Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Beverly Hills Cop II - 7.5/10 - Not as good as the first, obviously, but it's still fun to watch. Rosewood wielding two shotguns at once at the end always gets me. :-b

Life - 8.75/10 - After realizing this film wasn't about the board game or the cereal, I almost stopped watching. But I couldn't find the remote and decided, ah, screw it. Turns out it's a pretty damn good movie, sort of like the Shawshank Redemption except Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence are the stars.

A big thumbs up to Comedy Central for only playing good Eddie Murphy movies (Life, Beverly Hills Cop I and II, Trading Places, Coming to America, and Raw). I too would love to erase Dr. Dolittle, Norbit, and the Nutty Professor from history.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:07 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:...A big thumbs up to Comedy Central for only playing good Eddie Murphy movies (Life, Beverly Hills Cop I and II, Trading Places, Coming to America, and Raw). I too would love to erase Dr. Dolittle, Norbit, and the Nutty Professor from history.

Nutty Professor 2 was a great soundtrack, though! I downloaded my old CD into my Itunes and listen to it from time to time. ;-D
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Invictus - 5/10 - Slow, the in-game scenes were poorly done, and it left out key things from the book that would have enhanced the story.

Apocalypse Now - 7/10 - A little long but yet another solid Vietnam movie. Full Metal Jacket is still my favorite though.

Harry Brown - 8/10 - Very intense but not over the top. Kind of like Taken but with a better story, IMO.

Toy Story 3 - 9/10 - Another great addition to the series. It's been awhile since I saw the first two so I don't know how I would rank them, but the fact that it's debatable between the three is pretty impressive for a trilogy.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Knight and Day - 8/10 Happy to say this movie exceeded expectations. Heard summer blockbuster and a lot of fun tossed around by the critics/fan reviews and they were spot on. Entertaining as hell and Cruise and Cameron worked very well together.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby j24jags » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Toy Story 3-9.5/10, great movie, Pixar delivers again, what a great trilogy.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:11 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Life - 8.75/10 - After realizing this film wasn't about the board game or the cereal, I almost stopped watching. But I couldn't find the remote and decided, ah, screw it. Turns out it's a pretty damn good movie, sort of like the Shawshank Redemption except Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence are the stars.

haha...what? This is like saying Super Troopers is sort of like The Departed because both movies are about a state police force.

Neato Torpedo wrote:A big thumbs up to Comedy Central for only playing good Eddie Murphy movies (Life, Beverly Hills Cop I and II, Trading Places, Coming to America, and Raw). I too would love to erase Dr. Dolittle, Norbit, and the Nutty Professor from history.

I have a theory that Eddie Murphy would be thought of as one of the top three or so comedians of all time if he would have stepped off the set just after completing Coming to America and been hit by a bus. We'd remember him for his SNL run, his two great standup specials, 48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop and Beverly Hills Cop II, and Coming to America without having the thought of those tainted by, well, pretty much the entire 22 years since (with a few exceptions), plus then he'd have the 'died in his prime' bonus that always makes us think people were better actors/singers/comedians/athletes/etc. than they really were. The theory also applies to Ice Cube, who I'd probably give all the way up to the original Friday.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 am

Yeah is a guy from NWA, who gave us the classic "Gangsta's Fairytale" with the memorable lyrics from below really pimping family friendly TV these days? :-b

Little boys and girls, they all love me
Come sit on the lap of I-C-E
And let me tell ya a story or two
About a punk-ass n**** I knew
Named Jack, he wasn't that nimble, wasn't that quick
Jumped over the candlestick and burnt his d**k
Ran up the street cause he was piping hot
Met a b***h named Jill on the bus stop
Dropped a line or two, and he had the hoe
At that type of s**t he's a pro
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Metroid wrote:Yeah is a guy from NWA, who gave us the classic "Gangsta's Fairytale" with the memorable lyrics from below really pimping family friendly TV these days? :-b

Little boys and girls, they all love me
Come sit on the lap of I-C-E
And let me tell ya a story or two
About a punk-ass n**** I knew
Named Jack, he wasn't that nimble, wasn't that quick
Jumped over the candlestick and burnt his d**k
Ran up the street cause he was piping hot
Met a b***h named Jill on the bus stop
Dropped a line or two, and he had the hoe
At that type of s**t he's a pro

Ha...definitely. If Cube died in 1995, we'd remember him for all of his music up to and including Lethal Injection, plus Boyz n the Hood, Higher Learning, and Friday, but not Anaconda, The Players Club, the horrible Friday sequels, the Are We There Yet? trilogy, and all of the crappy music he put out over the last 15 years.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 pm

180° South - 8/10

Adventurer/rock climber/surfer dude Jeff Johnson and some of his outdoorsman buddies travel to Patagonia inspired by a documentary of a famous climb of Cerro Corcovado by Yvon Chouinard and Doug Tompkins (co-founded North Face) in 1968. The central message of the film is the need to find a way to continue to progress as a civilization without destroying the planet. These are people who are extremely passionate about the outdoors and conservation efforts - something that I'm sure won't appeal to everyone.

Worth seeing IMO. This is available to watch instantly on Netflix right now.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:35 pm

Metroid wrote:Yeah is a guy from NWA, who gave us the classic "Gangsta's Fairytale" with the memorable lyrics from below really pimping family friendly TV these days? :-b

I'm wary, too.

Ain't no telling when he's down for a jack move.
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk