100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Phantom Punch 5.5/10

A movie about Sonny Liston's life.
They could have done so much better with this.
Ving Rhames as Liston was an excellent choice, and the teacher from Billy Madison is still hot (reeeoooww) but that's about it.
Felt really cheap, and they completely ignored the build up to the first Ali-Liston fight, which would have been great to watch. :-C
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:46 am

Iron Man - 7.5/10

Pretty good for a mindless pew pew pew-fest.
Gwyneth Paltrow = not a love interest :-P .
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:51 am

Star Trek (the JJ Abrhams one) pretty good, i'm not a big Trek fan, but story was pretty good and good effects
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Julie & Julia - 7/10
Pretty good. I really like cooking so that probably helps from a guy's viewing perspective. Meryl Streep does an Oscar-worthy (supporting) job as Julia Child. Probably won't watch again on my own, but was definitely worth viewing.

Whatever Works - 6/10
Starring Larry David, written and directed by Woody Allen. Seemed like the perfect matchup with Larry playing a more extreme version of his misanthropic self from Curb. Lots of very funny dialogue, but the characters are forced into situations so that the dialogue can be put on screen. Doesn't hold up in total.

Frost/Nixon - 8/10
Very well-acted, tho Frank Langella's voice is a bit over-grumbled. Does a very good job of showing Nixon as a crook and as a sympathetic character. I gave my Canadian gf the Watergate background and she came out of the movie feeling really bad for Nixon. Interesting for a movie done by a very non-sympathetic Hollywood.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby mweir145 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:48 am

I liked Frost/Nixon as well, Sheen and Langella both did good jobs.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Repulsionold, critically acclaimed Roman Polanski thriller starring Catherine Denuve as some sexually repressed chick who lives with her older sister. her sister leaves her alone and she experiences hallucinations. hijnks ensue. it was well directed and the score was really good, but the movie itself was kind of boring. Denuve looked genuinely crazy though
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jfg » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:19 pm

I didn't like Repulsion all that much either.

I saw Inglorious Basterds last night and it was pretty good. A lot of people I know really liked it because it didn't use Tarantino's trademark dialogue, but I kind of missed it. What made the movie was Tim Roth and Brad Pitt... I haven't seen Benjamin Button but as I far as I can remember, Brad Pitt has been excellent in the recent movies I've seen him in. Hans Landa has to be the best villain of any film of recent memory for me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:54 pm

Brüno - had a few funny moments but nowhere near as good as Borat
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Invictus - 6/10. About what I expected, but the only thing different from a cliche underdog sports story and this, was that Invictus lacked urgency and emotion. I remember being on holiday, watching some of the '95 Rugby World Cup Final, and while I didn't expect the film to hold a candle to the universal feel-good feeling of the real-life event itself, I just thought it was flat. Some will find this more inspiring than others and the acting first-rate, but I didn't find it to be quite as inspiring in spite of the decent acting. I also felt kind of indifferent about the rugby scenes, but then again, if I wanted to watch some real rugby, I'll flip the channel to Setanta Sports, thank you very much.

Avatar - 8.5/10. Extra point for seeing it on IMAX 3D. It's as visually stunning as advertised though the IMAX experience kicks it up a notch or two, as it genuinely feels like an escapist film in every sense of the word. The storytelling is decent enough for a big-budget, CGI-intensive film, but the scale and grandeur of which it's told is worth it. I'll need to see it at least twice in the IMAX. A must for my home theater when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

A Bittersweet Life - 7/10. This is a Korean gangster film that came out about 4-5 years ago and it's also one of the infrequent films you'll find from South Korea that has its shoot-em-up scenes (it's tough to buy guns in South Korea and in fact, Japan too). As a John Woo fan like myself, this is right up your alley. It's deeper than your usual crime flick, but it's straightforward enough to follow on face value, in contrast with other artsy Korean films that ooze with twists and symbolic value. There are a couple of particular action scenes where you'd need to suspend your disbelief a bit, but the film as a whole is satisfying enough to overlook those moments.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:07 pm

jfg wrote:Hans Landa has to be the best villain of any film of recent memory for me.

The man loves his strudel.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk