Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tukka » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:41 am

Boondock Saints - 7/10.

Basically has no plot, but it sustains itself pretty well on style/action alone. I liked Willem Defoe's character.
Tukka Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:59 am

Tukka wrote:Boondock Saints - 7/10.

Basically has no plot, but it sustains itself pretty well on style/action alone. I liked Willem Defoe's character.

You're the first person I've ever heard talk about Boondock Saints without the words "greatest movie ever."

I don't believe the hype; I refuse to see it.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Coppermine wrote:

You're the first person I've ever heard talk about Boondock Saints without the words "greatest movie ever."

Wasn't as good as I thought it would be.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:47 pm

Reign Over Me starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler.

8/10 ;-D

Holy crap, was this good! It's a drama for sure, but it's really well done. Touches on themes I think most guys can deal with.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ThatDude » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:49 pm

Coppermine wrote:

I certainly wouldn't call it the best movie ever, but it's damn good.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby luckygehrig » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:42 am

I just watched Boondock Saints the other night. I saw a censored and edited version on TV, so bear in mind that I might not have gotten the whole experience. I've heard a lot of hype about the movie and it was alright. I'd say 7 out of 10. I'd like to go back and watch it again without the commercials and the censors.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:42 am

It was a miserable, rainy day yesterday, so while I was doing endless laundry, I finally got around to watching Thank You For Smoking as well as Donnie Darko for the first time each. I enjoyed both thoroughlly. Wrapping ones head around Darko is a bit tough, but from what I understand, the Director's Cut has some important scenes added and commentaries, etc. I did read a few articles explaining the movie a bit further, which helped. Anyway, both movies were as advertised, and worth seeing again. ;-D ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:41 pm

The DC of DD is about 30 minutes longer, but it definitely closes more of the open-ended stuff that's there in the original.

Great movie. ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Tukka » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:49 pm

luckygehrig wrote:I just watched Boondock Saints the other night. I saw a censored and edited version on TV, so bear in mind that I might not have gotten the whole experience. I've heard a lot of hype about the movie and it was alright. I'd say 7 out of 10. I'd like to go back and watch it again without the commercials and the censors.

Yeah, this isn't really the kind of movie that's supposed to be censored.

I can see why some people would hype the movie a little over-enthusiastically, but really there are a lot of entertaining "clever/noble criminal" movies out there and I don't see how this one particularly sets itself apart of breaks the mold. You've got Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Layer Cake, Snatch, etc. all of which I'd say are better movies overall, with more plot or character development and better dialog. Only if you are heavy into slow-mo action scenes would you say Boondock Saints is a better movie, I would think.

In my book, slow-mo action scenes don't earn you "bestest movie evar" status, no matter how well done (and we're not exactly talking the most epic/coolest fight scenes ever here).
Tukka Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:17 pm

I think it sets itself apart because of the religious themes and the overall argument of the film. I don't think this is a better film than the ones you listed (except Layer Cake) but I think it's a vastly different type of film even though it shares some common characteristics. By the end of the film the argument is made that these are good men. I think analysis of that argument (if you're into that sort of thing) and the analysis of whether or not they were truly messengers of God make it a wonderful movie. Not greatest ever. I think sometimes movies become cult phenomenons and it ends up hurting them because people focus on the hype and not what made the movie a cult hit in the first place. Just my $.02. :)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk