Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:57 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Warning: May contain spoilers

Also, as was mentioned before, the prawns were, for the most part, drones. Their behavior was pretty primitive which is why they could be manipulated by base emotions like fear. Kill one or 2 and everyone else falls in line, I guess.

This is one of the things that annoyed me the most. They're this super advanced alien race with crazy technology but they're portrayed as primitive animals. It's like the director couldn't decide if they were zerg or protoss.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm back from the movie.....and overall I was fairly disappointed. I had been looking forward to this movie for a while. That being said, I had already prepared myself for some level of disappointment, but was still let down.

I actually agree with some of GF's questions about the plot. Especially the fact that there was so much fluid lost when it sprayed on the Wikus's face that it seems impossible they would still be able to start up the ship. Even after he met up with the two prawns and they knew he had ejected some of the fluid, there wasn't even a level of concern that he used up too much to still start the ship. I assumed they would capture the vial, bring it back to the ship and hope that it was enough. It might have built at least a little more tension.

I also can't believe they couldn't find the ship. They have a frickin video of the thing falling from the mothership, yet can't find it even though it was like 10 feet underground? It's not like it fell into a crater or something.

Anybody wonder if Chris was maybe the head prawn the entire time, explaining why his (and his son's) intelligence was so much higher than the average prawn?

I also hated the inferences towards greed and profit in the movie. The guy's father-in-law throws him away like he's nothing without even a second thought? It's his daughter's husband lol. At least show a little bit of concern. I understand the decision he made (given the premise of the movie), but it's as if he didn't even hesitate at all.

That being said, I am much more apt to being lenient to a movie that is actually an original idea and not some crappy remake or book adaptation. I'd say 7.5/10.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:10 pm

no spoiler font? :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:18 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:I actually agree with some of GF's questions about the plot. Especially the fact that there was so much fluid lost when it sprayed on the Wikus's face that it seems impossible they would still be able to start up the ship. Even after he met up with the two prawns and they knew he had ejected some of the fluid, there wasn't even a level of concern that he used up too much to still start the ship. I assumed they would capture the vial, bring it back to the ship and hope that it was enough. It might have built at least a little more tension.

I think the answer here isn't quantity of fluid but rather quantity of time. He stated over and over that it takes 20 years to make it, but they found the necessary amount of fluid in about 3 minutes outside their shanty. Seems to me that time, not fluid, is what's important to making the fuel.

AquaMan2342 wrote:I also can't believe they couldn't find the ship. They have a frickin video of the thing falling from the mothership, yet can't find it even though it was like 10 feet underground? It's not like it fell into a crater or something.

Yeah, this was very irritating to me, too. We could spot Iraqi tanks 15 feet under ground, and they expect us that an evil corporation with every tool at their disposal wouldn't tear up the earth to find the command module to the ship?

AquaMan2342 wrote:Anybody wonder if Chris was maybe the head prawn the entire time, explaining why his (and his son's) intelligence was so much higher than the average prawn?

Not the head, per se, but one of their elite (leader) class, yes. He was definitely much more intelligent than the others.

AquaMan2342 wrote:I also hated the inferences towards greed and profit in the movie. The guy's father-in-law throws him away like he's nothing without even a second thought? It's his daughter's husband lol. At least show a little bit of concern. I understand the decision he made (given the premise of the movie), but it's as if he didn't even hesitate at all.

This was the "social commentary" to the movie. District 6 was an apartheid camp where they treated people just like the prawns were treated and even forced them to move to another location for many of the same reasons they wanted to relocate the prawns.

Like I said before, many of the "holes" have explanations. They just may not be perfect explanations.

BTW, the name Christopher Johnson cracked me up. :-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:30 pm

District 9 - 6/10

I want to love this movie, I really do. I'm really wavering between giving it a 7 and giving it like a 4. It had that whole 'breath of fresh air' vibe, and I think that Wikus was a very good character throughout. However, after I was all finished with the opening portion of the movie (which was about mid-way through the amount of time they actually allocated to it), I just wasn't satisfied at any point really, during or after it. I'll say at least, though, it was better than Watchmen.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:52 pm

My list of unexplainable D9 plot holes:

1. They really couldn't find the ship under a few feet of dirt?
2. Why didn't anyone ever just chop off an alien's hand and use it to fire the weapon??
3. At the end, why was the guy being prosecuted for outing the evil corporation???
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:02 pm

woke up to "The Ruins" on HBO.... terrible 2/10

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:58 pm

I think the answer here isn't quantity of fluid but rather quantity of time. He stated over and over that it takes 20 years to make it, but they found the necessary amount of fluid in about 3 minutes outside their shanty. Seems to me that time, not fluid, is what's important to making the fuel.

i thought they made a point that it took them 20 years to find that much fluid. they found a little bit of fluid outside their shanty which they then processed and added to fluid they already had which finally gave them enough to operate the module. at least that's how i interpreted it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:14 pm

District 9: 8/10

I really liked it but spoilers...

I thought the ending was kind of blah, it sets up for another one maybe? Set 3 years later?
I really dont think any of the plot holes are that big, the command part of the ship crashing, who is to say he didnt hide it, or have some sort of alien cloaking?
I think that overall they will try to set up for another one but who knows, I think it was missing something.
:-?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:36 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:

i thought they made a point that it took them 20 years to find that much fluid. they found a little bit of fluid outside their shanty which they then processed and added to fluid they already had which finally gave them enough to operate the module. at least that's how i interpreted it.

Either way, I think we can agree that this, like other plot points, went woeful underexplained.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk