100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:42 pm

markj11 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
j24jags wrote:Boiler Room - 7/10, Interesting Wall Street movie, not the most realistic, but worth seeing if you are interested in seeing overdramatized stock brokers at work ;-D

Giovanni Ribisi was pretty good in that and Ben Affleck was actually tolerable (likeable?).

Watched Coraline with my kid after siing that it had won an Oscar. Pretty good, but maybe not so much for a 4-year old. Kind of scary stuff because the "mom" wants to pop out Coralines eyes with a needle and replace them with buttons (not a spoiler alert). But he was good through it and said he liked it.

For adults - it's ok. Nothing earth-moving. If you are looking for a great cartoon movie to share with kids, go see Up.

How to Train a Dragon FTW, should be out on DVD in July.

;-D

Best kids movie every imo
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j24jags » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:39 pm

joejlitz wrote:
j24jags wrote:Boiler Room - 7/10, Interesting Wall Street movie, not the most realistic, but worth seeing if you are interested in seeing overdramatized stock brokers at work ;-D

Giovanni Ribisi was pretty good in that and Ben Affleck was actually tolerable (likeable?).

I actually really liked Ben Affleck in it. Vin Diesel too.

As for the How to Train Your Dragon comments, agreed, best kids movie ever. ;-D
I believe I gave it a 9.5 here
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:41 am

District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 am

Invictus - 7/10. Would have given it a higher grade but was a bit disappointed with Morgan Freeman's accent. Also, the movie needed a little more editing as that was one heck of a long rugby game. :-° Good thing the movie ended with the euphoric feeling of winning the game because their has still been plenty of problems/resentment since then...
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:27 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Invictus - 7/10. Would have given it a higher grade but was a bit disappointed with Morgan Freeman's accent. Also, the movie needed a little more editing as that was one heck of a long rugby game. :-° Good thing the movie ended with the euphoric feeling of winning the game because their has still been plenty of problems/resentment since then...

I hear Aussie can't wait to see this movie. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:District 9 ?/10

I don't know whether I liked this movie. It was an interesting concept. I don't think that I liked the first half that was done in a mockumentary style. It got unneccesarily guesome sometimes. The second half when it turned into traditional storytelling mode got a little hollywood sappy with the nonviolent alien father and his little kid. I also didn't understand the point of the Nigerians. The high points of the movie are the concept and the guy who played Wikus, he was great. I really didn't like the use of two styles, either make the entire movie as a mockumentary or make the entire thing as a traditional movie, the switch over between styles was very awkward.

I'll go ahead and help you out here, you did not like this movie. There was very little to like about it. That was easily one of the worst movies I've seen in in a long time. The acting was just not good. Most all of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. Probably because they mixed the mocumentry style with traditional as you said. Some of the CG was cool but that's about it. It's unfortunate too because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:21 pm

Metroid wrote:

I'll go ahead and help you out here, you did not like this movie. There was very little to like about it. That was easily one of the worst movies I've seen in in a long time. The acting was just not good. Most all of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. Probably because they mixed the mocumentry style with traditional as you said. Some of the CG was cool but that's about it. It's unfortunate too because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.

FAIL

it's all good though, people like what they like (or dont like)
Fail
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Invictus - 7/10. Would have given it a higher grade but was a bit disappointed with Morgan Freeman's accent. Also, the movie needed a little more editing as that was one heck of a long rugby game. :-° Good thing the movie ended with the euphoric feeling of winning the game because their has still been plenty of problems/resentment since then...

I'm halfway through this and not liking it much so far. Very slow and there's something in almost every scene that makes me scratch my head, whether its the music, dialogue, or something else. We read the book in one of my classes last semester and that comparison doesn't help the movie either.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:

FAIL

it's all good though, people like what they like (or dont like)
Fail

Oh I agree, people like what they like, but dude I am the most easy going movie critic you will ever meet. It takes a special kind of crap movie to jar really bad review from me. I can only think of two movies in the past few years that I actually felt like I wasted time out of my life, District 9 and Shoot em Up. Both of those movies were so bad they make Waterworld look like cinematic gold. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:13 pm

You must not have watched Gerry.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner