Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:apartheid, why? Just because it was in South Africa?
The aliens came here, not the other way around, in District 9 it was the aliens who were the strangers. Also the aliens contributed nothing, were leeches on society and were generally useless. I don't see the apartheid analogy.

You really don't see the similarities? As others have said, it was made pretty obvious - possibly to a fault.
Ya know, the famous District 6? The similarities don't hinge on the fact that the aliens landed on earth rather than the other way around. The "Prawns" were metaphors of the colonialist stereotypes of Africans during apartheid. Even the dialogue was overtly laden with that theme. Not to mention, Peter Jackson explicitly said that it was an allegory to apartheid. :-b

I just saw the new Alice in Wonderland - 7/10. It was enjoyable, and maybe would have been more if I saw it in 3D, but I thought it was just so-so.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:20 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
thedude wrote:
joejlitz wrote:SPOILER ALERT!

Damn, too late. :-X

So you draw my eyes to the spoiler by making it red? :-{

The important thing is, he didn't reveal who was the winner. Aussie will still be on edge if and when he's brave enough to watch Invictus. :-b

I still can't believe they made a movie about the most disappointing experience in my (at the time) 13 year old life. That game still gives me nightmares. And reality alert WE WERE FOOD POISONED (look it up, it's true) because we were clearly the best team by far in the tournament. I bet there isn't a scene where the cheating South Africans are poisoning us.

And no I will never ever watch it.

P.S .... Artful's sister/female relative is bad in the sack.

/rant
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby bigken117 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:08 pm

Shutter Island - recommended.

Spoilers:

I don't like where everything of importance to the plot was a hallucination. Most importantly the scene in the cave with Solando. It made the twist semi cheap. "Nothing's real". That said, when the twist was unfolding, I still didn't believe it until Leo was lucid in the bed and admitted everything.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby JRAMI » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:21 am

bigken117 wrote:Shutter Island - recommended.

Spoilers:

I don't like where everything of importance to the plot was a hallucination. Most importantly the scene in the cave with Solando. It made the twist semi cheap. "Nothing's real". That said, when the twist was unfolding, I still didn't believe it until Leo was lucid in the bed and admitted everything.

yes, very good movie. I just saw this last week and waited on it because just based on the commercials I figured I knew the twist in the plot but was way wrong. Score another one for Scorsece!
JRAMI
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:35 am

bigken117 wrote:Shutter Island - recommended.

Spoilers:

yeah Spoiler:i thought it was somewhat lame as well but did like the twist at the end where he decided he'd rather get lobotomized than live with knowing what he did. i've also read on another board a theory that he actually was a marshall but all the flashbacks and whatnot werent real and that the doctor made him believe all that to turn him crazy. i dont really buy that but it is somewhat intriguing
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:40 pm

did he really decide that on his own though? I never thought that. I also pretty much believed the other theory the whole way through until that very last scene.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:41 am

I thought Shutter Island was predictable, but it was still really good. The twist needed to be there so I don't want to say, take the twist out and it's still a good movie, but knowing what was going to happen didn't take anything away from a great story with many memorable scenes.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:21 am

Robin Hood (2010 - the Russel Crowe version) 7/10
I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it until a ridiculously stupid final battle scene that almost destroyed the entire movie for me. It wasn't the typical Robin Hood story, it was new and the acting was great as was the cinematography. It was just a little stupid at the end.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:42 am

jfg wrote:I thought Shutter Island was predictable, but it was still really good. The twist needed to be there so I don't want to say, take the twist out and it's still a good movie, but knowing what was going to happen didn't take anything away from a great story with many memorable scenes.

+1

Youth in Revolt - 6/10. Movie just didn't do anything for me and I had heard this script didn't do the book any justice. Oh and surprise, Michael Cera is still a kid in school. :-°
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i thought it was somewhat lame as well but did like the twist at the end where he decided he'd rather get lobotomized than live with knowing what he did. i've also read on another board a theory that he actually was a marshall but all the flashbacks and whatnot werent real and that the doctor made him believe all that to turn him crazy. i dont really buy that but it is somewhat intriguing

Same. But I've seen Shutter Island twice now and I'm still not exactly sure what I believe about the ending.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk