Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Anybody care to explain the appeal of Blade Runner to me? I enjoyed it as well, but not nearly enough as other people I know did.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby JTWood » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:19 pm

Avatar was alright; great visuals with a run-of-the-mill plot (someone said it's the same plot as district 9, and i'm inclined to agree).

Paranormal Activity scared the living daylights out of me.

Paper Heart was a cute, light-hearted flick. Had a Napoleon Dynamite feel...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Is Paper Heart in theaters? or on DVD? :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 pm

JTWood wrote:Avatar was alright; great visuals with a run-of-the-mill plot (someone said it's the same plot as district 9, and i'm inclined to agree).

Paranormal Activity scared the living daylights out of me.

Paper Heart was a cute, light-hearted flick. Had a Napoleon Dynamite feel...

Just curious, did you see Avatar in 3D with Imax? It totally made up for the thinly disguised Iraq war references and unoriginal plot. IMO, it was one of the best movie-going experiences ever despite its short-comings. I could see how it could be bad without the 3D Imax experience to go along with it tho.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Paper Heart is out on DVD.

I saw Avatar in 3D but not on IMAX, and I didn't think the pro-planet, anti-war rhetoric was thinly disguised. I don't care if you have a political/social agenda, just don't shove it down my throat (see 28 Days Later as a great example of how to convey social commentary without ruining a movie at the same time).
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:15 pm

StlSluggers wrote: I don't care if you have a political/social agenda, just don't shove it down my throat

I think Hollywood (or the entire film community for that matter) takes it upon itself to build movies like this up in order to make their collective views known to the rest of the world. District 9 wasn't any better at hiding its political motives. They know there are people who choose not to formulate their own views and prey upon them.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:43 pm

Avatar 3D (no IMAX :,-( ) easily the most visually stunning movie i've ever seen and with the 3D made for one of the most exciting times i've had at the movies...sure the plot was meh, but there were plenty of hijinks to make up for it.

a few comments
1) was i the only one who thought Sigourney Weavers avatar looked hot in that skimpy Stanford shirt
2) do they "hook up" by hooking their ponytails together?

9/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:49 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
StlSluggers wrote: I don't care if you have a political/social agenda, just don't shove it down my throat

I think Hollywood (or the entire film community for that matter) takes it upon itself to build movies like this up in order to make their collective views known to the rest of the world. District 9 wasn't any better at hiding its political motives. They know there are people who choose not to formulate their own views and prey upon them.

I wasn't really bothered by District 9. There's a social/political connection to be had in the backdrop of Apartheid, but didn't feel like it was pressing an agenda. I wasn't disgusted by Avatar's message, also, but being in the IMAX experience made me overlook that.

Mookie4ever wrote:There are 5 Monty Python movies. Hollywood Bowl is concert movie and And Now for Something Completely Different is a sketch movie but they were both theatre releases and Hollywood Bowl is as much of a classic as the others. If you are a Python fan you've got to watch the 2 part documentary Python:Almost the Truth (the lawyer's cut). It's a must see.

Ah yes, forgot about And Now For Something Completely Different as that's in my library as well. The Hollywood Bowl one, I've also seen, but haven't seen the documentary. I'll need to check up on that soon.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Avatar 3D - 8.5/10 Pretty much what everyone else says....great visuals, predictable plot

District 9 - 6.5/10 Eh, is was just ok, not what I expected it to be.

Hangover - 8/10 Not great, but good
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby J35J » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Carriers - 8/10 I actually enjoy these types of movies, and books(The Road, Swan Song, The Stand, etc), and this one was better than I thought it would be.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk