Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:33 am

Mookie4ever wrote:District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.

I liked it, it was a pretty good allegory for apartheid and an original and well-done story, but you are right about the questionable use of the two styles. When they transition away from the documentary style, it ruins the entire continuity of the movie and takes you out of it as a viewer.

8/10 for me, though.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:36 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:
I'll go ahead and help you out here, you did not like this movie. There was very little to like about it. That was easily one of the worst movies I've seen in in a long time. The acting was just not good. Most all of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. Probably because they mixed the mocumentry style with traditional as you said. Some of the CG was cool but that's about it. It's unfortunate too because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.


FAIL

it's all good though, people like what they like (or dont like)
Fail

Oh I agree, people like what they like, but dude I am the most easy going movie critic you will ever meet. It takes a special kind of crap movie to jar really bad review from me. I can only think of two movies in the past few years that I actually felt like I wasted time out of my life, District 9 and Shoot em Up. Both of those movies were so bad they make Waterworld look like cinematic gold. :-D


Shoot 'Em Up is total jokes, it's a movie you can't take seriously. I loved it.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:41 am

RedHopeful wrote:Invictus - 7/10. Would have given it a higher grade but was a bit disappointed with Morgan Freeman's accent. Also, the movie needed a little more editing as that was one heck of a long rugby game. :-° Good thing the movie ended with the euphoric feeling of winning the game because their has still been plenty of problems/resentment since then...

Watched this yesterday before South Africa lost to Uruguay.

Morgan Freeman did a very good job as Mandela, but the rest of the movie was underwhelming and you're right, it really could have been cut down a bit. I expected more from a Clint Eastwood movie.

7/10 as well.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:56 am

State of Play: 6.5/10
i hadnt heard of this movie and with russell crowe and ben affleck, i was surprised. watched it on demand the other night and it was pretty good. a little far fetched in some aspects but overall fairly decent.

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist: 6/10
much better than i thought it would be. it wasnt that funny, or that great, but it kept my attention and was alright.
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:48 am

mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.

I liked it, it was a pretty good allegory for apartheid and an original and well-done story, but you are right about the questionable use of the two styles. When they transition away from the documentary style, it ruins the entire continuity of the movie and takes you out of it as a viewer.

8/10 for me, though.


I guess I don't see a movie where the allegory is so obvious as being good. That's just me. I hated that movie and that was one of the primary reasons.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:59 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.

I liked it, it was a pretty good allegory for apartheid and an original and well-done story, but you are right about the questionable use of the two styles. When they transition away from the documentary style, it ruins the entire continuity of the movie and takes you out of it as a viewer.

8/10 for me, though.


I guess I don't see a movie where the allegory is so obvious as being good. That's just me. I hated that movie and that was one of the primary reasons.

That's fair. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece or anything, but I was entertained, which is what I look for mainly in a movie.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 am

Toy Story 3 is getting ridiculously good reviews. It looks like Pixar has done it again.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:03 am

mweir145 wrote:but I was entertained, which is what I look for mainly in a movie.


lol no way really
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 7852
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:09 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:but I was entertained, which is what I look for mainly in a movie.


lol no way really

There are some great movies that I didn't find that entertaining but found other things to appreciate about them.

And then there are some movies that have no redeeming qualities at all (Gerry? :-o ).
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby markj11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 am

mweir145 wrote:Toy Story 3 is getting ridiculously good reviews. It looks like Pixar has done it again.


I'm going tonight.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2112
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact