Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 09, 2010 6:30 pm

It's been a long while since I read the Burgess novel, but aside from a few things, Kubrick's adaptation was quite faithful to the material. I do remember it being more confusing of a read and that's where the visual representation of the movie really does help. The book as you would expect, was more in-depth especially when it came to the whole gist of the plot and there's more closure with the book ending than in the film.

I guess while we're on the topic of Stanley Kubrick films, come to think of it, I was probably generous in giving Full Metal Jacket a perfect 10. IMO, Dr. Strangelove was his most complete film and is the only one I would feel comfortable in giving a 10/10. Paths of Glory is closer to 10 than Full Metal Jacket, after a second think, in fact.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Sun May 09, 2010 7:11 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:It's been a long while since I read the Burgess novel, but aside from a few things, Kubrick's adaptation was quite faithful to the material. I do remember it being more confusing of a read and that's where the visual representation of the movie really does help. The book as you would expect, was more in-depth especially when it came to the whole gist of the plot and there's more closure with the book ending than in the film.

I guess while we're on the topic of Stanley Kubrick films, come to think of it, I was probably generous in giving Full Metal Jacket a perfect 10. IMO, Dr. Strangelove was his most complete film and is the only one I would feel comfortable in giving a 10/10. Paths of Glory is closer to 10 than Full Metal Jacket, after a second think, in fact.

Burgess ended up not liking the movie and strongly disliking Kubrick over the movie's complete disregard of the last chapter in the book. Perhaps I shouldn't reveal the subject matter of that last chapter for the sake of those that hope to read the book but suffice to say, it's noticeably absent from the film and not what Burgess intended.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Mon May 10, 2010 9:22 am

My favorite part of the book was learning the "language". I found it to be an ingenius little perk to a very cool story.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon May 10, 2010 9:46 am

Inukchuk wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:A Clockwork Orange

Book>>>>>>>>Movie

That's pretty much true of any book made into a movie.
A Clockwork Orange the movie was good but they should have stuck with the ending in the book.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon May 10, 2010 11:25 am

Leap Year 2/10

When I was 13 or 14 my friend's family hosted a foreign exchange student from Ireland. Other than having an at-times-indiscernible accent, he didn't fit any of the Irish stereotypes that I had learned from movies, TV, and cereal boxes. His last name wasn't even Mc-something or O'anything. I think it was Smith. Anyway, he wasn't pasty and pale and redheaded, he had blue eyes and black hair and just about every girl in my middle school thought he was cute and loved his accent. Being one of his best friends at the school, this obviously paid great dividends for me. He left at the end of the school year and as far as I know, not even his host family ever heard from him again. This movie sucks worse than most sucky romantic-comedy chick-flicks.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby urbanbreez » Mon May 10, 2010 11:48 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Leap Year 2/10

When I was 13 or 14 my friend's family hosted a foreign exchange student from Ireland. Other than having an at-times-indiscernible accent, he didn't fit any of the Irish stereotypes that I had learned from movies, TV, and cereal boxes. His last name wasn't even Mc-something or O'anything. I think it was Smith. Anyway, he wasn't pasty and pale and redheaded, he had blue eyes and black hair and just about every girl in my middle school thought he was cute and loved his accent. Being one of his best friends at the school, this obviously paid great dividends for me. He left at the end of the school year and as far as I know, not even his host family ever heard from him again. This movie sucks worse than most sucky romantic-comedy chick-flicks.

You sound like an excellent wing-man.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RedHopeful » Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 pm

2012 - 3.5/10 Heard that it was good for the cgi and not much else. They were right. I know it's supposed to just be for entertainment value but it was an overly long and absurd story. Can't figure out whether driving a car through a collapsing building or Cusack showing incredible speed and strength to get out of an RV falling quickly into an expanding crevice and then running to catch a plane taking off was the biggest ;-D . :-B
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Any non-GF reviews of Iron Man 2? I'm going to slay two birds with one stone, watching Iron Man 2 the same weekend as Robin Hood (still, the Errol Flynn version is best although the new Russell Crowe film looks awesome).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby RugbyD » Mon May 10, 2010 1:48 pm

The Time Travler's Wife - 5/10
Had to watch this with the lady and the most positive thing I can say about it was that it could have been worse. Interesting concept, though the time traveling didn't quite tie out. I appreciated how they kept with Terminator science and didn't allow anything dead to travel. It wasn't too sappy like a lot of chick-flicks are. That is all.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon May 10, 2010 1:50 pm

My favorite Robin Hood movie is the animated one. This new one looks like the lovechild of Braveheard and Gladiator. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've always kind of been a sucker for the Robin Hood myth, I doubt I'll get a chance to see it in the theater, but I'll definitely check for it when it comes out.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk