, in dreams you can never remember how you arrived at someplace. Cobb clearly exited the flight and accompanied Alfred home. As for the position of the kids, they were in the same place but in a different position. I looked for this detail the second time through and they were definitely different from the dream versions. As for why they didn't age, it was never made clear exactly how long Cobb had been gone. If it was like a year or so, the kids wouldn't have changed all that much. Besides, what were the filmmakers supposed to do, put a hold on filming for a year or two so the kids could age enough for a five second appearance in the final scene?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk