Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Inglorious Basterds good film overall as far as acting and directing (Brad Pitt excluded) but just not as memorable as Quentins other films (Death Proof excluded)
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 pm

Four Christmases - i told my wife i expected a plot written by monkeys farting on typewriters...as usual i was right. one or two chuckleworthy moments, and lots of hijinks ensued, but still pretty much suck. seems like towards the end they just got sick of writing or maybe had budget issues or were worried Vince Vaughn would get so fat people would think they changed actors for the last act
5/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:01 pm

Totally agree with you on Four Christmases, that movie was garbage.

I disagree on Inglorious Basterds, I liked it but it was a 7 at best...even lower when you measure it up against Quinton's other films. I liked it but I was also greatly disappointed, when I heard the subject matter for the film when it was in the works I was very excited. He could have done soooo much more. Too bad really. Hopefully he'll redeem himself with Kill Bill vol. 3.

I also disagree on Death Proof, I loved that movie.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:13 pm

Avatar- 5/10. For a movie that cost so much and is supposed to be something different, this movie fails. It is VERY Predictable. I mean not only is the end predictable, but the battle scenes and character decisions are all extremely obvious. Usually films which you see for the first time are made exciting by some surprises. This film is literally predictable Hollywood cliché after preditable Hollywood cliché. It is obvious from the first hour of the movie who is going to do what, who will die and live, how the hero is going to save the day, and how the evil villian is going to attack. The only difference between this film and dozens of other action films is that it is set on a blue world full of cat smurfs who can plug their hair into horses and trees. It will make money, but the script is basically a bunch of 1960s-90s action films plots stolen and then cobbled together.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:23 pm

If you went to see Avatar expecting anything other than a visual orgasm you were expecting way too much.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Metroid wrote:Totally agree with you on Four Christmases, that movie was garbage.

I disagree on Inglorious Basterds, I liked it but it was a 7 at best...even lower when you measure it up against Quinton's other films. I liked it but I was also greatly disappointed, when I heard the subject matter for the film when it was in the works I was very excited. He could have done soooo much more. Too bad really. Hopefully he'll redeem himself with Kill Bill vol. 3.

the worst part is the only reason i rented Xmases was because i had a $5 giftcard and asked the wife to decide between that and Paranormal Activity...turns out the giftcard had $0 left on it...i just said F it and got it anyway

Death Proof was OK, i just cant put it in the same class as Reservior Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and the Kill Bills...i also liked Planet Terror better
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:23 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:Totally agree with you on Four Christmases, that movie was garbage.

the worst part is the only reason i rented Xmases was because i had a $5 giftcard and asked the wife to decide between that and Paranormal Activity...turns out the giftcard had $0 left on it...i just said F it and got it anyway

Death Proof was OK, i just cant put it in the same class as Reservior Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and the Kill Bills...i also liked Planet Terror better

Death Proof was a different kind of movie than those others, I really liked it. I liked Planet Terror better too, I'll watch it probably once a month. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:44 am

I recently saw Inglourious Basterds and thought it was great (8/10). It could've been better by giving the Basterds more screen time and could have had more over-the-top action, but the dialogue and acting were top notch. For a 2 1/2 hr. movie that's driven intensively by dialogue, it went by like a breeze. Off the top of my head, only Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are better than Basterds. Tarantino is still a master of taking rather old ideas and piecing them together into new ones.

I've been using my generous holiday break catching up on movies, old and new. So, here I go:

Valkyrie - 6/10. I didn't know the full story about the July 20 plot, but for the most part, this film seemed like a faithful portrayal of the last assassination plot on Hitler. That said, it wasn't as thrilling as I would have hoped and I thought it could have been developed better. I'm sure Stauffenberg was an insightful and interesting fellow, but Tom Cruise is robotic, for lack of a better term, in playing to character. It was a safe film in its accuracy, but should've had more substance.

Monty Python's Life of Brian - 10/10. It's something of a personal Christmas tradition to watch Life of Brian. I've probably stated that this is one of, if not, the greatest comedies of all time and I don't think I need to go further into review here.

Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - 8/10. Of the three Python films, this was more of an acquired taste to like this film, let alone to put it on the level of Life of Brian or The Holy Grail. It still has its brilliant laugh-out-loud moments and is a worthy addition here.

District 9 - 8.5/10. One of the better sci-fi films to come out in recent memory (alright, that and JJ Abrams' Star Trek). Unlike what a number of critics have put down in their reviews of this film, I thought the action scenes were fantastic and accentuated the film well. I suppose they were expecting more out of this than the Summer blockbuster route of exploding things and shooting them up, but it's still better than the average Summer blockbuster by a good bit. A fun night's entertainment, even if it was meant to be held as something of a political statement film.

North By Northwest - 9/10. My favorite Alfred Hitchcock film. It's not quite his best, but it's also his easiest film to dive into. The film has a brisk, quirky flow about it but still manages to be as suspenseful as it is playful and over the top. It's a complex, otherwise well-presented cat-and-mouse adventure. BTW, the transfer on the Blu-Ray for NBN is fantastic, as expected.

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance - 8.5/10. It's unlike me to play a rather morbid, depressing movie like this on the Holidays, but when you have a loudmouth cousin who brags about having a strong stomach for any kind of gory film, that's asking for trouble. Unfortunately for him and my other cousins there, I have a deep library of gorefest movies. I thought of showing this one when I remembered suggesting it to someone on the Lightside when he reviewed Oldboy, another film directed by Chan-Wook Park, on their movies thread.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is a Korean film, part of Chan-Wook Park's Vengeance Trilogy (Oldboy and Lady Vengeance are the others), and the long and short of it is it's a Korean take on a Shakespearean tragedy. There's absolutely no redeeming value, as it's all about folks with good intentions doing horrible things in the end, which lead to their downfalls. For my personal taste, it's not ultraviolent, but it's not for the squeamish either because it is quite gruesome. However, I'll say the violence is one, restrained and two, it serves as a purpose to develop the main characters and story well. I assure you that you'll walk away from this film disturbed by a good deal.

Ichi The Killer - 8/10. As if that's not gory enough, Ichi The Killer is a bloodbath. Let's say it makes Hostel seem like a kickabout at Disneyland. In fact, odds enough, the trailer might be enough to make you puke if you're squeamish. Anyhow, this is one of my favorite over-the-top gorefests with a Yakuza backdrop. I don't find this movie to be that sickening because the violence is rather ridiculous and things like the odd music assignment to the scenes, are worth a chuckle. Beyond the gore, it actually has a pretty good story albeit a bit perplexing.

Audition - 8.5/10. This is a horror film directed by Takashi Miike (the same lad who directed Ichi) and while it's not like the conventional horror film, it's a reasonable story that's well built up. Not as violent as Ichi, but more emotionally disturbing than Ichi.

Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut - 9/10. I got this as a Christmas present and a rather thoughtful one at that. Basically, this is the Director's Cut interspersed with scenes from the Tales of the Black Freighter animation. The director's cut is good enough if you're not a Watchmen fan, but really, the reward is the motion comic.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - 10/10. This is Blade Runner without the Harrison Ford voiceover and a few scene modifications and it's bloody brilliant. The original cut of BR is great in its own right, but this is a classic. I also have the Workprint on this 5-disc Blu-Ray. I've yet to see that, but I'm looking forward to it. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:26 am

Inglorious Basterds - 7.5/10

It was alright, and the bad guy was pretty good.
I was looking at my watch a little bit though - did we really have to see people play celebrity heads for half an hour?
Don't really think I'd watch it again, but I was mildly entertained.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:51 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - 8/10. Of the three Python films, this was more of an acquired taste to like this film, let alone to put it on the level of Life of Brian or The Holy Grail. It still has its brilliant laugh-out-loud moments and is a worthy addition here.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - 10/10. This is Blade Runner without the Harrison Ford voiceover and a few scene modifications and it's bloody brilliant. The original cut of BR is great in its own right, but this is a classic. I also have the Workprint on this 5-disc Blu-Ray. I've yet to see that, but I'm looking forward to it. ;-D

Agree 100% on Blade Runner.

There are 5 Monty Python movies. Hollywood Bowl is concert movie and And Now for Something Completely Different is a sketch movie but they were both theatre releases and Hollywood Bowl is as much of a classic as the others. If you are a Python fan you've got to watch the 2 part documentary Python:Almost the Truth (the lawyer's cut). It's a must see.

The Hangover 8/10

Saw it last night, not even drunk and it was fun.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk