Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby thedude » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:33 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I've thought about getting the AH Masterpiece set that I think has like 8 movies, does anyone own that? I've only seen North by Northwest and Vertigo I think.

According to Amazon it has 14 films:

How i'd rate them
Saboteur (1942), 7.5/10 (spy movie)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943), 8.25/10 (murder mystery)
Rope (1948), 8.5/10 (murder mystery-very loosely based on the famous Leopold and Loeb case)
Rear Window (1954), 9/10 (murder mystery-this story has been ripped off several times: suburbia, 'Burbs, ect....The original is best)
The Trouble With Harry (1955), 8.5/10 (murder mystery-this movies is pretty fun)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), 9/10 (Spy movie-One of the classics, a remake a movie Hitchcock made in the 1930s)
Vertigo (1958), 7.5/10
Psycho (1960), 7/10 (thriller)
The Birds (1963), 5/10 (horror thriller)
Marnie (1964), I've never seen this movie
Torn Curtain (1966), I've never seen this movie
Topaz (1969), Saw this a long time ago and don't remember much
Frenzy (1972),9/10 (murder mystery-the British Detective and his wife are freaking hilarious)
Family Plot (1976) 8.5/10 (con-artist movie i think would best describe it-i found this movie rather entertaining)

These are mostly a collect of spy mysteries and murder mysteries (some told from the prospective of the killer, some the killer is known). A pretty good collection.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:22 am

Food Inc documentary about the american food industry...i usually take documentary films with a grain of salt because they usually are pushing an agenda as well...this one seems to be more informative than inflamatory

anyway i expected to see the poor conditions in which factory farm animals are kept but it went on to explain why things are the way they are and it was interesting to see how deep the government/"big food" company ties go
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:24 pm

I went out Friday night and got a little tipsy, nothing pressing to study for since I had two big tests last week. Anyway I was hungover yesterday so I stayed on the couch and watched a few movies. :*)

Public Enemies: I really liked it. I've always been fascinated with the mobsters of that era, It's really strange how they became like movie stars. Anyway I loved how it was shot, some of the scenes were just fantastic. The use of light and color, with angles, and sound(or lack there of sometimes) was well thought out. [minor spoilers ahead] I really loved the shot in the opening scene after Dillinger busts his cronies out of prison, the one where one of the guys get shot in the back and Dillinger is holding his hand as the car pulls away and everything seems to go silent as the guy slowly slips away. Also when Baby Face is shot and you can see his last breath, good stuff there. It was a little slow at times but overall I was never bored and very entertained.

District 9: One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. Overall it was just bad, some of the CG was cool but the acting was just not good. Some of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. It's unfortunate because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.

500 Days of Summer: Yeah yeah, it's pretty much a chick flick. If you want to watch movies like the two above with your girl you have to watch ones like this as well. Overall it was good though. It was kinda quirky and had enough comic relief to make me laugh. It really didn't end like I thought it would, not your typical "love story" ending. I will say the guy was a wussy and I wanted to smack him around most of the film. But again it was pretty good, if you have to watch a chick flick this isn't a bad one to watch.

Gonna watch Surrogates today. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:08 pm

Metroid wrote:District 9: One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. Overall it was just bad, some of the CG was cool but the acting was just not good. Some of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. It's unfortunate because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.

finally someone on this forum agrees with me on a movie. preach on brother.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:33 pm

Cool Hand Luke

Wow, I can't believe I watched the whole thing. First of all, I assumed this guy would be "Cool" B-) as the title lead me to believe. Second, the title also had me thinking Paul Newman was a gunfighter... like he was quick on the draw or something. Nope. In fact, the main character is anything BUT cool. He is just a nothing - worthless. I felt absolutely nothing for him except that the world would probably be a better place without him. About 45 mins to an hour into the movie I started looking at the time wondering when they were going to start getting into the movie. Were they still introducing and developing characters? Is there an antagonist? Is this a prison camp or summer camp?

Very surprised this movie is so highly regarded. Only redeeming qualities I found were the non-speaking antagonist, relationship/scene with his mother, and if this movie is accurate, the depiction of prison camps is interesting. I never knew they existed.

Saving Private Ryan

I've been holding off on this movie for a long, long time because I had heard it was so solemn. Just watched it for the first time yesterday. It was good and everything, but now I just feel awful :-/ Not exactly a movie where you go out and have ice cream afterward.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Metroid wrote:District 9: One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. Overall it was just bad, some of the CG was cool but the acting was just not good. Some of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. It's unfortunate because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.

finally someone on this forum agrees with me on a movie. preach on brother.

Yeah it was not good. I mean some of the CG made up for the films shortcomings, but only a little. Most of the dialog was just cheesy, and the idea that these obviously stronger, faster, more agile aliens would be subservient to a tribal gang slinging cat food was silly. Especially since the aliens possessed weaponry that could easily decimate them. I get that they were supposed to be "worker bees" and not very bright, but even idiots know how to defend themselves and fight back.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Cool Hand Luke

Very surprised this movie is so highly regarded. Only redeeming qualities I found were the non-speaking antagonist, relationship/scene with his mother, and if this movie is accurate, the depiction of prison camps is interesting. I never knew they existed.

What we have here, is a failure to appreciate. ;-D
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jfg » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:11 pm

I didn't like District 9 that much either. I respect that they tried to do something new with a cliched genre but most of the time it wasn't that compelling.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:13 pm

jfg wrote:I didn't like District 9 that much either. I respect that they tried to do something new with a cliched genre but most of the time it wasn't that compelling.

Totally agree. I really wanted to like the movie too. When I first heard about it I was very interested, then I saw the trailer and was a little turned off, still I was intrigued enough to give it a go. It was a fresh idea that could have been a home run but they totally whiffed.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Art Vandelay » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:14 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Sticky Spice wrote:Cool Hand Luke

What we have here, is a failure to appreciate.

Ha. Definitely. Cool Hand Luke is one of a very small handful of movies I actually own. Great film.

I saw The Invention of Lying yesterday. Not worth the $5 or the 1 1/2 of my time. It had a couple of chuckle-worthy parts, but even most of them were obvious and predictable. A good concept with poor execution. 5/10.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk