Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:40 am

I watched my fair share of in-flight movies and so, here's what I caught up on:

How To Train Your Dragon - 8/10 - I don't care much for animated kid-friendly films, but given the good reviews here and elsewhere, this was the first film I wanted to see. Entertaining, good story, and surprisingly good depth, and simply does what it says on the tin.

Shutter Island - 6.5/10 - I was expecting a more suspenseful buildup from this, going in, and was a bit disappointed. The ending was quite predictable IMO, but then again, I've seen my share of films that run parallel like this one did, and that's OK. However, the pace of the film just dragged on a bit too much for my liking. Decent film, does what it says on the tin, in the end.

The Book of Eli - 6/10 - Decent post-apocalyptic film that belongs in the "terribly good" bin. The plot has its flaws, but I found the action scenes and the cinematography to be well done. Fun film that has its biblical overtones and again, does what it says on the tin.

Clash of the Titans - 2/10 - Out of morbid curiosity, I saw this film only because of the Liam Neeson meme of releasing the Kraken and after I saw the Kraken scene (FFS, that thing is not a Kraken), I just said next and looked at what else was on and better yet, I fell asleep. :-b

West Side Story - 9/10 - First off, whoever had the idea at Emirates to put vintage films on their in-flight entertainment system is a bloody lifesaver. Now then, I hadn't seen West Side Story the film in a long time since I was say, 11 years old, and so, I watched this out of nostalgia. If memory served me correctly, I liked singing the Officer Krupke song which would drive my mother off the wall to say, "stop singing that song or you're going to make people think I'm a deadbeat mother!", but I usually couldn't help myself in singing that song because it was so bloody catchy and the least fairy-sounding song in that musical anyway. I always thought that the film drags on too long after the climactic rumble scene and I thought so in this viewing as well. So long I thought Bernardo and Riff were killed yesterday (sorry for the spoiler then). A few things I adore about this film: the choreography, the visual representation, the musical score of course, and why I had a crush on Natalie Wood as a kid. I get a kick out of Jets saying "ever-loving" to make up for not being able to say the F word too. :-b

Bullitt - 9/10 - Whoever decided to put Bullitt on the Emirates' entertainment system is an ever-loving genius. Seriously, I think Steve McQueen was the epitome of cool and I'd say this mystique of coolness is what overshadows whatever deficiencies he had as an actor. Most remember this classic for the Bullitt green '68 Ford Mustang and the famous car chase, which is the best highlight of this film. What goes a bit overlooked, I think, is that Bullitt is a straightforward detective film which inspired the greatness that is The French Connection and Dirty Harry. A classic and one of my all-time favorite films. Despite being a Chevy-loyal owner, I would love nothing more than that vintage Mustang in my garage.

In The Heat of the Night - 9.5/10 - Truthfully, I hadn't seen this film before. I remember the old MGM VHS tapes I had of West Side Story and Raging Bull growing up had little teaser bits about the films in MGM's classics collection and In The Heat of the Night was like the last on that teaser. I was familiar with Rod Steiger as that guy who played Judd on Oklahoma and I thought any film with Rod Steiger has to be a hoot. For some reason, I found Sidney Poitier saying "They call me MR. TIBBS!!!!" quite comical. Somehow, I never got to see this film, sadly enough. Anyhow, Poitier plays a detective who somehow finds himself aiding an investigation of a murder in a small town in Mississippi and finds himself working with a racist sheriff played by Steiger. A fantastic film by two excellent actors leading it and an honest look at racism during the times of the Civil Rights Movement in the South.

A Fistful of Dollars - 9/10 - Couldn't find For A Few Dollars More or The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly there, but well I wouldn't complain about seeing the first of Sergio Leone's spaghetti western trilogy. Leone's trilogy is actually based a bit off Akira Kurosawa's work (in fact, this film is a remake of Yojimbo) and just exchange samurai with cowboys and you have The Man With No Name trilogy. Not as grandiose as The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly in particular, but on its own merits, it's a terrific film.

Little Miss Sunshine - 9/10 - Seen this several times before and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I had seen. Still as fresh and original of a dark comedy as it was a few years back.

Edge of Darkness - 7/10 - Somehow I got the vibe looking into this film that I was going to watch a re-hash of Ransom mixed in with Taken. Better than advertised, or at least better than my preconceptions would have otherwise been.

The Damned United - 8/10 - This is a soccer-related film I've been waiting to see for quite some time. Kind of hard to explain the premise to a non-football fans, but it a somewhat biographical pic about Brian Clough, a legendary manager who famously led Nottingham Forest, a relatively small English club to back-to-back European Cups. Before Clough managed at Forest, he had a very brief stint at Leeds United (the United in question, not Manchester United). Clough had a rivalry with former Leeds manager Don Revie, who took up the England job, and this illustrates the roots of the Clough/Revie feud dating back to when Clough was the manager at Forest's hated rivals, Derby County. It's great entertainment, really, but most of this is a fictional account with its inaccuracies about Clough's life and career.

Looking For Eric - 9/10 - Holy f***, I waited over a year to see Looking For Eric and I wasn't disappointed. The movie is about a postman who is a religiously fanatical Manchester United supporter (hey, like me!) named Eric who becomes depressed with well, life in general. He has hallucinations of seeing former United legend and personal demigod, Eric Cantona and King Eric helps postman Eric to cope with life's problems. This was a great examination of us football, erm, soccer fans who look up to footballers as larger than life demigods that we believe we have some kind of deep rapport with. I know growing up, I worshiped Eric Cantona (shoot, Eric Cantona is my personal saviour to this day), and he has an iconic line here of "I am not a man, I am Cantona", and I have that woven on a United tricolor flag I bought in Manchester. Anyhow, I digress. I related to this film more because I'm a hopelessly religious United fan, but on its own merits, it's an uplifting film and a well-told story about how sports can be a safe haven and an obsession from the everyday toils of life.

I found my absolute favorite scene in the whole film and unfortunately I'm really just as obsessed about United as Steve Evets is in this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLEd3f1PGG0 (fastforward to 2:20)

+1 bonus point for Eric Cantona and it being a United film of sorts to the rating.

Inception (IMAX) - 9/10 - Now then, my English cousin talked me into watching Inception saying I wouldn't regret it. So, we went to the local IMAX in Manchester one evening, and she was right, the film was immense. I think like Blade Runner and 2001, it's difficult to rate this movie based off one viewing and you have to see it a few times to really appreciate it. As-is, it was great and the presentation was perfect in IMAX. I'd be hard-pressed to give it a perfect 10 because it sort of entails that it's an all-time great film, but I'll surely give it another viewing or two to give it a proper rating. On first impression, it meets the hype and it's an intricately made film in more ways than one.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:the least fairy-sounding song in that musical

:-?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:the least fairy-sounding song in that musical

:-?

Yeah, I know they don't make them like they used to.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 am

I must have listened to the West Side Story record a thousand times as a kid. It's the first musical I ever saw and I had the same desire to sing the songs everywhere - though I was mostly singing the "When I'm a Jet..."
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:22 pm

joejlitz wrote:I must have listened to the West Side Story record a thousand times as a kid. It's the first musical I ever saw and I had the same desire to sing the songs everywhere - though I was mostly singing the "When I'm a Jet..."

Ah yes, "When You're a Jet". Not as fun to sing as the Officer Krupke song, but otherwise catchy and brilliant. Each time someone mentions it, I'll remember it word for word from my subconscious memory like clockwork. Only problem is I can't help but think I'm missing a verse from the beginning (When you're a Jet, you're a Jet, from your first cigarette to your last dying day) to the bit of "When you're a Jet, let them do what they can. You've got brothers around, you're a family man". :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
joejlitz wrote:I must have listened to the West Side Story record a thousand times as a kid. It's the first musical I ever saw and I had the same desire to sing the songs everywhere - though I was mostly singing the "When I'm a Jet..."

Ah yes, "When You're a Jet". Not as fun to sing as the Officer Krupke song, but otherwise catchy and brilliant. Each time someone mentions it, I'll remember it word for word from my subconscious memory like clockwork. Only problem is I can't help but think I'm missing a verse from the beginning (When you're a Jet, you're a Jet, from your first cigarette to your last dying day) to the bit of "When you're a Jet, let them do what they can. You've got brothers around, you're a family man". :-b

This is from memory, and I haven't seen WSS for years and years, but I'm pretty sure the lyric is:

When you're a Jet
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
'til your last dying day
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

This is from memory, and I haven't seen WSS for years and years, but I'm pretty sure the lyric is:

When you're a Jet
You're a Jet all the way
From your first cigarette
'til your last dying day

Bah, forgot that "all the way" part. I was cycling the words through in my mind and not singing it out. Had I sung it out, it would've naturally come to me. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby knapplc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't know any other part of that song, or any of the songs from that musical, from memory. But for some reason that lyric comes to me clear as a bell. Weird.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:07 pm

knapplc wrote:I don't know any other part of that song, or any of the songs from that musical, from memory. But for some reason that lyric comes to me clear as a bell. Weird.

True, but I was more surprised I knew the first verses and chorus of the Officer Krupke song, more than anything. The part that begins, "Gee, Officer Krupke, we're very upset" to "like inside, the worst of us is good". That and the "Gee, Officer Krupke! Krup you!" ending.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:43 pm

Sucker Punch looks like a visual orgasm.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk