100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:49 pm

JTWood wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
I think the answer here isn't quantity of fluid but rather quantity of time. He stated over and over that it takes 20 years to make it, but they found the necessary amount of fluid in about 3 minutes outside their shanty. Seems to me that time, not fluid, is what's important to making the fuel.

i thought they made a point that it took them 20 years to find that much fluid. they found a little bit of fluid outside their shanty which they then processed and added to fluid they already had which finally gave them enough to operate the module. at least that's how i interpreted it.

Either way, I think we can agree that this, like other plot points, went woeful underexplained.

yet somehow despite everything being underexplained, the movie felt really drawn out. i dont feel like anything really happened in the first half an hour, i was just sitting there bored waiting for some action or something to peak my interest.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:50 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
JTWood wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i thought they made a point that it took them 20 years to find that much fluid. they found a little bit of fluid outside their shanty which they then processed and added to fluid they already had which finally gave them enough to operate the module. at least that's how i interpreted it.

Either way, I think we can agree that this, like other plot points, went woeful underexplained.

yet somehow despite everything being underexplained, the movie felt really drawn out. i dont feel like anything really happened in the first half an hour, i was just sitting there bored waiting for some action or something to peak my interest.

I felt that way for two hours, pretty much.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 am

I find it interesting that there's such a divide between those that loved it and those that didn't. When I go into a movie like that, I try to appreciate it for what it is, rather than nitpick what it's not. I think that's why I wasn't overly concerned with the plot holes (the hidden ship was the biggest one by far, I would agree)...

I can totally understand why some of you weren't all that impressed, though. I think it depends what a person looks for in a good movie. I thought the novelty of the concept, the special effects, and the underlying moral lesson far outweighed the plot holes. I guess that's just me, though...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Yoda » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:37 am

Inukchuk wrote:I thought the novelty of the concept, the special effects, and the underlying moral lesson far outweighed the plot holes.

+1

People enjoy movies for different reasons. I enjoy movies that are original and differ from the regurgitated Hollywood crap.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby crazzycat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 am

"Butterfly effect: Revelation" 3/10
Crazzy about jessica alba wallpaper...
crazzycat
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:I thought the novelty of the concept, the special effects, and the underlying moral lesson far outweighed the plot holes.

+1

People enjoy movies for different reasons. I enjoy movies that are original and differ from the regurgitated Hollywood crap.

It was original yes, but not as much as I thought right after seeing the movie. The movie is an absolutely obvious political allegory. The parallels to apartheid (District 6 (9 is six turned upside down, how clever!) in Cape Town being one of the more famous sites of forced removal during the 50s) have really stuck with me as a turn-off. I wanted to see a sci-fi thriller, and I feel like I was duped. Think about how much action there really was in the movie. Not much. I'm changing my review to a six out of ten.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:58 am

Went and saw the new Harry Potter today in Imax 3D... but only the first 20 minutes used the technology and it wasn't that great. Still, Imax is still good with the big screen and great picture. The movie kind of stunk though, but I thought the book wasn't great either. It seems like filler until the last chapter of the story and just like the book, the one big moment seems way too short and anti-climatic. The one nice thing about the movie is that it's never boring- it didn't feel like 2 1/2 hours but I think if I saw it a second time I'd feel different.

The best part about the movie? Seeing the trailer for The Christmas Carol: 3D. It looks amazing, and I hope the whole film uses the 3D technology. If anybody hasn't seen this in action I highly recommend finding a theater that offers it and check out a matinee or something to lower the cost. It's really spectacular. But, I think it works best with animation or CGI. Harry Potter was fun to watch for the 20 minutes offered but it didn't blow me away like the trailers.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Inukchuk wrote:I find it interesting that there's such a divide between those that loved it and those that didn't. When I go into a movie like that, I try to appreciate it for what it is, rather than nitpick what it's not. I think that's why I wasn't overly concerned with the plot holes (the hidden ship was the biggest one by far, I would agree)...

I can totally understand why some of you weren't all that impressed, though. I think it depends what a person looks for in a good movie. I thought the novelty of the concept, the special effects, and the underlying moral lesson far outweighed the plot holes. I guess that's just me, though...

I have mixed feelings for the movie and could argue both sides quite a bit. My second main plot hole problem with the story was if they could shoot the command center down with missiles once, why didn't they do it a second time when it was being pulled up by the mothership? Seemed relatively easy the first time, no?
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:08 pm

silentjim wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:I find it interesting that there's such a divide between those that loved it and those that didn't. When I go into a movie like that, I try to appreciate it for what it is, rather than nitpick what it's not. I think that's why I wasn't overly concerned with the plot holes (the hidden ship was the biggest one by far, I would agree)...

I have mixed feelings for the movie and could argue both sides quite a bit. My second main plot hole problem with the story was if they could shoot the command center down with missiles once, why didn't they do it a second time when it was being pulled up by the mothership? Seemed relatively easy the first time, no?

Uh they tried to, and the guy caught it in the suit...
Hence one of the main parts in the previews.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby silentjim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
silentjim wrote:

Uh they tried to, and the guy caught it in the suit...
Hence one of the main parts in the previews.

I meant the actual missile silos as opposed to the hand held rocket launcher. Someone else had to be able to say, "Hey, remember those missiles we fired and shot down that ship 10 minutes ago? Well, they ships is moving again, so let's fire some more."
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk