Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Metroid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I loved that movie but I can find Wes Anderson pretty annoying. If I had seen Darjeeling Limited and that Jacques Cousteau movie first I probably would have thought that Anderson was trying way too hard to be quirky. As it is I don't like his later films instead (with the exception of the Fantastic Mr. Fox).

I didn't mind Darjeelin Limited, it isn't half the movie Tenenbaums or Rushmore is, but I liked it OK. I've only seen it once and it's been a while though so maybe I'm misremembering it. I'm pretty sure I remember liking the short prologue Hotel Chevalier better. I liked Life Aquatic too.

I haven't seen Mr. Fox yet, I keep forgetting about it when I'm at the video store.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Wolfman - 7/10. It is hardly a Godard film or even an Oliver Stone film. It is an entertaining thriller, and as a thriller it succeeds brilliantly.

The film takes place in Victorian England, which fits perfectly with the tone of the movie: The young son of the local noble sees himself as a modern man, the detective from Scotland Yard (just coming off the recent failed Jack the Ripper case) believes that there must be a mad man on the loose, and rudimentary psychiatry tries to find answers in the human mind; there are also gyspies and superstitious villagers who believe dark things walk in the night.

The cinematography is good, and the sound effects are amazing.

The actors are of a much higher grade than you would expect (Oscar winners Hopkins and del Toro).

If you want a fun film, with a decent plot and some good acting, see the Wolfman.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Metroid wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I loved that movie but I can find Wes Anderson pretty annoying. If I had seen Darjeeling Limited and that Jacques Cousteau movie first I probably would have thought that Anderson was trying way too hard to be quirky. As it is I don't like his later films instead (with the exception of the Fantastic Mr. Fox).

I didn't mind Darjeelin Limited, it isn't half the movie Tenenbaums or Rushmore is, but I liked it OK. I've only seen it once and it's been a while though so maybe I'm misremembering it. I'm pretty sure I remember liking the short prologue Hotel Chevalier better. I liked Life Aquatic too.

I haven't seen Mr. Fox yet, I keep forgetting about it when I'm at the video store.

i've been wanting to watch Aquatic again, it definately has it's moments.
Bottle Rocket i'd like to see again too
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:

i've been wanting to watch Aquatic again, it definately has it's moments.
Bottle Rocket i'd like to see again too

Yeah I want to watch Bottle Rocket again too, I probably just need to buy it, Rushmore too. the only Wes Anderson flick I own is Tenanbaums.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Inglourious Basterds- 7.5/10

It was pretty good, the scenes with Brad Pitt in them were awesome as he had some great lines and the whole Nazi killin' part was quite entertaining, but there were some really long and unnecessarily drawn out scenes that got boring in the middle of the movie. Still the end was awesome and it was overall pretty entertaining.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:13 pm

markj11 wrote:Avitar 3D - 9/10 This is the first movie I have seen in the theater in 5.5 years. I only went after reading some of the reviews here. It was amazing. I could care less about political views in movies, who cares, isn't it pretty much in every movie in one way or another?

I felt the same way. I really only went to appease all the people telling me to go. Having had a few days to reflect on it, I'm not sure it was spectacular in terms of storyline, characters, acting, etc., but I will tell you I think I stared in awe at that screen for the entire film. Not just a worth-seeing, I'd call it a must see.

9/10
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby phillyphan12 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:27 pm

saw 2 films in the past couple days that have been reccently discussed on this forum...

The Royal Tenenbaums- 7.5/10 I enjoyed it, vastly different from most of the comedies I`ve ever seen, but it was refreshing.

Shutter Island- 8.5/10 This movie really has you thinking throughout its entierty, trying to figure out what EXACTLY is going on. I guessed the "Twist" less than 10 minutes into the film, but I wouldn`t call it predictable because I found myself second guessing myself at times during the viewing. All in all, it is a great success as a Psychological thriller. If you enjoy those types of films, then go out and see this.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Rushmore is my favorite movie of all time and I love Tennenbaums and Life Aquatic as well. But, he is a director where he uses the same style and characters every movie. If he pumped out movies every year that might not be a good thing, but he doesn't so I don't mind. You know what you're getting with a Wes Anderson movie and that's a good thing IMO. I wouldn't mind seeing him make something that doesn't have his signature all over it, but I wouldn't want to see him abandon it altogether. That's my problem with Tarantino, his early movies were so amazing and now he keeps making these homages to different genres. Cool, but not the reason everybody came to love Tarantino... we all want to see him make his own original movie again even if being original means borrowing from Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 am

I also watched The Royal Tenenbaums after seeing the discussion here. I'd give it a 7/10. The more I think back on it the more I like it, even though my immediate reaction wasn't that great.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Primer- 8/10: Wow. Very interesting movie. Confusing at times, but interesting. Quick summary: engineers accidentally build a time machine and try to change the world for the better, but do not fully understand what they are doing (or maybe have done? or maybe will?).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk