100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:34 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Enter the Dragon 3/10
I had fond memories of this movie but I saw it again last night and it really is not a good movie. The bad guys are horrible and the faces that Bruce pulls when he is fighting are really very funny. Ultra low budget. I wish that I hadn't watched it again and ruined the good memories that I had of it.

I really liked Enter the Dragon as well. Most kung fu films don't tell the best story, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. Fist of Fury (The Chinese Connection) was Bruce Lee's best film, IMO, and Fist of Legend starring Jet Li was a worthy remake (and in some ways it was better, as it did away with the over-the-top Chinese/Japanese prejudice).

I loved Tony Jaa in Ong-Bak. I just came back from the video store and saw Ong-Bak 2 on the shelf. Anyone seen it yet? I think that this is my next rental.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I just came back from the video store...

What's that? Canada's version of Netflix?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:05 pm

jfg wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I just came back from the video store...

What's that? Canada's version of Netflix?

I've never used netflix and I think that I've rented one dvd over the past 2 years since we usually do ppv. But we do browse the Blockbuster and pick up chips and pokemon cards there.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:20 pm

I still go to the video store. I would use Netflix for Asian titles, but they're still limited.

As far as Ong Bak goes, I haven't seen the sequel but I also liked the first film. Speaking of sequels, I wonder if Kung Fu Hustle 2 is out. It's supposed to be released this year and I absolutely loved Kung Fu Hustle, one of the few films that still feels fresh with each viewing.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby RugbyD » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Enter the Dragon 3/10
I had fond memories of this movie but I saw it again last night and it really is not a good movie. The bad guys are horrible and the faces that Bruce pulls when he is fighting are really very funny. Ultra low budget. I wish that I hadn't watched it again and ruined the good memories that I had of it.

I really liked Enter the Dragon as well. Most kung fu films don't tell the best story, but I still enjoy it nonetheless. Fist of Fury (The Chinese Connection) was Bruce Lee's best film, IMO, and Fist of Legend starring Jet Li was a worthy remake (and in some ways it was better, as it did away with the over-the-top Chinese/Japanese prejudice).

I think Fist of Legend was better in just about every way, as in 8/10 for Fist and 5/10 for CC. Part of it may be the difference in film-making between eras, but also the background fighting in Chinese Connection was so pathetic. It like the random guys in the distance in Braveheart swordfighting as if they were on a 2nd grade stage. I also felt like I got a better story from FoL and better character development.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:03 am

Das Boot 9/10

Submarine drama doesn't get more realistic than this. probably the saddest ending ever. Its five hours so have extra popcorn reserves. A German U-boat crew takes you through an ultra-realistic flick with superb acting, directing and casting. People throw the word epic around like a frisbee these days but this is truly epic.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Surrogates: Thought it was OK. I really don't know what to say about it, I didn't hate it, but it wasn't all that great either. Entertaining throughout I guess, I was never bored. Hmm....not much to say I guess.

Zombieland: Finally watched it last night, I'm a huge zombie film fan so I was really looking forward to it. Anyway I really liked it. Had an Americanized Shaun of the Dead feel to it but still had it's own identity. Woody Harrelson was pretty awesome playing the good-ol-boy zombie killer. Loved the over the top zombie gore and zombie kills. I swear that the guy that played Columbus, Jesse Eisenberg, and Michael Cera are clones of each other. Loved the brief scenes with Bill Murry, that was great. Oh and the girl that played Wichita, Emma Stone, is really cute in it. I see they're already working on a sequel.

The Hurt Locker: I liked it. Interesting take on war movies, not a lot of over the top battle, or shoot out scenes...in fact none, I think there was one firefight scene. Some really cool cinematography. And I really liked that with the subject mater, the Iraq war, it didn't have a political agenda at all...very refreshing in that sense. It was a little slow at times and it seemed a lot longer than it was, also the way it ended was a little off. Kinda seemed like the writer/director got lost on how to end it and just "wrapped it up." Overall pretty good, not sure it was best picture nomination material, but pretty good.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Some people don't get the "rate" part of "Rate the last movie you saw" :*)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Metroid » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Some people don't get the "rate" part of "Rate the last movie you saw" :*)

Yeah I know, I rarely rate them. I really don't like to, either I like them or I don't. I honestly don't see the need to put a number or letter grade on films. I'd rather read a review and whether people liked the film or not. I just ignore the ratings, but that's just me.

If it makes you feel better.

Surrogates: 17 1/2 out of 56

Zombieland: two thumbs up

The Hurt Locker: 4 stars

:-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:05 pm

No Country For Old Men - 7.5/10 - I guess I was expecting a little more action based on what I had heard. It was good, but the lack of dialogue made it drag on during some parts. Javier Bardem was great though.

A Serious Man - 6/10 - Great performance by the lead actor but it was pretty boring at times. Definitely not a serious contender for Best Picture, IMO.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk