Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm

Rushmore is my #1, Mulholland Drive is a close second. You need to go into it without any knowledge and be totally confused at the end, then watch it again, and make your own judgments. Then, go on the internet and read other people's thoughts, then watch it again. Or just watch it once, and sit back and enjoy the characters and visuals.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
j24jags wrote:Mulholland Drive: Unrankable/10
If I had to put a # on it: 8.5/10

This movie will evoke very strong emotions, and thus it has several very strong positives and very strong negatives. I'll bash it first before praising it. No matter how smart you think you are, no matter how many other psychological/mystery/thrillers you have seen, if you have no help, upon viewing this movie once, you will have no idea what happened. That is a pretty big negative. However, after reading several different reviews, and doing some searches on it, I feel that I have pieced it together and have an excellent idea of the plot/themes/meaning/etc. I heard that if you buy the DVD, David Finch (insane director) gives ten hints on how to unlock/decipher/understand the movie. Finch does an excellent job with this (He was nominated for Best Director in the Oscars in 2002 for it). I expect that it would be much clearer if I rewatched the film having seen those hints, but all in all it is a movie that keeps you thinking, and you get to see Naomi Watts/Laura Harring topless :-L ... together :-L :-L ;-D

yeah i need to see this...most Lynch movies confuse the hell out of me anyway

David Lynch movies are NEVER straight forward. Take for example Lost Highway, where Bill Pullman's character is convicted of murdering Patricia Arquette's character, and is then sentenced to death row. On death row he physically transforms into a different person played by Balthazar Getty (he is actually a different person, who apparently has a job and a family), and since the authorities see the different person is in prison Getty is released back to his family and job on the outside. Once released Getty meets a woman also played by Patricia Arquette. There is also some Mystery Man who enabled the transformation to occur.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby j24jags » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 pm

jfg wrote:Rushmore is my #1, Mulholland Drive is a close second. You need to go into it without any knowledge and be totally confused at the end, then watch it again, and make your own judgments. Then, go on the internet and read other people's thoughts, then watch it again. Or just watch it once, and sit back and enjoy the characters and visuals.

I haven't seen Rushmore, I'll have to check it out.

Lynch is a crazy/insane guy, but the guy is a genius.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:25 pm

thedude wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
j24jags wrote:Mulholland Drive: Unrankable/10
If I had to put a # on it: 8.5/10

This movie will evoke very strong emotions, and thus it has several very strong positives and very strong negatives. I'll bash it first before praising it. No matter how smart you think you are, no matter how many other psychological/mystery/thrillers you have seen, if you have no help, upon viewing this movie once, you will have no idea what happened. That is a pretty big negative. However, after reading several different reviews, and doing some searches on it, I feel that I have pieced it together and have an excellent idea of the plot/themes/meaning/etc. I heard that if you buy the DVD, David Finch (insane director) gives ten hints on how to unlock/decipher/understand the movie. Finch does an excellent job with this (He was nominated for Best Director in the Oscars in 2002 for it). I expect that it would be much clearer if I rewatched the film having seen those hints, but all in all it is a movie that keeps you thinking, and you get to see Naomi Watts/Laura Harring topless :-L ... together :-L :-L ;-D

yeah i need to see this...most Lynch movies confuse the hell out of me anyway

i dont think i've seen that one either...Blue Velvet and Eraserhead i know i've seen

David Lynch movies are NEVER straight forward. Take for example Lost Highway, where Bill Pullman's character is convicted of murdering Patricia Arquette's character, and is then sentenced to death row. On death row he physically transforms into a different person played by Balthazar Getty (he is actually a different person, who apparently has a job and a family), and since the authorities see the different person is in prison Getty is released back to his family and job on the outside. Once released Getty meets a woman also played by Patricia Arquette. There is also some Mystery Man who enabled the transformation to occur.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:17 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:Alice in Wonderland.
9.5/10
I really really liked this movie but a few scenes kept it from perfection.

Not enough toking? :-?

My first thought too. :-b

Actually plenty of toking, its one of those movies that shrooms would freak you out if you did em and saw it.
But I feel like it would be pretty sweet in 3D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:25 pm

I didn't know it wasn't a straight adaptation of the book going in. It wasn't bad, but I think I would have liked it better if it was just Alice in Wonderland. The IMax 3D was amazing though, I thought it was really cool how they did a Wizard of Oz effect between the real world and Wonderland with the 3D. Without the 3D I think the movie would lose a lot of it's charm so watching it on Bluray or DVD isn't going to be the same experience. A lot of times I found myself admiring the visuals and forgetting about the story since it was kind of forgetable. I'd give the movie at least 2.5/5 just for the 3D effects but without them, it would probably drop down to 1.5/5.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:37 am

Gamer - 7/10 - I came in expecting a suckfest but it has Michael C. Hall and Gerard Butler in it so I decided to watch it. I was in the mood for mindless, completely non-thinky stuff, and Gamer delivered. Still, the action scenes were poorly shot and the blood effects were hilariously bad. Also loses points for having probably the most inexplicably out of place song and dance number in the history of film, but gains points for having Michael C. Hall and Gerard Butler in it. Also gains points because I wen back to that dance number afterwards and it was hilarious.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:09 am

The Informant! meh...
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:01 pm

I was on a bit of a Lynch kick after I watched through Twin Peaks, which was great. I really liked Mulholland Drive, next I would put Lost Highway (Mystery Man is one of the creepiest characters ever), and then Blue Velvet.
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm a huge fan of Blue Velvet and obviously Mulholland Dr.... I still have not seen Lost Highway. I give myself 3 :-t
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk