Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:22 am

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk here, but it's like you didn't watch the movie, jfg. If you didn't like it because it didn't suit your taste, that's fine. However, I think your questions were answered in the movie, and I didn't feel like they were laid out in some subtle manner, either.

Spoiler font:
She wasn't haunted. It kept pictures of her. It stared at her during her sleep. It called her name from time to time. She wasn't haunted. She was wanted. It was obsessed with her. Who knows why it wanted her, and who cares. What matters is that it wanted her, and it didn't want anyone else to have her. It was like a stalker, which is way more frightening than a haunting. After all, who cares why a guy is stalking a girl. What's scary is that we all know the lengths stalkers will go to have what they want.

I don't think the demon possessed her for the first time that last night. The demon had been possessing her throughout her life probably. After all, it possessed her a couple times during the movie. It obviously could do what it wanted with her. I think it was content to just have her to itself, but boyfriend provoked it so greatly that it finally took matters into its own hands. At that point, it's a logical step that the demon wouldn't leave her be. Once it completely took over her, I'm sure there was no turning back after that.

As for the childhood fire, why do you think it needed to possess her in order to catch her first house on fire? The demon displayed the ability to set fire to their home without anyone around when it caught the Jouji board on fire. I'd say, based on everything that was laid out in this movie, that it was probably trying to kill her family with the first fire. Like I said, the movie made it abundantly clear that this demon wanted her and no one else could have her.

I thought the ending was pretty frightening because I saw it coming halfway through the movie and kept hoping it wouldn't happen. It was the build up to the inevitability that made the ending scary for me.

Personally, I thought the only part of the movie that was goofy was that the demon didn't care if it was being recorded.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:01 am

You know how I know you're gay?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby JTWood » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 am

bigh0rt wrote:You know how I know you're gay?

I'm gonna guess: Your immense amount of experience in the area.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby wake » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:37 pm

jfg wrote:It just wasn't a scary ending at all and it never offered a good reason why she was be haunted other than a website.

Spoiler: It was around her whole life and the demon decides to possess her then? I just wish there was a little more explanation because the whole movie asks what is happening and why, but it never comes up with an answer .. instead it just gives you a lame, cop out scare at the end. I admit it was creepy at moments, but the story left me cold especially the resolution.

There were two different endings to the movie depending on what you saw- a theatrical ending and an original ending.

Ending Spoilers-

In one ending, the girl rocked beside her bed for an entire day after killing her boyfriend until the police showed up and shot her.

In the other ending, you don't see or hear anything after her boyfriend is killed downstairs for about 40 seconds until you see his body come flying through the doorway into the camera. Then the girl comes walking in, gets on her hands and knees and looks sidweways at the knocked over camera. After that, some ending text comes up that says she was never seen again.

End of Spoilers

What I did like about the movie though was that it didn't try to explain everything about what was happening. It made it seem more real to just have this unexplained haunting happening rather than having the girl go to the library to find her great grandmother had been doing human sacrifices or something along those lines.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:02 pm

wake wrote:
jfg wrote:It just wasn't a scary ending at all and it never offered a good reason why she was be haunted other than a website.

Spoiler: It was around her whole life and the demon decides to possess her then? I just wish there was a little more explanation because the whole movie asks what is happening and why, but it never comes up with an answer .. instead it just gives you a lame, cop out scare at the end. I admit it was creepy at moments, but the story left me cold especially the resolution.

There were two different endings to the movie depending on what you saw- a theatrical ending and an original ending.

Ending Spoilers-

In one ending, the girl rocked beside her bed for an entire day after killing her boyfriend until the police showed up and shot her.

In the other ending, you don't see or hear anything after her boyfriend is killed downstairs for about 40 seconds until you see his body come flying through the doorway into the camera. Then the girl comes walking in, gets on her hands and knees and looks sidweways at the knocked over camera. After that, some ending text comes up that says she was never seen again.

End of Spoilers

What I did like about the movie though was that it didn't try to explain everything about what was happening. It made it seem more real to just have this unexplained haunting happening rather than having the girl go to the library to find her great grandmother had been doing human sacrifices or something along those lines.

are you sure about the first ending? i just saw the DVD and the theatrical ending was the 2nd one you described but the alternate she kills him downstairs and then comes upstairs and slits her own throat in front of the camera
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby wake » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
wake wrote:

Ending Spoilers-

End of Spoilers

are you sure about the first ending? i just saw the DVD and the theatrical ending was the 2nd one you described but the alternate she kills him downstairs and then comes upstairs and slits her own throat in front of the camera

There must be more than 2 endings then. I agree though, that's the worst sounding ending out of any of them.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:09 pm

If Lambskin's ending (which I thought I read was only shown on one showing) was one they were considering, that puts a kibbosh on JTs theory, doesn't it? If it wanted her why would it kill her?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:23 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:If Lambskin's ending (which I thought I read was only shown on one showing) was one they were considering, that puts a kibbosh on JTs theory, doesn't it? If it wanted her why would it kill her?

It still works. Remember the web site they read and how that ended?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 am

UP despite a good amount of hijinks i didnt think the story was all that exciting. i'm not dismissing it as a kids movie and visually it looked great, i just dont see what all the fuss was about
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 pm

Saw two movies in the last week, which is almost a year's worth of movies in the theater for me.

Princess and the Frog - 7/10 My seven-year-old loved this movie. As an adult it was tolerable, and even had a couple of quirks to the plot that I didn't expect, which was nice. Disney tends to be a by-the-numbers producer of movies for their young audience, and the fact that I didn't predict every plot twist was nice. If you have to take your kids to a Disney movie, you won't be completely bored with this (although I did fall asleep for a few minutes towards the middle).

Sherlock Holmes - 7/10 I don't know why Holmes turned into an action hero in this movie, but it definitely seemed odd. It was a decent popcorn flick but it had some flaws. For one, the atmosphere of Victorian England should have been played up more. I wanted more scenic ambiance than I got, which is too bad in a CG age where such things aren't difficult. RDJ was good as a drugged-up sot of a Holmes, and Watson was played admirably by Jude Law. I would have rated it higher if it hadn't been so Hollywood-ified. Holmes wasn't a swashbuckling action hero, he was a cerebral man with the ability to dust it up if necessary. Spoiler below.

SPOILER - I wish Moriarty was more of a factor in this movie. Moriarty was introduced and set up as the antagonist in (I presume) the next film, but was not really a part of this movie. Minor gripe.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk