Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:You must not have watched Gerry.

yeah I have yet to attempt the Gerry challenge. haha.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Waterworld was awesome. In a Starship Troopers kind of way admittedly but Jeanne Tripplehorn was hot and the movie itself was captivating.

And Met, "drug on"? :-{
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:You must not have watched Gerry.

Top YouTube comment on its trailer:

Not Art's Friend wrote:god, this movie was so hypnotizing. it showed the rough and yet beautiful might of the nature amazingly.
but i dont get why so many people dont like this kind of movie. i feel like im the only one who is really convinced of this movie, while all my other friends like "cool" (lets say uncool) crap like crank or transformers. who says a movie needs a lot of dialogues or action? its art, just because something is different, people think its bad. "nothing happens", they say. i dont get it.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Waterworld was awesome. In a Starship Troopers kind of way admittedly but Jeanne Tripplehorn was hot and the movie itself was captivating.

And Met, "drug on"? :-{

I only mentioned Waterworld because it was the first movie that popped into my head that most people consider one of the worst films of all time. I actually did like it in that Starship Troopers, Showgirls, Battlefield Earth kind of way. District 9 wasn't even good in that sense. It was non so bad it was good...it was just bad.:-D

Yeah it did drag on. But I probably felt that way because I really did not like it from the drop, so the entire film felt like it was a drag on. It's hard for me to remember clearly now that's it's not fresh on my mind, but I remember that staying awake through the shoot outs, and explosion filled chases especially, was an exercise in futility. There was so much wrong with that film. None of the characters were believable or likable. None of the acting was good. The CG characters were more annoying than anything. It was easily the worst I have ever seen of "documentary" style filmmaking, not sure why they bothered with it at all.

All that said, the CG weapons scenes were pretty awesome and some of the other CG was cool. And again, the story was somewhat a fresh idea, kudos for that, it was just poorly executed.

Just my humble opinion. :-)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby joejlitz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Invictus - 7/10. Would have given it a higher grade but was a bit disappointed with Morgan Freeman's accent. Also, the movie needed a little more editing as that was one heck of a long rugby game. :-° Good thing the movie ended with the euphoric feeling of winning the game because their has still been plenty of problems/resentment since then...

SPOILER ALERT!

Damn, too late. :-X
joejlitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:17 pm

joejlitz wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:Invictus - 7/10. Would have given it a higher grade but was a bit disappointed with Morgan Freeman's accent. Also, the movie needed a little more editing as that was one heck of a long rugby game. :-° Good thing the movie ended with the euphoric feeling of winning the game because their has still been plenty of problems/resentment since then...

SPOILER ALERT!

So you draw my eyes to the spoiler by making it red? :-{
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:28 pm

thedude wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

SPOILER ALERT!

The important thing is, he didn't reveal who was the winner. Aussie will still be on edge if and when he's brave enough to watch Invictus. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby j24jags » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.

I liked this one, I thought it was a good analogy to apartheid.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:07 pm

j24jags wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.

I liked this one, I thought it was a good analogy to apartheid.

apartheid, why? Just because it was in South Africa?
The aliens came here, not the other way around, in District 9 it was the aliens who were the strangers. Also the aliens contributed nothing, were leeches on society and were generally useless. I don't see the apartheid analogy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
thedude wrote:
joejlitz wrote:SPOILER ALERT!

The important thing is, he didn't reveal who was the winner. Aussie will still be on edge if and when he's brave enough to watch Invictus. :-b

Lol! O:-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk