Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:UP despite a good amount of hijinks i didnt think the story was all that exciting. i'm not dismissing it as a kids movie and visually it looked great, i just dont see what all the fuss was about
7/10

i agree... it wasn't anything special, and it certainly fell below the bar Pixar has set for themselves.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jfg » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't get it, I thought Up was the first Pixar movie that had a great story. Maybe it's because I don't have kids so I'm just viewing the movies as an adult. Finding Nemo was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It's a weak story that resorts to loud noises and bright colors to keep kids glued in front of the TV.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 84)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:41 pm

jfg wrote:I don't get it, I thought Up was the first Pixar movie that had a great story. Maybe it's because I don't have kids so I'm just viewing the movies as an adult. Finding Nemo was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It's a weak story that resorts to loud noises and bright colors to keep kids glued in front of the TV.

I disagree with every word you wrote.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't get it, I thought Up was the first Pixar movie that had a great story. Maybe it's because I don't have kids so I'm just viewing the movies as an adult. Finding Nemo was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It's a weak story that resorts to loud noises and bright colors to keep kids glued in front of the TV.

I disagree with every word you wrote.


Me too. :-)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 387)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Metroid » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:10 am

J35J wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't get it, I thought Up was the first Pixar movie that had a great story. Maybe it's because I don't have kids so I'm just viewing the movies as an adult. Finding Nemo was one of the worst movies I've ever watched. It's a weak story that resorts to loud noises and bright colors to keep kids glued in front of the TV.

I disagree with every word you wrote.


Me too. :-)

Me three
Image
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFootball Mod
Posts: 5207
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living vicariously through myself.

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
J35J wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:I disagree with every word you wrote.


Me too. :-)

Me three

Me four. (I also don't have kids.)
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3200
Joined: 24 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Los Angeles. U Jelly?

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Daybreakers being released this week. Looks really good.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:33 pm

urbanbreez wrote:
Metroid wrote:
J35J wrote:
Me too. :-)

Me three

Me four. (I also don't have kids.)

+5 Finding Nemo wasn't my favorite Pixar film but they all have had really nice stories. More so than 90% of the other movies out there.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21623
(Past Year: 384)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:46 pm

The reason they all have good stories is because they aren't at all original (at least the ones I've seen, which certainly isn't the entire Pixar catalog). They are essentially all new twists on centuries-old stories that have proven to be popular and have stood the test of time. I could probably think of a dozen movies/books/stories just off the top of my head where a child is separated from his guardian, go through trials and travails, enlists the help of kind strangers, has some adventures, learns some life lessons, then eventually gets ruinited with whoever he was separated from in the first place. Joseph Campbell could probably name a thousand. That's not to say it wasn't good. It was a new take on Campbell's monomyth, pretty much a step-by-step re-write of the Hero's Journey.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby j24jags » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Brothers - 9/10 - Hard to describe. Powerful is one word that comes to mind.

Agreed very underrated, I'm glad Tobey was nominated for Best Actor for the Golden Globes. I saw Brothers and Up in the Air. I know the media loves George Clooney, but IMO Tobey's performance in Brothers blows Clooney' out of the water.
Image
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10340
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Oct. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Detroit at Baltimore
(5:37 pm)
Kansas City at LA Angels
(9:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact