Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm

In Bruges: 8/10- Hilarious if you like dark comedy. It's an original story, you can never really predict where the plot is going, and the ending was great.

Inglourious Basterds: 8/10- Very entertaining. I really loved the characters played by Waltz and Pitt. If I was to rank it among Tarantino's other movies, it would probably be somewhere in the middle (with Kill Bill, but behind Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs).

I have wanted to watch Hayao Miyazaki's anime movies for quite some time now (after hearing and reading great things about them), and I finally got around to doing so in the last few weeks.

Princess Mononoke: 9/10- A true epic in every sense of the word. It's an allegory about man's effect on nature, but it is also so much more than that. It might just be the best animated movie I've ever seen. As someone who has grown up with American animated movies, I was also shocked by how violent this was (it's definitely not a kid's movie). Death is a constant theme throughout, and there are some particularly brutal battle scenes. One thing that can be distracting is that Billy Bob Thornton is the voice of one of the main characters in the English dub, but it isn't weird enough that it detracts anything from the movie. If you like Pixar movies, this is definitely something you should see.

Spirited Away: 8/10- A surreal coming-of-age fantasy tale that also has political/social overtones about greed and over-consumption. The story is about a young girl being separated from her parents, and having to navigate through a world of spirits/monsters to save them. Another must see if you like Pixar.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CadensDad » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Anyone seen "sugar" yet? I got it on the way in the mail from netflix so I'm exctied

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby CadensDad » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Sugar- 5/10 the "baseball" part of the movie was....decent. Their was no "scout" really who found him. Then the story took a turn and just went in a completely different direction. It tried to come back but it couldn't.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm Not There a Bob Dylan "biography"...i like Bob Dylan...this movie, not so much. i guess there were different portrayals of Dylan throughout his life, only none of them were actually Dylan...they were based on him? i dont know, i didnt get it, maybe i'm stupid or maybe only art house weirdo's pretend to understand what was going on to feel smart...or maybe it would have been explained in the 2nd hour if i didnt shut it off
2/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Watched Star Trek last night finally. When to one of the local brew pub theaters here, sipped on some suds, ate pizza, and watched the flick. The only thing that sucks about drinking beer in the theater is the constant bathroom breaks, but it's worth it.

Two words on the film....Bad Ass. B-)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 am

Metroid wrote:Watched Star Trek last night finally. When to one of the local brew pub theaters here, sipped on some suds, ate pizza, and watched the flick. The only thing that sucks about drinking beer in the theater is the constant bathroom breaks, but it's worth it.

Two words on the film....Bad Ass. B-)

don't break the seal!

but ya i enjoyed star trek as well, entertaining movie.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby Metroid » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:02 am

Yeah it was tough...I made it halfway through before I finally had to break the seal....plus I had to refill our pitcher. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:07 am

Metroid wrote:Yeah it was tough...I made it halfway through before I finally had to break the seal....plus I had to refill our pitcher. :-D

could have killed 2 birds with one stone
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yeah it was tough...I made it halfway through before I finally had to break the seal....plus I had to refill our pitcher. :-D

could have killed 2 birds with one stone

lolol
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby jfg » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:I'm Not There a Bob Dylan "biography"...i like Bob Dylan...this movie, not so much. i guess there were different portrayals of Dylan throughout his life, only none of them were actually Dylan...they were based on him? i dont know, i didnt get it, maybe i'm stupid or maybe only art house weirdo's pretend to understand what was going on to feel smart...or maybe it would have been explained in the 2nd hour if i didnt shut it off
2/10

It never says it explicitly, but what it was implying IMO was that Dylan was never really Dylan, we just know him by the characters he's played.

I went and saw Angels and Demons tonight and it was much better than I expected. Da Vinci Code sucked, the pace was way too slow and never captured the excitement of the book but this one was able to recapture at least some of it. It felt like it was more for people who have read the book, leaving out the history and conversation for the most part and staying on top of the suspense. I think it's the best Ron Howard could do with it and I hope he sticks to letting the book handle the little details in the next couple of movies as well.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk