Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Paranormal Activity meh...i was expecting better...the dude was real annoying but the chick had some nice jubblies so that helped keep me interested during the non scary parts. needed more hijinks. ending was kind of lame
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:20 pm

I just watched Paranormal Activity last night as well, and I would rate it lower than that. It was awful and not one bit scary with a super lame ending. How did this get good reviews?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby StlSluggers » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:43 pm

jfg wrote:I just watched Paranormal Activity last night as well, and I would rate it lower than that. It was awful and not one bit scary with a super lame ending. How did this get good reviews?

Before I answer that, why'd you think it was "super lame?"
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 pm

ayebatter wrote:The Great Match: 9/10 ;-D

This movie shows you the passion of the World Cup, I never realized the depth of soccer fandom.

There's a film called "The Game of Their Lives", a documentary of the North Korean soccer team playing in the 1966 World Cup. It's more social/political than it is about soccer, but it's an interesting look into a people we otherwise wouldn't know much about.

There's another film called Fever Pitch that's worth looking into. It sounds familiar because it's the title of a movie about a fanatical Red Sox fan and its effects on his relationship with his significant other. That film is actually a remake of a previous film of the same name, which is a romantic comedy of an obsessive Arsenal fan and his relationship with his main squeeze, hinging on how Arsenal do. The movie is rubbish, but it gives you an idea of how mental the die-hard soccer fans are (and really that's scratching the surface). However, Fever Pitch, the book, from which that film is derived from, is a fantastic read. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:19 pm

jfg wrote:I just watched Paranormal Activity last night as well, and I would rate it lower than that. It was awful and not one bit scary with a super lame ending. How did this get good reviews?

What's scary depends on the person, I think. I take it that those who didn't find Blair Witch that scary, probably won't find Paranormal Activity to be all that frightening either. Some people just react to varying storytelling devices of horror differently; it's just a matter of the director trying to get everyone on the same wavelength.

That said, I haven't seen Paranormal Activity and probably guessing. I'm not much for films that scare the bejeezus out of me anyway. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Brothers - 9/10 - Hard to describe. Powerful is one word that comes to mind.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:43 pm

Every person I've talked to that watched the movie pre-major hype in the theater thought it was scary. Every person I've talked to that has seen it in the last month or so had the same reaction as Dan and jfg.

I think the problem with a movie like that is that it gained so much initial hype that people were really expecting to be scared silly. It's like getting your first shot; you daydream that the needle is going to break inside your arm and all hell is going to break loose but once it goes in and out you wonder why you were so scared in the first place. High expectations after the hype built up were sure to let a lot of people down.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jfg » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:04 am

It just wasn't a scary ending at all and it never offered a good reason why she was be haunted other than a website.

Spoiler: It was around her whole life and the demon decides to possess her then? I just wish there was a little more explanation because the whole movie asks what is happening and why, but it never comes up with an answer .. instead it just gives you a lame, cop out scare at the end. I admit it was creepy at moments, but the story left me cold especially the resolution.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby StlSluggers » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:07 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:Every person I've talked to that watched the movie pre-major hype in the theater thought it was scary. Every person I've talked to that has seen it in the last month or so had the same reaction as Dan and jfg.

I think the problem with a movie like that is that it gained so much initial hype that people were really expecting to be scared silly. It's like getting your first shot; you daydream that the needle is going to break inside your arm and all hell is going to break loose but once it goes in and out you wonder why you were so scared in the first place. High expectations after the hype built up were sure to let a lot of people down.

JTWood on Wed Dec 30, 2009 at 11:19 am wrote: Paranormal Activity scared the living daylights out of me.

And I even told a co-worker that I was going to see it despite the fact that I'd heard mostly bad things about it.

I think it's exactly what AD said. Dan said he wanted more hijinks. The script was purposely written to build suspense and terror in small, subtle increments, not with "Jason" style gore or fright. It wasn't supposed to be an in-your-face movie. It was supposed to nestle into your head and let you fill in the blanks in the most terrifying manner that you could imagine. As AD said, if you thought Blair Witch was good at building a feeling of dread, then you will get good and scared by Paranormal Activity.

But if you're looking for Saw VII, this movie will bore you to tears. Personally, I think movies like Saw, Halloween, & Nightmare on Elm Street are boring and trite. Movies like The Ring keep me from falling asleep later that night, because I can scare myself way better than anything a Hollywood director and make-up artist can conjure up.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:09 am

jfg wrote:It just wasn't a scary ending at all and it never offered a good reason why she was be haunted other than a website.

Spoiler: It was around her whole life and the demon decides to possess her then? I just wish there was a little more explanation because the whole movie asks what is happening and why, but it never comes up with an answer .. instead it just gives you a lame, cop out scare at the end. I admit it was creepy at moments, but the story left me cold especially the resolution.

More spoiler: I am guessing the demon had been possessing her when her other house burned down etc.....I think the situation just escalated because she finally sought legitimate help and her boyfriend was the one most dedicated to getting rid of it. Obviously said demon was having none of that.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk