Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

Tavish wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:Comedies are strange in that every person that watches them finds different things funny. I think that's why there are such divergent opinions on them. Personally, I like both Borat and the Hangover for entirely different comedic reasons...

Comedies anymore seemed to have "evolved" into people walking around saying the most random thing possible. Throw in some cussing and a bunch of sexual references and you have yourself a blockbuster. Some of these formula comedies pull it off decently where they don't seem like complete clones of either Anchorman or Dumb and Dumber, but for the most part there is nothing memorable about them other than a scene or two.

I guess I just find funny realistic situations more my type of humor than just random one-liners. Or maybe it just the actors that are in all these movies that I don't find funny since some of my favorite comedies are things like Marx brothers, Abraham/Zucker, and Brooks movies which are basically nothing but random one-liners and absurd situations.

You forgot that the really big budget ones can afford a famous cameo acting completely opposite to their traditional image. That or the Dan Band singing at a wedding.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:That or the Dan Band singing at a wedding.

If the Dan Band is in a movie, regardess of suckiness up to that point, I will give it a good rating.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Tavish wrote:Comedies anymore seemed to have "evolved" into people walking around saying the most random thing possible. Throw in some cussing and a bunch of sexual references and you have yourself a blockbuster. Some of these formula comedies pull it off decently where they don't seem like complete clones of either Anchorman or Dumb and Dumber, but for the most part there is nothing memorable about them other than a scene or two.

I guess I just find funny realistic situations more my type of humor than just random one-liners. Or maybe it just the actors that are in all these movies that I don't find funny since some of my favorite comedies are things like Marx brothers, Abraham/Zucker, and Brooks movies which are basically nothing but random one-liners and absurd situations.

Definitely. I can watch The Hangover, or whatever that movie was called about the kids trying to bring alcohol to a party and laugh a bit and generally enjoy it a little, but I always end up wondering how they make hundreds of millions of dollars and being very happy that I didn't spend the money to see it in the theater. I feel like the people who are spending their money on these crappy comedies are the same people who think lolcats are hilarious. Unfortunately, they make up like 80% of the population.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Into The Wild - 8.5/10 - Really enjoyed this. Great story, great characters, great soundtrack. It was a tad long, but that's really my only complaint.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Inukchuk wrote:

If the Dan Band is in a movie, regardess of suckiness up to that point, I will give it a good rating.

if i win the lottery i am going to buy a time machine and go back in time and have the Dan Band play at my wedding...

now that i wrote that i need to turn this into a screen play and sell it to Hollywood...i'll get Seth Rogan to play me and add in some hijnks, like maybe i could have the Dan Band travel back in time with me and Future Lambskin and Past Lambskin at the wedding with the Dan Band fighthing the real band we had...i'll call it Lottery Ticket Time Machine Wedding Crashers...i see at least $150M domestic
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:

if i win the lottery i am going to buy a time machine and go back in time and have the Dan Band play at my wedding...

now that i wrote that i need to turn this into a screen play and sell it to Hollywood...i'll get Seth Rogan to play me and add in some hijnks, like maybe i could have the Dan Band travel back in time with me and Future Lambskin and Past Lambskin at the wedding with the Dan Band fighthing the real band we had...i'll call it Lottery Ticket Time Machine Wedding Crashers...i see at least $150M domestic

Don't forget to have Seth Rogan's p.o.s fat friend attached, I think you get a 1½ for 1 deal with both of them.

My screenplay is about me and a friend during the civil war, we collect the bounties on each other but shoot the other guy off the hangman's noose. Then we chase a fortune buried in a grave, and some creepy guy with a moustache is trying to take the fortune for himself.

Clint Eastwood can play me, it's called Plot Plagiarism II; Electric Bugaloo. ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:05 pm

The following goes for all genres. I think a lot of people give movies crappy reviews because they forked out a bunch of money to go to a theater and feel like the movie wasn't worth the small fortune they invested in it. And rightfully so. That's why I rarely go to the theater. 2012 was god awful, and I said as much. It was a crappy 4 dollar rental, had I spent $25+ to see it in the theater I would have felt like I was rapped in a crap filled hot tub time machine.

Which is exactly why I won't be running out to the theater to see Hot Tub Time Machine.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

I don't go to a theater more than 6-7 times a year. Doesn't stop me from watching a ton of movies, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Into The Wild - 8.5/10 - Really enjoyed this. Great story, great characters, great soundtrack. It was a tad long, but that's really my only complaint.

Great movie. ;-D

I've seen this one a few times; I'm still not tired of it.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:20 pm

Into the wild is a great movie. ;-D ;-D ;-D
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk