Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:09 am

Yoda wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:It's gotten to the point in this thread that I make a point to GO see any movie that GF doesn't like and will refuse to spend the money for one that he says he does like. That being said, I am going to see District 9 in about two hours.

Honestly, I don't go see a movie in a theater unless I know it would be worthwhile. The last movie I saw in the theater was The Watchmen in Imax when it first came out and The Dark Knight before that. I was very intrigued by the trailers and reviews for D9.

I can see if someone nitpicks at some of the plot holes but calling the movie terrible just doesn't make sense to me.

So you're admitting to making a mistake here, right?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:11 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:It's gotten to the point in this thread that I make a point to GO see any movie that GF doesn't like and will refuse to spend the money for one that he says he does like. That being said, I am going to see District 9 in about two hours.

Honestly, I don't go see a movie in a theater unless I know it would be worthwhile. The last movie I saw in the theater was The Watchmen in Imax when it first came out and The Dark Knight before that. I was very intrigued by the trailers and reviews for D9.

I can see if someone nitpicks at some of the plot holes but calling the movie terrible just doesn't make sense to me.

What was wrong with The Watchmen? I really enjoyed it. I read the graphic novel years ago and love the story. It is IMO the best comic book movie to date.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:18 am

Yoda wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:Honestly, I don't go see a movie in a theater unless I know it would be worthwhile. The last movie I saw in the theater was The Watchmen in Imax when it first came out and The Dark Knight before that. I was very intrigued by the trailers and reviews for D9.

What was wrong with The Watchmen? I really enjoyed it. I read the graphic novel years ago and love the story. It is IMO the best comic book movie to date.

It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. We had the discussion back when it came out, as I recall.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Metroid » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:It's gotten to the point in this thread that I make a point to GO see any movie that GF doesn't like and will refuse to spend the money for one that he says he does like.

totally. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:44 am

I didn't find too many plot holes in District 9 that couldn't be explained.

There was one that baffled me, but other than that, I was content with the rest.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Warning: May contain spoilers

It was ridiculously slow and drawn out.

there were scenes that were a total waste, like having him talking on the phone with his girlfriend for 5 minutes with the camera just focused on him and then they show that the phone was tapped (like anyone didnt see that coming). srsly how does a scene like that even make it into the movie.

there were quite a few stupid plot holes, like how are there 1.8 million aliens with tons of alien weaponry but a gang of nigerians or whatever they were somehow control a big part of the district and kill aliens at random? also how does the liquid that the aliens use for fuel somehow also turn humans into aliens? and if they spent 20 years trying to get every drop of that liquid, how come they didn't need to get more when a bunch of it sprayed on that dudes face? also if the aliens wanted to go home and peopl wanted them the leave, then why didn't we just let them leave? was the MIU preventing it because they wanted to figure out how the weapons worked or something?

there was very little action, the part when he gets into the mechwarrior was pretty cool but still inconsistent. when it activates it can use it's gravity thing to catch all those bullets but then later on it gets destroyed by getting shot up? was the guy just incapable of operating it correctly or something? i guess he just should have left it on autopilot.

the camera work was inconsistent. it started off with a documentary feel and then all the sudden it switches to just being a regular movie and switches back and forth throughout the movie. also, how did those people that were commenting for the documentary know everything that had gone on?

i could go on but i need to go to work, needless to say the movie was just really boring and was pretty much terrible.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:12 pm

there were scenes that were a total waste, like having him talking on the phone with his girlfriend for 5 minutes with the camera just focused on him and then they show that the phone was tapped (like anyone didnt see that coming). srsly how does a scene like that even make it into the movie.

Well yeah, I mean they could have triangulated his position even without tapping the phone when he made his first call but they still had to show the scene to move the plot along.

how are there 1.8 million aliens with tons of alien weaponry but a gang of nigerians or whatever they were somehow control a big part of the district and kill aliens at random?

I think that the aliens were trying to leave the planet not overrun it but I agree mostly with your point. That was definitely a plot hole.

also how does the liquid that the aliens use for fuel somehow also turn humans into aliens?

It seems that the alien engineering was based on genetics, which explains why the weapons were inoperable by humans.

if they spent 20 years trying to get every drop of that liquid, how come they didn't need to get more when a bunch of it sprayed on that dudes face?

Maybe they collected more than they needed just to be sure that they had enough?

also if the aliens wanted to go home and peopl wanted them the leave, then why didn't we just let them leave? was the MIU preventing it because they wanted to figure out how the weapons worked or something?

That was the reason.

there was very little action, the part when he gets into the mechwarrior was pretty cool but still inconsistent. when it activates it can use it's gravity thing to catch all those bullets but then later on it gets destroyed by getting shot up? was the guy just incapable of operating it correctly or something?

Yeah I think he just didn't know how to fully operate it.

the camera work was inconsistent. it started off with a documentary feel and then all the sudden it switches to just being a regular movie and switches back and forth throughout the movie.

I thought that was done well. Gave it some feel for realism of the situation.

also, how did those people that were commenting for the documentary know everything that had gone on?

Why wouldn't they? Everything had already happened and they were talking about what they heard/knew.

i could go on but i need to go to work, needless to say the movie was just really boring and was pretty much terrible.

I still don't believe that anyone could think the movie was terrible. Special effects and action alone were enough to make the movie at least watchable unless you are only into chick flicks.

The biggest plot hole for me was how weak the gangs and the assassins were. They can't even bring down this one dude who, based on our knowledge, has zero military training and never killed anyone before?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:21 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Warning: May contain spoilers

there were quite a few stupid plot holes, like how are there 1.8 million aliens with tons of alien weaponry but a gang of nigerians or whatever they were somehow control a big part of the district and kill aliens at random? also how does the liquid that the aliens use for fuel somehow also turn humans into aliens? and if they spent 20 years trying to get every drop of that liquid, how come they didn't need to get more when a bunch of it sprayed on that dudes face? also if the aliens wanted to go home and peopl wanted them the leave, then why didn't we just let them leave? was the MIU preventing it because they wanted to figure out how the weapons worked or something?

A lot of those have answers that aren't perfect but are reasonable...

Re: The weapons, they pointed out (quickly) that the aliens on earth were suspected to just be the worker aliens, incapable of thinking for themselves.

Re: Alien liquid, their weapons used a dna interaction. It's completely feasible that it would interact with human dna, but I will concede that it needed much more explanation.

Re: Sprayed fuel, he obviously didn't spray all of it.

Re: Why they didn't just leave, it's a combination of what you said, the fact that the command module was hidden, and the whole worker-alien concept. Even if they had the fuel, and even if MNU wouldn't stop them, there appeared to be very, very few among them even capable of flying the craft.

Re: Hidden command module, I think that was a pretty big plot hole. If you strongly believe that a command module detached from the ship, you'd sure as hell have found it buried under 5 feet of dirt.

Re: Lack of smart aliens, their flippant "we think it was a disease" was a poor explanation, but I guess that leaves things for them to answer later on.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Yoda wrote:
how are there 1.8 million aliens with tons of alien weaponry but a gang of nigerians or whatever they were somehow control a big part of the district and kill aliens at random?

I think that the aliens were trying to leave the planet not overrun it but I agree mostly with your point. That was definitely a plot hole.

The Nigerians had the prawns all hopped up on Fancy Feast. As silly as it sounds, they were technically running a drug trade and the aliens needed to comply so they wouldn't compromise the source of their fix. That's one explanation, anyway.

Also, as was mentioned before, the prawns were, for the most part, drones. Their behavior was pretty primitive which is why they could be manipulated by base emotions like fear. Kill one or 2 and everyone else falls in line, I guess.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Yes the special effect were good but there was actually very little action. Sure they blew a bunch of bodies upi with the alien weapons but eventually that gets old. the mechwarrior scene was really the only major action scene which is sad because they could have done some pretty entertaining stuff.

It still doesn't make much sense to me that the MUI needed to keep 1.8 million aliens from going home when they already have a ton of weapons and test subjects.

It's hard to respond to everything on my phone and I can't even read jts post very easily so I'll do it after work.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk